R.E.M.?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Anyone else also like R.E.M.? I know that Eldritch has been very complimentary to them in the past, praising Michael Stipe's lyrics and indeed wishing that The Sisters were considered as a kind of darker version of R.E.M. rather than being marketed with an Ozzy Osbourne alignment in mind. Whether or not Eldritch, on shaving his head, and adopting a certain similarly-eclectic dress sense, tried to push this point home further is, I think, an interesting possibility worth discussing.

XidiouX
Last edited by XidiouX on 09 Oct 2013, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Some of their earlier stuff (up until Green) was great.
I particularly like their cover of Strange by Wire. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
XidiouX

Thanks Hom and glad you like them. That said, although I agree that a lot of their earlier work was wonderful, I often feel that I'm flying a solitary flag for, in my opinion, their much more interesting and sophisticated later work. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dzh3MDhR0I

'Gonzoid' is good, but I don't want to always have to do 'gonzoid' to make a point. ;-)

I like all of their albums, and each one better than its predecessor, until the very last one, and that's possibly because I haven't yet 'discovered' it.

And for those unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjvzZoH-mE

Sunshine. Cowboy hat. Aviators. Bald head. Great lyrics. Great dancing. Great, scowling singing. Great skinny singer. Great cheekbones. Great clothes. Great guitars. What else do you want? Dry ice?

XidiouX
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I guess Doc. is that one point that is missing.
not to mention that they knew when to gave up.
but i'm agree, good band, good music and lyrics.
James Blast
Banned

REM made one album, and then just kept making it

FILE UNDER: Slacker Rock
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that reminds me about few other bands that were/are doing quite the same.
James Blast
Banned

C'mon Bartleby, even TSOM didn't cover their tracks.
Still a bunch of jism these days but...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Jameski, I'm not defending their music and sayin' that the had top of the top tunes, I'm just getting counterargument here. :wink:
Silver_Owl
The Don

XidiouX wrote: What else do you want? Dry ice?
Quite frankly - yes. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

XidiouX wrote:Anyone else also like R.E.M.? I know that Eldritch has been very complimentary to them in the past, praising Michael Stipe's lyrics
Why should Eldo's view of a band have any bearing on whether or not someone likes a band? I used to get the feeling years ago when I bothered to read the Dominion mailing list,that folks on there liked a band,say for example Massive Attack,just because Von did.
As to your question,I didn't mind some of there early stuff,but I haven't listened to them for quite some time.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Silver_Owl
The Don

I guess as this is a Sisters forum it has some bearing.
:P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Yeah, also if people make music you like, it's not unusual that they like things you might like as well, which does of course not necessarily extend to say, beetroot ...

As to R.E.M. and/or Massive Attack ... their first output was quite interesting and maybe also some later tracks, but none of them really made it to me ...
Still, I like them way better than ... well, no need to mention that issue again ...
Silver_Owl
The Don

Being645 wrote:... which does of course not necessarily extend to say, beetroot ...
I love beetroot :!: ...and if :von: likes it I love it even more. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Being645 wrote:... which does of course not necessarily extend to say, beetroot ...
I love beetroot :!: ...and if :von: likes it I love it even more. ;D
... :lol: ... me too ... ;D ... Not so :von: ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

regardless of who else likes it, "losing my religion" is one of my favourite songs ever.
i wouldn't say i was a big fan of theirs -apart from the afore mentioned single i own no product- but they've had their moments: "it's the end of the world as we know it", "the one i love" and "shiny happy people" (not just because kate pierson of b52's is on it) are all ok IMHO.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

documents and green are great albums
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

XidiouX wrote:Anyone else also like R.E.M.? I know that Eldritch has been very complimentary to them in the past, praising Michael Stipe's lyrics and indeed wishing that The Sisters were considered as a kind of darker version of R.E.M. rather than being marketed with an Ozzy Osbourne alignment in mind. Whether or not Eldritch, on shaving his head, and adopting a certain similarly-eclectic dress sense, tried to push this point home further is, I think, an interesting possibility worth discussing.

XidiouX
I think your analysis is spot on, XidiouX. REM were very much contemporaries of TSOM and the local Leeds fanzines of the time (eg W&A) were infatuated with them. I can imagine that :von: and Stipe had similar record collections and approached song writing in a similar way. Their paths diverged because of the TSOM split whereas the original REM line-up managed to stay together until recently, ensuring evolution and taking your fan base with you rather than the kind of volte-face :von: attempted (with some success) circa Floodland. DM, U2 and The Cure tend to fit the REM model. Echo and the Bunnymen, Simple Minds and The Cult would be more like TSOM.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Sorry to be contrary but I have to say I can't see any similarities in the 2 bands. At all.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

James Blast wrote:REM made one album, and then just kept making it
That. Exactly that. I f'cking despise REM.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bearskin

I'm a reasonable fan of REM. Liked their early work, tho it was a bit one-trick-pony-ish. Thought they found a new gear around Document/Green and then did some interesting, more grown up Dad rock type gubbins later on. I'd put them in with Weller who I think has followed a similar path (apart from the very throwaway SC stuff).

Absolutely heart Massive Attack tho. Just splendid.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

REM were the band that all the oh-so-serious pseuds (who took the p!ss out of me for listening to The Sisters) listened to back in the late 80s. I don't even believe that any of them genuinely liked REM, they just listened to it because that was what they were supposed to like. Pretentiousness at its very worse.

I know that I'm judging the band by the people that listened to them, and I suppose that's not exactly fair of me, but hey.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
GC
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:regardless of who else likes it, "losing my religion" is one of my favourite songs ever.
i wouldn't say i was a big fan of theirs -apart from the afore mentioned single i own no product- but they've had their moments: "it's the end of the world as we know it", "the one i love" and "shiny happy people" (not just because kate pierson of b52's is on it) are all ok IMHO.
Yup, losing my religion can still reduce me to tears...(but don't tell anyone :) )
And i own their greatest hits (the last one when they broke up)....thats about as far as it goes.
GC
Slight Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote:
XidiouX wrote:Anyone else also like R.E.M.? I know that Eldritch has been very complimentary to them in the past, praising Michael Stipe's lyrics
Why should Eldo's view of a band have any bearing on whether or not someone likes a band? I used to get the feeling years ago when I bothered to read the Dominion mailing list,that folks on there liked a band,say for example Massive Attack,just because Von did.
As to your question,I didn't mind some of there early stuff,but I haven't listened to them for quite some time.
Anything by David Bowie, Motorhead and the Ramones are considered holy by some people round here.......i often wonder why....
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Gollum's Cock wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:
Anything by David Bowie, Motorhead and the Ramones are considered holy by some people round here.......i often wonder why....
It could be because Massive Attack, Bowie, Motörhead and The Ramones are all classic groups, regardless of whether Von likes them. And they have some common sensibility with the Sisters, so you'd rather expect to encounter fans here.
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

XidiouX wrote:Anyone else also like R.E.M.? I know that Eldritch has been very complimentary to them in the past, praising Michael Stipe's lyrics and indeed wishing that The Sisters were considered as a kind of darker version of R.E.M. rather than being marketed with an Ozzy Osbourne alignment in mind. Whether or not Eldritch, on shaving his head, and adopting a certain similarly-eclectic dress sense, tried to push this point home further is, I think, an interesting possibility worth discussing.

XidiouX
Eldritch started to loose his hair some time ago , I read that in an interview in the Metro paper, so he said that he just shaved it off . Nothing to do with him trying to be like Stripe.

As for R.E.M. there earlier stuff was ok, but not good as a live band , as it was one of the worst gigs I have seen , which was them playing the Huddersfield Giants Mcalpine stadium. a few years ago.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat