Musings on the Apollo missions

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Machine Regime wrote: they're a band, not Apollo m*****n control.. :wink:
The onboard computers on the Apollo moon shots were comparable in memory and processing power to...

the chip in a musical greetings card. ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:The onboard computers on the Apollo moon shots were comparable in memory and processing power to...

the chip in a musical greetings card. ;D
There were men in those days. The heroes of old, men of renown.

Now? Bureaucratic and regulatory red-tape would prevent it ever happening.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
I think I'll split this out, we're a bit off topic...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Quiff Boy wrote:BIG RIG! :lol:

amazing it ever worked tbh.

and the good doktor circa 2011:

how times change... finally! :D
Hah, wonderful ... ;D ... and it has definitely made a difference ... ;D ;D ;D ...

markfiend wrote:
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
I think I'll split this out, we're a bit off topic...
Oh yesss ... ;D ;D ;D ... :lol: ...
Last edited by Being645 on 14 Dec 2011, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oops, I accidentally included your post when I split the topic. Sorry!
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Well, hell now ..... :lol: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sorry!

Anyway, the furthest people get from the Earth these days is low-Earth-orbit (the International Space Station ranges from 376 km to 398 km altitude); the Moon is around a thousand times as far away.

If we were to scale down the Earth-moon system so the Earth was equivalent in size to a basketball, the ISS is at an altitude of about 7.5mm (just over a quarter of an inch). At that scale, the Moon is over 7 metres (23 feet) away.
—Bertrand Russell