How to look goth without upsetting your parents

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

For all you dodgy darklings, I stumbled across this a minute ago.

http://www.wikihow.com/Look-Gothic-With ... ting-Upset
if you go to church, continue to do so. (It won't ruin your goth credibility, but please be sure to leave the latex and leather at home.)
:eek:
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wow.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

being dead could also help. no one could blame you for pale skin, black clothes and sleeping in coffin.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

It's rather silly/sad advice at times, I guess...but by the same token, I'm guessing that you lot've never been around nor lived with any right-wing, gay-hating Xtian "fundies." I'm in that exact boat, right now, by the way. Felt it necessary to hide my JD t-shirt yesterday, as a matter of fact... :evil: :cry: :urff: :roll:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pista
Cureboi

I do recall coming home with a blue-black mohican one day after a couple of years of messy bleached spikes.
We lived at the end of a cul de sac and my mum saw me coming down the road & locked me out.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Good grief.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The first time I came home with a pierced ear, my mother said "You've had your ear pierced? Only homosexuals have their ears pierced!" :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

my parents loved how i dressed :)

i never felt like i was "rebelling" or that i had anything to kick back against or that i couldn't express for fear of angering my family.

i always assumed that (amongst my peers at least) that was fairly common... i guess maybe not? :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Quiff Boy wrote:my parents loved how i dressed :)

i never felt like i was "rebelling" or that i had anything to kick back against or that i couldn't express for fear of angering my family.

i always assumed that (amongst my peers at least) that was fairly common... i guess maybe not? :?
Nah - you were simply lucky enough to have parents who weren't ignorant. My mom loved, for the most part, how I dressed and did my makeup back when I was first "gothing out" (she even loved the Sissies! ;D), but my father told me that it was ugly and off-putting, and that it wholly explained why guys weren't interested in me, etc., etc. :roll: :evil:
Big Si
School Bully

SINsister wrote:Nah - you were simply lucky enough to have parents who weren't ignorant. My mom loved, for the most part, how I dressed and did my makeup back when I was first "gothing out" (she even loved the Sissies! ;D), but my father told me that it was ugly and off-putting, and that it wholly explained why guys weren't interested in me, etc., etc. :roll: :evil:
"it explained why the wrong type of guys weren't interested" :wink: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i also was lucky enough to have mom that doesn't bother how i was dressed. when i was like 14 or 15 and i was me(n)tal head, i had long hair and my first earrings, not long after 4 more i painted my nails black (not long, but still), and after that i cut my hair and dyed them black (well my mom did this, like she did that few times after [i guess that cost me receding hairline, but hell with that]). and only people who had problem with that were, obviously, teachers and nun teaching religion in public school (that probably because i also wasn't attend to religion), they even made me go to school psychologist. aw, how i love public schools.
christophe
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:The first time I came home with a pierced ear, my mother said "You've had your ear pierced? Only homosexuals have their ears pierced!" :lol:
reminds me of some of the conversations I had with my mother
me: 'I'm thinking about getting a tattoo'
mum: 'its your life, you should decide'
me: 'I went and got a appointment to have it done'
mum: 'ok, if you have given it a lot of thought'
me: 'I'm ready leave for the tattoo shop now'
mum: 'your the disgrace of the family!!!!'

now she likes it because it is not too big and it easy to hide, and because its the head and star symbol ;D
(I lied about that last bit) :wink:
Another Shade of You.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

my mum didn't like my hair all backcombed and crimped, but she let me do her makeup. must have done something right.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
GC
Slight Overbomber

Wear a yellow Barcelona FC shirt and repeat 'we're not Goth'
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Being young is a very long time ago for me but....

Part of the point of whatever you dress up in is to upset your parents, isn't it?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

million voices wrote:Part of the point of whatever you dress up in is to upset your parents, isn't it?
It is? I've never understood that notion. *Shrug* Other people don't generally factor into such decisions, in my case.
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I just did whatever I did. In the eyes of the rest of the world, if I looked cool, that was okay. If I looked a tw*t, that was okay too. I knew that the tw*ts ran the world and kicked the heads in, and that I pleased myself and accepted the head-kicking when I couldn't defend myself. I had to choose to do what was necessary to please myself and to get by. Ultimately I wasn't pleasing anyone but myself so the rest of the world could go and f*ck itself. Even if it f*cked me for some unpleasant moments at varying times each day. It kind of opens your eyes to Liverpool (for that was where I was) when you spend half an hour getting ready to go out for some milk in the morning and half an hour to fix the f*ckin cuts afterwards.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

You have spent time and effort creating an outside "you" that reflects the unique and creative
inside you.

You are on your way out

Scenario One: Mother says "Oh daughter dearest you look absolutely darling. Mrs Goggins was wearing an oufit just like that at the Womens Institute meeting just the other week and I believe her daughter Tabatha has one in Cerisse. You will have to let me borrow it."

Scenario Two: Mother says "Oh my God! What the hell is that that you have got on. If you think you are going out dressed like that you are mistaken. You look like a" (insert suitable adjective) etc etc

Which reaction would you prefer??
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Pista
Cureboi

Anne Robinson's got the right idea.
Bet she never gets her head kicked in.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pista wrote:Anne Robinson's got the right idea.
Bet she never gets her head kicked in.
Which is remarkable considering how vile she is to people.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Of all the youth cults of my youth (mod/metal/ska/punk etc), the goth scene seemed to attract a large number who were into the look as much as the music. These people are those who have moved on to the curious phenomenon that is Steampunk and hang around Whitby in their best dressing up clothes ("look at me ! look at me!") a couple of weekends a year. Those who were into the music hang around forums like this, forlornly hoping for a new album ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Of all the youth cults of my youth (mod/metal/ska/punk etc), the goth scene seemed to attract a large number who were into the look as much as the music. These people are those who have moved on to the curious phenomenon that is Steampunk and hang around Whitby in their best dressing up clothes ("look at me ! look at me!") a couple of weekends a year. Those who were into the music hang around forums like this, forlornly hoping for a new album ...
:lol: indeed ;D
—Bertrand Russell