Overbombing

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Master Margarita
Amphetamine Filth

I have a recollection that a "major case of overbombing" or similar term was used by the UK forces in relation to bomber Harris antics over Dresden in WW2. Does anyone know if that is right / what the phrase a "slight case of..." derives from?
When was the last time you cut the catwalk caviar?
Big Si
School Bully

Master Margarita wrote:I have a recollection that a "major case of overbombing" or similar term was used by the UK forces in relation to bomber Harris antics over Dresden in WW2. Does anyone know if that is right / what the phrase a "slight case of..." derives from?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ?vi=glance
In the case of Overbombing (apprently the name of an aborted album from one of Sisters guitarist Adam Pearson's old bands) they've at least released the hits on the album in slightly different versions to give the disc more value
:?
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, wasn't it a Jonny Thunders recording?
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
hallucienate
Overbomber

3000 Revs?
khepri II
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

3000 Revs were posthumously honoured a couple of years ago when The Sisters Of Mercy used the title of The Revs unreleased debut album, "A Slight Case Of Overbombing", for their own collection of singles. :von:
Big Si
School Bully

khepri II wrote:3000 Revs were posthumously honoured a couple of years ago when The Sisters Of Mercy used the title of The Revs unreleased debut album, "A Slight Case Of Overbombing", for their own collection of singles. :von:
Thanks, and welcome to Heartland! :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well beat me with a wet kipper . I never realised the connection .
I saw 3000 revs a handful of times . I have a 3000 revs live tape & some demos somewhere . Not fantastic quality but listenable all the same .

Has anyone got any other good quality Revs recordings ?
khepri II

Snub Nose wrote:I would guess a "slight case" is a bastardisation of the original phase,
and points to the fact that the CD track listing is rather slanted
towards the heavier more OTT tracks.

can't verify the original phase though
call me a cynic, but isn't ASCOOB because of the very specific density of re release material, nothing to do with the loudness, or not of the tracks :?

afterall, it was, at least in part, another spoiler album to fullfil contractual obligations :von:
khepri II

Snub Nose wrote:I would guess a "slight case" is a bastardisation of the original phase,

call me a cynic, but isn't ASCOOB because of the very specific density of re release material, nothing to do with the loudness, or not of the tracks :?

afterall, it was, at least in part, another spoiler album to fullfil contractual obligations :von:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

khepri II wrote:

actually, that was my take on it too! :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Or a comment on how over-the-top some of the singles are? Like, oops, we blew up some small towns making these records?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Wasn't Andrew actually intent on calling the album 'Sorgenbrecher' -but was told otherwise by record exec's. Think it is in the issue of Q magazine where he lists his fav records.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

There was a story, some years ago, that AE wanted to give 'the next album' a German title. I don't know if it related to ASCOOB, though. I don't remember the german, but I think it was explained as the opposite of 'heart-breaker', something like 'care-taker' (without the oily overalls, obviously). And yes, the record company vetoed it.
Chris

mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ASCOOB is a pretty straight-forward compilation of the WEA singles, isn't it? Also, I remember reading an interview at the time of its release that the "overbombing" part of the title was referring to the phrase "to bomb" (to sell very few copies of a record).
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I read an idiotic review in, I think, the NME at the time, when the record was criticised for having no discernable logic to its running order. Duh! Apart from, like, exact order of release, running from the newest back to the oldest...Nothing any well-informed music journalist would be expected to work out, though...
Chris

Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

mugabe wrote:Also, I remember reading an interview at the time of its release that the "overbombing" part of the title was referring to the phrase "to bomb" (to sell very few copies of a record).
Isn't it called "to bomb" when you put amphetamines in a cigarette paper and swallows it? If that's the case it would give an accurate description of the songs :D
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"