Ever followed a band around?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Maybe you can help a friend with her project? :D

Mission
If you ever followed a band, at any time, for any amount of time, we would like to hear about your experiences. Or if you were in a band, or worked for a band that had a following we would like to chat to you to as well!

We are all independent, professional writers, photographers and artists who originally met on the road in the eighties. So if you were part of this culture between 85 and 95 we probably know you anyway.

We'd like to pop over to your house again and listen to you talk about your experiences and look at your photos, see your treasured t shirts and memorabilia. Put some records on. Have a laugh, maybe shed a tear. Perhaps have tea and toast (if that's alright with you).

We are in a position to make a professional looking documentary, which may even become a movie with the right backing (You never know!). But it is your input and belief in the project which is vital, if we are going to tell our collective story objectively. The time has come. This is our Quadrophenia (but without Sting and his rubbish hair/dancing).

Via Facebook: (preferred)
http://www.facebook.com/Bugwriter
http://www.facebook.com/Bugwriter/info

Direct email:
bugwriter@ymail.com

Or via Heartland:
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/profile.ph ... ile&u=5077

Thanks in advance :D :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The project is being driven by a gang of old sisters, ghost dance, salvation & mish followers :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:The project is being driven by a gang of old sisters, ghost dance, salvation & mish followers :)
...and by people who fancy having some free tea and toast, apparently. But you know it won't stop there - oh no, they'll expect marmite, or jam, or marmalade, or some other thing, and "oh, I don't like teabag tea" so they'll have you running down to the shops for some oolong.

Be warned - if there's a knock at your door, and standing on the doorstep is a group of people who make the Mormons look like people you'd want to invite in, and some of them are carrying their own china, don't let 'em in! :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

honey, those people are us...
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I did follow some bands in the 80s and 90s, but when they played in Germany, so you'd have to travel a bit for that cup of tea :wink:
Emerald Green
Road Kill

EvilBastard wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:The project is being driven by a gang of old sisters, ghost dance, salvation & mish followers :)
...and by people who fancy having some free tea and toast, apparently. But you know it won't stop there - oh no, they'll expect marmite, or jam, or marmalade, or some other thing, and "oh, I don't like teabag tea" so they'll have you running down to the shops for some oolong.

Be warned - if there's a knock at your door, and standing on the doorstep is a group of people who make the Mormons look like people you'd want to invite in, and some of them are carrying their own china, don't let 'em in! :lol:
marmite? jam? marmalade? Manna from heaven that... I think I lived on white toast and co-op tea from 86 - 92 :)
True Love Doth Pass Away
Emerald Green
Road Kill

BTW thanks to Quiff Boy for plugging the project :notworthy:
True Love Doth Pass Away
GC
Slight Overbomber

Emerald Green wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:

marmite? jam? marmalade? Manna from heaven that... I think I lived on white toast and co-op tea from 86 - 92 :)
I can accept all of the above.....as long as they've got no dogs with a piece of string as a lead.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:honey, those people are us...
...precisely! :lol:
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:I can accept all of the above.....as long as they've got no dogs with a piece of string as a lead.
Well, you know, if you allow New Model Army fans into your home then you deserve everything you get! :P
Hank Moody
GC
Slight Overbomber

I was never a follower but was always fascinated by them....i used to feel superior but also very jealous of them...
GC
Slight Overbomber

Gollum's Cock wrote:I was never a follower but was always fascinated by them....i used to feel superior but also very jealous of them...
What i meant to say was i'm looking forward to seeing more of this project....
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Quiff Boy wrote:Ever followed a band around?
Not since the restraining order.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There was a good quote in the Comments underneath that recent Goffs article in the Guardian about this phenomenon : "Though give or take the odd band still going from that time (New Model Army being the obvious example), following a band about & doing all the pyramids & shoulders stuff isnt really something you seem to get anymore. A wet tuesday afternoon spent at Trowell services waiting for a lift to take you to Leicester to see a dodgy band you've already seen five times that week - youngsters dont know what they're missing!" :notworthy:
Sums it up really. I stopped following bands in that way once the followers started giving themselves a name, printing their own t-shirts/fanzines etc, thinking they had a divine right to be on the guestlist and that they had proprietorial rights over the moshpit. :roll:
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

I love all that following stuff - I think its a real shame it doesn't exist in the same way any more.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
mh
Above the Chemist

I once followed Spiritualized around for a grand total of 2 gigs, but I don't think that's quite what they're looking for... ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was too fond of my creature comforts to ever properly follow a band. The closest I ever came was hitching back to Leeds from the Sisters NEC gig in '92. And that was a fracking disaster, I think I got back home around 11am the next day.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I was too fond of my creature comforts to ever properly follow a band. The closest I ever came was hitching back to Leeds from the Sisters NEC gig in '92. And that was a fracking disaster, I think I got back home around 11am the next day.
You should have got the coach back with the rest of us! :)
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

IIRC I missed it. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

Where's Scotty? He'd be the man they want. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Emerald Green
Road Kill

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:There was a good quote in the Comments underneath that recent Goffs article in the Guardian about this phenomenon : "Though give or take the odd band still going from that time (New Model Army being the obvious example), following a band about & doing all the pyramids & shoulders stuff isnt really something you seem to get anymore. A wet tuesday afternoon spent at Trowell services waiting for a lift to take you to Leicester to see a dodgy band you've already seen five times that week - youngsters dont know what they're missing!" :notworthy:
Sums it up really. I stopped following bands in that way once the followers started giving themselves a name, printing their own t-shirts/fanzines etc, thinking they had a divine right to be on the guestlist and that they had proprietorial rights over the moshpit. :roll:
I couldn't believe it when I saw that article! :eek:

I think that's why the whole thing was such an interesting social phenomenon. With hindsight it was at times (well very often) a ridiculous thing to do but the tribalism & camaraderie held it all together. Sadly this tribalism encouraged some really unpleasant attitudes and behaviour at times, experienced both as tension and one-upmanship within followings and sometimes as outright violence to people outside the 'gang'. :(
True Love Doth Pass Away
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Where the f**k is Scotty?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

It's a big regret of mine that I never got a kit bag out & followed any of my favorite bands on tour. In hindsight I'd have loved to have followed the Sisters, Smiths, Chameleons, Spear in 84-85, The Mish 86-88 or ROA, Balaam in 86-87.

My gig going years were 1985-90 (I was aged 15-20) & peaked in 1990, when IIRC, I went to 100 gigs but 90+ were in either Leeds or Bradford. Sadly I was too young to follow the above bands when I was 14-17, going on 18 but kick myself now that I didn't go for it with the Stone Roses in 1989. I was finally earning decent money (relatively speaking as a 19 year old) by then & should have gone on the road. Can't really think of any bands that I've liked enough to follow post 1989.
Give me one good reason
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:I stopped following bands in that way once the followers started giving themselves a name, printing their own t-shirts/fanzines etc, thinking they had a divine right to be on the guestlist and that they had proprietorial rights over the moshpit. :roll:
Ah yes. Because there's no such thing as a Heartland t-shirt!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
DerekR
Doobie Brother

weebleswobble wrote:Where the f**k is Scotty?
I've no seen or heard from him in over a year. Mind you I'm shite at keeping in touch myself :oops:

We need a mini-meet!