Lift me Up - a chance lost?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Would you like Andrew Eldritch to sing "Lift Me Up" with Moby as it was originaly destined to?

Yes!
67%
Nope!
14%
Who is Moby?
5%
I prefer a song with Eldritch, Lemmy and Rob Halford all together!
14%

Total votes: 42
iesus
Overbomber

According to Moby the single "Lift me Up" was written to be performed by :von: but when he tried to find him, it was impossible to contact him.

"It's his first album not to incorporate samples, and Moby sings on a lot of the tracks himself, in many cases by default. The first single, Lift Me Up, was in Moby's mind a Sisters of Mercy tribute. He originally tried to get their frontman, Andrew Eldritch, to sing it, but couldn't find him.

"I wrote the songs and then I was looking to find other people to sing them, and for some reason I couldn't find anybody whose voice I liked. I found people whose voices were a lot better than mine..." "

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... nd-up.html

This is mentioned before in "other Eldritch works"
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13370

It seems also that :von: 's view about some things in america has common ground with Moby's.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Me_Up_%28Moby_song%29

Do we know if :von: hear anything about this even after song release and his reaction?
It would be very interesting to record the song even so many years after together with Moby ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i didn't know that :o

love moby's 'hotel' album and that's a great track.

'spiders' and 'raining again' are better tracks though ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Moby is a cnut.

When I was working at the premium-rate phone-line place we had a ring-tone brand called "Moby Monkey" -- a hipster monkey holding his mobile, who we would customise for print ads in various publications. (There was a snowboarding version, a football-fan version, a DJ version, a gimp-mask version for Bizarre magazine, etc. etc.)

We once got a letter from Moby's solicitors threatening us with legal action if we didn't stop trying to "pass off" as him. It got filed in the round file and we never heard from him again. Made us laugh though.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
BeeBeeOh
Amphetamine Filth

Such a great story, thanks for sharing. I find it a bit weird that Moby couldn't contact AE - I somehow imagine that music industry insiders all know each other, or at least know someone who knows someone who knows the person in question... Anyway, I love the song, and would've been even better sung by Eldo.
I have just as much of a dark side as the next person.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

"He originally tried to get their frontman, Andrew Eldritch, to sing it, but couldn't find him."

I bet he actually did contact :von: but that :von: himself did a very good salesman agency chap voice: "Aaaaw, noo, no idea where to find him. No-one does, by the way. Sorry, friend. Good Luck."[/i]
guns & cars & accidents
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

dinky daisy wrote:"He originally tried to get their frontman, Andrew Eldritch, to sing it, but couldn't find him."

I bet he actually did contact :von: but that :von: himself did a very good salesman agency chap voice: "Aaaaw, noo, no idea where to find him. No-one does, by the way. Sorry, friend. Good Luck."
:lol: I bet you're right!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I read that in an interview at the time of its release (maybe even in a headline or so). Horrible isn't it...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Being645
Above the Chemist

A great song to be sung by Eldritch, though I understand he just couldn't do that at the time ...

but hell, what he hade made of it ... :lol: :twisted: ;D ;D ;D ...

Andrew, Lemmy and Rob in one song ... no, sorry that were, IMHO,
only another Dancing In The Street thing, good and cool, maybe,
and nothing special, anyway ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

It would have been great - like the (posthumous) Jim Morrison/Fatboy Slim collaboration Bird of Prey or Iggy/Death in Vegas' Aisha.
Given :von: 's long-standing professed love of techno/dance/dubstep etc, I'm quite surprised he didn't go for it.
mh
Above the Chemist

It would have involved having to go into a studio! :eek:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

mh wrote:It would have involved having to go into a studio! :eek:
But with someone else putting up the cash for it ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:When I was working at the premium-rate phone-line place
Did you have to do lots of dirty talk?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
markfiend wrote:When I was working at the premium-rate phone-line place
Did you have to do lots of dirty talk?
:lol: fortunately not. Some guy did once post us a photocopy of his penis, nevertheless.
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Nope!
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:It would have involved having to go into a studio! :eek:
:notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

I'm not impressed. Not by the song, not by Moby, not by the idea Eldritch singing it. I do like the fact that Eldritch could not be found! :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

:von: actually singing, that would be new.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

At this point, I'd take 'Lift Me Up', another SSV album, anything. Don't really matter either way though, cuz we ain't gonna be getting 'em!
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

as we know now financially it would be great deal for :von: , not to mention that it would be nice reminder.
SteBacchus
Amphetamine Filth

Would of been nice to hear. You never know, maybe on a future remix
I don't doubt and I don't take direction....
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:It would have been great - like the (posthumous) Jim Morrison/Fatboy Slim collaboration Bird of Prey or Iggy/Death in Vegas' Aisha.
Given :von: 's long-standing professed love of techno/dance/dubstep etc, I'm quite surprised he didn't go for it.
(Re. Your last paragraph)

Given his like for Moby (there's an interview somewhere) I think this can therefore shush any rumours that he didn't want to do it and genuinely was'nt contactable. As per.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”