Neph Vid early 2012

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
GC
Slight Overbomber

circle
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Excellent news :D

Was almost thinking that this DVD was like the fabled Sisters Fourth album :innocent:
darkcircleroom4.blogspot.com
DeWinter

I'd rather not have the DVD and have the polished versions of the "Fallen" demos. Or the new material that was apparantly ready to be released five years ago. I'm not shelling out for the same stuff yet again. :roll:
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."
James Blast
Banned

and when it happens...

<---breff not being held
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Being645
Wiki wizard

... I don't care.
James Blast
Banned

new The Sisters ellpee?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:Bloody hell...at last.
Only four years from show to DVD release ?? McCoy always was an amateur in the Eldritch wannabe stakes.
Being645
Wiki wizard

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:Bloody hell...at last.
Only four years from show to DVD release ?? McCoy always was an amateur in the Eldritch wannabe stakes.

:lol: ... anyway, he can still try compete with the ranges of Wayne ...
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Oh goody! Promises from Carl!

I'll believe it when I'll see it. :evil:
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

The Europe-wide deal marks the next chapter in the band’s evolution, and heralds a new dawn for their legions of fans around the world.

Legions, right....
radiojamaica
Overbomber

EMI... wowsa, didn't see that coming :eek:

Let's hope it actually materialises.
in dub we trust
DeWinter

Am a bit bemused as to why any of us would want to purchase a live album, it's not like Carl's famed for his banter with the crowd at gigs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the sound track to the live DVD, that takes money-grabbing cynicism to CoF proportions.

Being well aware of my reputation as a nay-sayer, I have to ask if I was the only one who didn't think "Mourning Sun" was anything special? After the "Fallen" demos, which were really rather good, we ended up with an album where you get earstrain trying to hear anything apart from McCoy's vocals and power chords. There ARE good songs on the album, but they're ruine by the awful mix and Carl's habit of recording three minutes of song and then adding five minutes of techno-wankery, tinkly Tubular Bells noises and choirs to the end of them. :|
James Blast
Banned

yer the life and soul of the party man :|
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote: Am a bit bemused as to why any of us would want to purchase a live album, it's not like Carl's famed for his banter with the crowd at gigs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the sound track to the live DVD, that takes money-grabbing cynicism to CoF proportions.

Being well aware of my reputation as a nay-sayer, I have to ask if I was the only one who didn't think "Mourning Sun" was anything special? After the "Fallen" demos, which were really rather good, we ended up with an album where you get earstrain trying to hear anything apart from McCoy's vocals and power chords. There ARE good songs on the album, but they're ruine by the awful mix and Carl's habit of recording three minutes of song and then adding five minutes of techno-wankery, tinkly Tubular Bells noises and choirs to the end of them. :|
Spot on as usual, DeWinter. the last live album was so polished that it bore no relation to the usual gruff echoey stuff they played live and drastically improved the likes of Trees Come down for example. as for the banter - if it was a good gig you might get a "thanks, good night" if you were lucky. Better than a po-faced lecture on Wicca though, I suppose (which he saved for the lyrics).
And how many people need another live DVD to go with the three already released. there's only so much watching other people sitting on each other's shoulders sending showers of ripped up phone book into the air a person can take.
And as for Mourning Sun ("Morning, Dad"), there's a great review on Amazon UK where it's described as like opening Goth Time Capsule from 1987. At least TON had the decency to give all the inter-song wankery track numbers - it's what the skip button was invented for.
sultan2075
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:Am a bit bemused as to why any of us would want to purchase a live album, it's not like Carl's famed for his banter with the crowd at gigs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be the sound track to the live DVD, that takes money-grabbing cynicism to CoF proportions.

A thoroughly disappointing record indeed. Even the songwriting is subpar. McCoy at his best needed those other guys. And--as the Rubicon record proved, I think--they needed him. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The parts with other dudes attached are just dull. So, er... spot-on assessment on your part.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I liked Mourning Sun
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

I agree with Mark.
Mourning Sun was way more convincing than the band trying to be a credible death metal band.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I wanted to like Mourning Sun. I just thought it was dullsville--iffy production and and iffy songwriting.

Zoon, on the other hand, was (and still is) unassailably brilliant. Almost as good as or maybe even as good as The Nephilim, which I think was the band's peak.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

sultan2075 wrote:... The Nephilim, which I think was the band's peak.
Agreed. Totally.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
Agreed. Totally.
Yep, me too. I think Elyzium was a great attempt to explore (not so) new grounds and give this musical movement a new way out. I really like this record too.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Elyzium sounds like the Nephilim trying to be a Pink Floyd cover band to my ears. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but it's tough to beat The Nephilim.
--
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Bertran De Born wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Agreed. Totally.
Yep, me too. I think Elyzium was a great attempt to explore (not so) new grounds and give this musical movement a new way out. I really like this record too.
Me too. The big disappointment with Mourning Sun was that it had taken him 15 years to come up songs directly ripped off from the Sisters (title track, a copy of SKOS) and KJ (Xiberia = Pssyche) to name but two. It also had the Tubular Bells-style stuff which started on Elyzium to wade through, whereas The Nephilim was pure quality, with no 'cracks and hollows'
Bertran De Born
Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote:Elyzium sounds like the Nephilim trying to be a Pink Floyd cover band to my ears. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but it's tough to beat The Nephilim.
I totally agree, that's why I think these two albums are their finests!
You can give them some credits to have tried & moved on after "the nephilim", and not trying to do "the nephilim II, the return of the vengeance"
DeWinter

I'll put my hand up and say I like "Elyzium" better than anything else done by Carl, Andy or Wayne. I think at the time of "Elyzium" we were being subjected to Von Bon Jovi and "Visionary When Wet/Slippery Thing"!
Maybe it's the brilliant production (which makes you wonder what "Mourning Sun" could have been with a decent producer) and "Sumerland" which proudly claims the DeWinter position of "Best Song Ever".
As for "Zoon"..just not my type of music, so I guess I'm not the best judge. Friends of mine who liked Pantera loved it, so they got my copy. Judging by the quite remarkable airy-fairy floatiness of Rubicon's first offering I suppose McCoy left the band because he wanted to do something "harder".
DeWinter

James Blast wrote:yer the life and soul of the party man :|
Strangely enough I'm known for my sunny nature in the real world. The internet brings out my inner curmudgeon, which is possibly why I don't use it much!