Matt Smith will no longer be The Doctor

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/ar ... Doctor-Who

Not sure if you guys like Matt Smith, but IMHO he was a weak Doctor, actually, my last favorite doctor of the 'new series', so, i'm a somehow happy for this, and also concerned about the next Doctor.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Rumours abound about there being a black Doctor or a female Doctor next.

Nah. No way would they do something that interesting.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I'd settle for someone with the actual maturity and gravity required of the role.

I saw one description for Smith's Doctor as "a teenage BFF on too much pro-plus"
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:Rumours abound about there being a black Doctor or a female Doctor next.

Nah. No way would they do something that interesting.
i'd like to think that the colour of the doctor's skin would be taken for granted as not being an issue these days, and of no consequence either way with regard to the character (race being irrelevant anyway as he's a different speciess). a female doctor would create all sorts of interesting story possibilities to explore; his marriage to River Song not being the least of them.

time-travelling lesbians anyone? :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Jenny and Madame Vastra certainly have that box ticked - so to speak :wink:

No, race shouldn't matter - but as a traditional British institution the Doctor has traditionally been a white male from the Thames estuary area. Notable exceptions, Sylvester McCoy and Chris Eccleston. We're not just tackling 'equality', we're tackling cultural inertia.

In canon it sort of makes sense - the Time Lords always struck me as a pretty transparent rip-off of the British Empire.

8)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:We're not just tackling 'equality', we're tackling cultural inertia.
Indeed. :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Husek

And that's why i like to discuss Doctor Who here.
It's the only place where i found this delightful opinions.

(also Doctor Who isn't so popular around here, so, basically HL it's the only place, for me, where i can found British people)
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

timsinister wrote:I'd settle for someone with the actual maturity and gravity required of the role.

I saw one description for Smith's Doctor as "a teenage BFF on too much pro-plus"
I'm a big fan of Matt Smith,but I think he has been badly let down by the quality of the writing. Some of the most recent series was very poor. And perhaps Moffat is discovering that tossing out a classic episode once a series was never going to be as easy as being showruner. I haven't been to Galifrey One (or whatever it's called) for a long time,but I imagine the vilification that was once heaped upon RTD is now being laid at Moffat's door.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

I liked him too.
I was fully expecting to find him cr@p from the start, but really enjoyed his Doctor.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

ribbons69 wrote:...and perhaps Moffat is discovering that tossing out a classic episode once a series was never going to be as easy as being showruner.
That's a regular complaint I've lodged - that Moffat is a fine writer, and a dreadful script-editor/producer/grand high magistrate of Who. His series read like bad fan-fic accounts.
I haven't been to Galifrey One (or whatever it's called) for a long time,but I imagine the vilification that was once heaped upon RTD is now being laid at Moffat's door.
I've never been able to make sense out of Gallifrey Base. They're way beyond the pale. I do like their trading sections though, so I tend to hang out there. Not too dissimilar to Heartland, maybe? :wink:
Husek wrote:And that's why i like to discuss Doctor Who here.
It's the only place where i found this delightful opinions.
Flattery gets you everywhere :kiss:
LyanvisAberrant

I've always thought that Bowie NEEDS to play the next doctor or I'll cry. :(
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Debaser
Overbomber

It needs an 'action transvestite'

Go Eddie Izzard!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Received wisdom seems to be that Matt Smith's Doctor has suffered the same problem as Sylvester McCoy's: great actor, cráp scripts.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Wow - don't normally see people come out swinging for the Seventh Doctor! :notworthy:

He was my Doctor, in that I remember him first. Still adore the way he plays something of a clown, but more as a disguise for a really powerful Doctor.

The scripts were actually improving as the end approached; the Cartmel Masterplan appeared to be a much more subtle attempt to reintroduce some mystery into the character, than parachuting John Hurt into a crazy mishmash.

Crucially, the BBC was overt about its dislike of the show by the late-Eighties and so the show staggered to a halt. Now the opposite is the case, and the show has a ridiculous budget and skyrocketing fan-love.

Except for those of us who prefer the extra lengths scriptwriters went to eke out the lack of special effects.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

pleasetakemoffattwithyoupleasetakemoffattwithyoupleasetakemoffattwithyou
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Hear Hear! :lol:

Starting to realise that RTD, for all he was not great, was infinitely preferable.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

timsinister wrote:
I've never been able to make sense out of Gallifrey Base. They're way beyond the pale. I do like their trading sections though, so I tend to hang out there. Not too dissimilar to Heartland, maybe? :wink:
Against my better judgement I logged on last night,for the first time since June 2012 the site informed me,to find myself faced with page upon page about "The Hurt Doctor " and "Doctor 8.5" I battled through it for awhile,then made my excuses and left. It's still full of the same nutjobs that make the likes of us in here seem perfectly sane.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ribbons69 wrote:nutjobs that make the likes of us in here seem perfectly sane.
Wow.

:lol:

:notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Scary but true :lol:

Mind you, I wonder if we'd be that frothing if, you know, we had something contemporary to talk about.

:wink:
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I really enjoyed Matt Smith. Thought Tennant would be a hard act to follow but different times, different doctor. He seemed quite lightweight - not an insult - but was more than capable of summoning the gravitas & power when required, which to me anyway, made him far more of a threat. You dismiss him at your peril! My kids as well, really liked him & hey, isn't that what it's all about? Okay, not my kids specifically but y'know children? They don't give a f**k about plots or insane story arcs - they just want to be entertained & terrified in equal measure & I thought the current incarnation delivered that.

But for the next doctor...
LyanvisAberrant wrote:I've always thought that Bowie NEEDS to play the next doctor or I'll cry. :(
That. Would. Be. Too. Amazing. For. Words!

:notworthy:
mh
Above the Chemist

For one scary moment I read that as "Doktor"... :urff:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

Just read that Rory Kinnear has been offered the role

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... r-Who.html

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Christ, I misread that as Roy Kinnear! :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:Christ, I misread that as Roy Kinnear! :lol:
Well, that's the kiss of death :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity