Alt-fest in 2014???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Mav787
One life, all I need

What chance The Sisters headlining a stage at this festival?

http://www.alt-fest.com/

Now the organisers have got funds through Kickstarter they are moving onto securing the headliners.

I would have thought this would appeal to :von: , especially as this year is looking quiet. As they're not a goth band :innocent: they could headline the industrial stage. Nice payday for not that much effort.

I ask this having bought my ticket already at the reduced price and with my fingers firmly crossed waiting for them to be announced!
DrDoom
Road Kill

probably more the metal stage

I would think any gig that pays the asking price would appeal.
Pista
Cureboi

I know someone involved & am told the headliner is a big name.
But she's not letting on who :|

Working on it :wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Fields of the Nephilim are confirmed.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Will be pleasantly surprised if this festival comes to fruition, with or without TSOM, given the current financial problems of many established festivals and the problems magazines catring for the alt crowd have experienced. I expect :von: would want some serious cash up front before agreeing to be added to the roster.
DrDoom
Road Kill

They've done a kickstarter project to raise the initial capital so they could book the headlines.

I'm assuming the smaller bands announced so far were happy to sign up without any financial comitment up front.
Pista
Cureboi

If I understand right, the fan funding projects require the event organiser/ band etc. to stump up a certain percentage initially for marketing & promotion.
I think the smaller acts will pull in a fair few punters & maybe they even know who the headliner will be so they are pretty much assured of exposure & maybe some dosh too.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DrDoom
Road Kill

It seems the kickstarter project has brought in more than double what the alt-fest organisers were originally asking for so I will be interested to see what headline bands they sign up.

I do worry a little that there just arn't enough people in the UK to fill this kind of festival. UK industrial festivals such as Infest and Resistanz pull in maybe a couple of thousand people, similarly Whitby is probably around the same number.
Thats quite a long way off the 10,000+ they will be hoping to get for this festival.
Even big name acts such as NIN or the Cure would probably only attract around 5,000.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

its a great idea but i worry for the same reasons DrDoom has said.

i'd love to be proved wrong, but i don't see how they will get 10,000+ alt ppl to a festival.

using DrDoom's examples:

nin might be able to sell out a 5000 capacity venue

and the cure might be able to sell out a 5000 capacity venue

but i'd suggest at least 3000 of those would be the same people at both gigs, meaning at best you're looking at 8000 actual, individual, real, paying people.

it's like the whole cult/mish/kj debacle last year - you cant just lump together a stack of similar bands and then add all their fans together - it's the same fans.

the thing that might work in this one's favour is that its a festival, and thus might be more appealing to the european gig goers more accustomed and more ready to travel to festivals.

on the flip side, you might also loose a lot of the older crowd who would go to an indoors gig but can't be arsed camping etc - this is especially an issue in the uk where a lot of goths are older, and not as used to festivals as the european goff crowd.

another thing that might also work for it is that it's not strictly goth - as far as i understand it, there's industrial, idm/emb and even some metal bands on there too. that might spread the net wide enough to catch a decent number of potential punters :)

i'd love it to work, but i worry... :?

and as for headliners, who's left that would even think twice about a goff/industrial/alt metal festival?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

I can only imagine NiN going for this.

& I do think both NiN & The Cure could sell out a venue bigger than a 5000 capacity.
The Cure open in Rio tonight & an 18000 capacity arena & have sold out bigger venues.

I wish the project all the best & really hope to be there too :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DrDoom
Road Kill

South America is a odd case for bands, so not sure its a valid comparison to what they could draw in the UK. The Sisters played in South America there a few years back and they were playing gigs to something silly like 10 or 20,000 people.

As a regular at Infest and Resistanz you see a lot of the people attending who are as much into the fashion as much as the music. As such, they tend to want the comfort of a hotel room to get clean dressed up and could be put off by the thought of camping, particuarly with the UK weather.

I've also been to a number of European festivals over the years and these great because there usually situated near towns where there are hotels and good public transport links.

I want to be proved wrong here and I have put money into the kickstarter thing to try and make it happen.
Even if their grand plans don't happen, with the line up they have on board already this could be a great festival for 2-3000 people. Preferably somewhere inside and near a decent sized town.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Pista wrote:The Cure open in Rio tonight & an 18000 capacity arena & have sold out bigger venues.
but that's in a country with a rabid fan base - they don't play venues that size in the uk anymore...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nin & depeche mode for headline? :lol:
DrDoom
Road Kill

and as for headliners, who's left that would even think twice about a goff/industrial/alt metal festival?
Looking at the industrial/EBM acts already announced the only ones I can think of to headline would be NIN, maybe Kraftwork, or stretching it to someone like the Prodigy.

Goth stage; apparently Bauhaus have been rulled out, the Cure, Sisters (who would probably want to headline the Rock stage anyway), or maybe the Cult.
If FoTN are not headliners then can't see New Model Army, Killing Joke or the m*****n getting anywhere near the headline slot.
DrDoom
Road Kill

Yeah, Depeche Mode would work, forgot all about them....
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote:
Pista wrote:The Cure open in Rio tonight & an 18000 capacity arena & have sold out bigger venues.
but that's in a country with a rabid fan base - they don't play venues that size in the uk anymore...
The last 2 UK The Cure shows (not counting the festivals last year) were at Wembley Arena (12500 capacity) & the O2 arena (20000 capacity)
& if they'd done more nights at RAH for the Reflections shows, I think they would have sold out there too.
;D

But anyway...
Quiff Boy wrote:nin & depeche mode for headline?
That would be interesting to say the least. :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DrDoom
Road Kill

Sisters of Mercy - 2 sets, full Wake set with original line up - even down to the doctor making it out of retirement one last time. Then a 2nd set, with the current line up, previewing the forthcoming album in its entirity. :lol:
Silver_Owl
The Don

DrDoom wrote:Sisters of Mercy - 2 sets, full Wake set with original line up - even down to the doctor making it out of retirement one last time. Then a 2nd set, with the current line up, previewing the forthcoming album in its entirity. :lol:
Count me in. :lol:

...and thread moved due to it not being 2012 anymore.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Pista
Cureboi

DrDoom wrote:Sisters of Mercy - 2 sets, full Wake set with original line up - even down to the doctor making it out of retirement one last time. Then a 2nd set, with the current line up, previewing the forthcoming album in its entirity. :lol:
With a debut performance of Far Parade
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
With a debut performance of Far Parade
Wouldn't pull 10000 people though.
The problem I have with this sort of idea is that if you want to make it an ongoing event,how many headliners can you find over say the next three years?
Would Ramnstein do it? They could pull the crowd,can think of many more though tbh.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
iesus
Overbomber

The truth is that according to the current situation it will be only a full length album with at least 9-10 brand new songs that could attract crowds.
Far Parade is simply not enough on its own :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote:
Pista wrote:
DrDoom wrote: :
The problem I have with this sort of idea is that if you want to make it an ongoing event,how many headliners can you find over say the next three years?
Yea, that's the problem in the long run with alternative festivals. As much as many of us love the genre, it's pretty much an 80s genre, as most of the potential headline bands mentioned in the thread so far prove & Depeche Mode are probably the only one mentioned that could realistically pull a 10000 festival crowd.

without DM & The Cure, you'd probably need all the old faces (Sisters/Mish/NMA/FOTN etc) to have a chance of getting the festival off the ground & then the question is would 10000 punters generate enough £ for all those bands, plus supports, plus staging costs? Sadly can't see it TBH.
Give me one good reason
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:
Pista wrote:
Yea, that's the problem in the long run with alternative festivals. As much as many of us love the genre, it's pretty much an 80s genre, as most of the potential headline bands mentioned in the thread so far prove & Depeche Mode are probably the only one mentioned that could realistically pull a 10000 festival crowd.

without DM & The Cure, you'd probably need all the old faces (Sisters/Mish/NMA/FOTN etc) to have a chance of getting the festival off the ground & then the question is would 10000 punters generate enough £ for all those bands, plus supports, plus staging costs? Sadly can't see it TBH.
Altough, I'd like to turn things out a different way, I'd have to agree to this :?

Without DM (or maybe The Cure, but I think DM is more attractive) a new large alternative festival will hardly get enough attraction to make it worth for the people arranging the festival in the UK. I also think, the situation in Germany is different / easier, as around here the goff / alternative seem to get better attention / reception nowadays :wink:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I see there is a "Circus Acts on Alt-Fest" section as well, maybe The Sisters might get a spot on the festival after all ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Pista
Cureboi

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I see there is a "Circus Acts on Alt-Fest" section as well, maybe The Sisters might get a spot on the festival after all ;D

IZ.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity