pc audio geeks - advice required

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'm looking for a decent soundcard with minimal latency.

i use windows xp, running cubase 5 vst32... i commonly have 3 or 4 vst effects and 2 or 3 vst instruments running alongside a handful of audio samples at any one time... and it's grinding to halt :(

pc is a p4 1.6ghz with 256mb ram.

i'm going to double the memory, but i think my soundcard is letting me down too.

my current card is a turtle beach santa cruz. its average. ok, it makes a decent sound but its got quite bad latency and its not really designed for the multiple vst thang :roll:.

what are m-audio cards like?

been looking at an m-audio delta 1010lt - http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/1010lt.php

:von:

i was talking to a guy here at work last week and he has the fully fledged 1010 version, but thats a little out of my price range :(

are the 1010lt cards any good? and can anyone suggest any other good cards? :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Hiya QB, not had much time to research this lately, but have heard good news on the new SoundBlaster cards..Audigy 2 I beleive.

I refuse to buy any more music/technology magazines of late as I seem to end up spending money :wink:

My answer was to get a Roland U8 USB digital studio which supports Cubase, Cakewalk etc. it cost £350ish, but as the audio processing and mixing are all kept away from the PC, it seems to work very well.

http://www.edirol.it/europe/details.asp ... K&code=121

I'm currently using it on a P2 with 256 MB of RAM without any latency problems...it also controls my QY700 sequencer and takes guitar directly in too, and comes with a bunch of Roland/Boss pedal effects built in.

Plus it has real faders as I need to feel I am actually doing something with faders!

As I said, the real benefit is the "desk" takes the load of sound proccesing from the PC -so maybe worth a look....

Current kit list here for info is -

Front Line

Les Paul Studio
Fender Strat Ultra
Precision Bass
Martin Acoustic
Weird Vox electric

Fender princetown
Fender Blues De Ville (all Valve and loud as F*ck)
Laney LC25 (valve replica of the old Fender Champ)
Fender M80 (Bombroof/Indestructable solid state amp)
Alesis SR-16
Zoom GR 16 amp simulator (great, but you cannot save settings)
Roland PC 300 Midi controller keyboard
30000 stomp boxes...(well at least 20 in fact)

Anyway, back to the point, the U8 seems to really take the load away from the PC, so maybe worth thinking about....

Hope that was some kind of help, at least you have my recent experiences to add to the pot.
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i use a soundblaster live, :roll:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Audigy 2 fer me, sounds great with ProTools Lite.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...