MP3 player (not iPod)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Any recommendations for an mp3 player?

I need at least 40GB capacity, if not more. And I want it to go loud.

Not an iPod because I want it to work with my Linux boxen without a lot of hassle.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wow, do they still make zune? :lol:

on the bright side, it would play well with the xbox ;D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Actually, thinking about it...

I'm due an upgrade on my phone contract in February. Anyone know of an android phone with capacity in the order of 60GB?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Answered my own question: http://androidforums.com/android-lounge ... phone.html

Some phones support the new 64GB SDXC, some don't. Well that might be worth looking at.
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

If you want proper loud,I recommend you also get one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-E6-Portabl ... 599&sr=8-1

I use one with my Sony Walkman,I love the walkman,it's p*ss easy to use,but it just isn't loud enough! Apparently they are "restricted" to prevent hearing loss. Yeah,fook that! I want my ears bleeding thank you very much,and this headphone amp really pumps up both the volume,and quality of the sound.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Make sure you check out the file system being used by the player - some use proprietary file systems that aren't recognised by Linux when you connect them by USB.

I had a Creative ZEN MP3 player that Linux couldn't connect to. Pile of crap.

(edit: I did finally manage to get Linux to mount the player, but I had to install libmtp and mount the player from the command line - too much hassle)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

That looks wicked, thanks 8)
lazarus corporation wrote:Make sure you check out the file system being used by the player - some use proprietary file systems that aren't recognised by Linux when you connect them by USB.
That was one of my big worries.

In fact, I've put Rockbox on my iPod for that very reason (although it did (kind of) work with Rhythmbox).

Given that I've replaced the click-wheel and the battery on my iPod, and now the headphone socket needs to be replaced, I worry that I'm fighting a losing battle in trying to keep it going. :|
—Bertrand Russell
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

Could anyone recomend a cheaper mp3 player at say 16 gig , as i now need one. I have tried Zen X-fi and Sansa clip. They don't seem to last a long time without breaking. As for the loudness , they come set as EU regulations , factory settings ( meaning not loud enough ) but i reset my Sansa , back to loud. My Sansa suddenly started to make the vocals quiet and the backing loud , how strange.
Any help would be greatly apreciated on advice for a new cheaper mp3 player, not a mp3 player on a phone. Sorry for stealing your thread Markfiend , but just adding to it.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hunslet Ramone wrote:Sorry for stealing your thread Markfiend , but just adding to it.
No apologies necessary, the more the merrier. 8)
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I use my Samsung Galaxy, but I'm sure they've got an inbuilt Governor on the sound levels. :evil:

Fiendy, what's the gig with your signatures pal?
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

markfiend wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:Make sure you check out the file system being used by the player - some use proprietary file systems that aren't recognised by Linux when you connect them by USB.
That was one of my big worries.

In fact, I've put Rockbox on my iPod for that very reason (although it did (kind of) work with Rhythmbox).
From what I've found out Microsoft Zune (unsurprisingly) and Creative Zen don't work well with Linux (although they can be hacked into working).

With Creative Zen it's the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) that causes the problems, although it seems that Linux can now deal with this - certainly with Amarok, but as stated above you need libmtp installed (a simple apt-get install - nothing fancy).
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think I'll try to get a 64GB micro-SD for my next phone. At least I know that Android works with Linux! ;D

I've bought some fairly decent Skull-Candy headphones recently that blow those nasty in-ear things out of the water (both in terms of sound quality and volume).
timsinister wrote:Fiendy, what's the gig with your signatures pal?
:lol: I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice. Our Glorious Leader gave me shell access to the box on which this place runs; I immediately abused the privilege and installed a script which, once an hour, updates my sig with the output of the Linux command ddate.
—Bertrand Russell