The White Stripes

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Whilst we're waiting for the next one to arrive, (Sisters album that is), what do you guys think of Detroit's finest? Who's in love with Jack and who wants to bed Meg? Answers on a post please ... :?:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

one trick ponies ;)

granted its quite a good trick, but if there were a dozen other good bands around right now i dont think they would get a secind look :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Loki

Four trick ponies! There is something there that has been growing over the four albums. At first listen I couldn't decide whether 'Elephant' was destined to become a classic or a piece of crap. Some months on I do lean towards the classic theory, but do draw the line at the :notworthy: 'saviours of rock'n'roll and future for mankind' :notworthy: hype. 8)
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Hi,

Whitestripes.... i just dont get it, i like to think im droadminded musically, but to me they are just not that good... the odd song is catchy but ulimately not satisfying to listen to.

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Loki

Fair comment. All my close friends don't listen to/understand the Sisters and also 'don't get' them. Horses for courses, or trick ponies as the Mighty Quiff would utter.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

They're tremendous. Don't wanna be Jack, don't really wanna shag Meg (although the mock-stoned drum expressions she pulls have a certain 'something'), they are simply a top notch act - far better live than on record.

Dave
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Loki

Thanks for that Dave :notworthy: . I was beginning to wonder how long it would be before all the candy cane children came out of hiding to fight their corner. Surely there must be more ready to have a ball and a biscuit ..? :?
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Seen em live too.... sorry :(

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

I'm with Quiff. (and the video to "Seven Nation Army" makes me feel sick)
Hell is other people
Lars Svensson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Let's face it, they're crap and irritating... :evil:

Simplistic nonsense and tuneless whinge over a boring beat.

And before anyone says simplistic nonsense is where rawk first started, then don't. Yes it could be argued it did, but I thought we'd moved on a bit since then... :roll:
Amused to death...
RobF
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I was lucky enough to catch them at the social in Notts before it all kicked off for them, and I have to say in a room that small (about 120 peeps) they rip the fuckin' roof off. They are a band designed for sweaty rooms and seven inch vinyl.

Then again I've always been a Delta Blues boy, and tried to keep up with the detroit punk scene from afar, some cracking acts over the last couple of years, and some s**t ones.

My advice is, wait till the students go off them, and go and see them when they're playing toilets again, they'll change your mind.

Then again if I ever hear Holtel Yorba again i'll have a hissy fit. :roll:
"...by the time I get to Arizona..."
Thea
Overbomber

can't stand 'em.
the singer's too yelpy and the brother/sister/husband/wife rumors are just creepy.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Don't wanna shag either of them, and can't be bothered to go and see them - probably one-trick ponies is about right. For a novelty act, at least the gimmick is fairly well-thought-out. But Elephant is very entertaining, every now and then.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Serendipityhaven
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

frankly neither of them appeal remotely in the physical sense to me.as for musically-depends how you choose to rate em dont you think?as musicians only,how well they play,live sets etc-from what ive heard they're not setting the world on fire with their technical ability.
as for the tunes themselves,seems to me the Strokes kind of prepared the musical masses for T.W.S.to me the effect is of two people having a go writing tunes and playing them in the confines of their own garage at home;during the weekend when theres no work to go to.
dont mean that in an insulting way,its just stripped down to its basic form i think,with no attempts to "disguise" the wobbly vocals and things.thats where the charm comes into it.its refreshing in its honesty.I.M.H.O :)
You know you're something special,
And you look like you're the best
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

the white stripes are top notch.

those of you who disagree with this statement are just wrong. except paddy who is merely misguided.

that is all.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"