Lostprophets

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Should hmv stop selling their records. .which they have....and keep selling Gary Glitter stuff?
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Surely a commercial decision as much as a moral one. Can't imagine anyone going in to try to buy their stuff in the near future.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

in short: no.
as much as i was very disturbed to read that, i don't think that this could be good idea. of course, this could be some kind of punishment if, and only if, he wrote both music and lyrics.
but on the other hand, it's hard for me to believe that after that their albums could selling good. and lets not forget that rest of the band mambers will suffer, both economically and psycho. for quite a few weeks. reforming, obviously re-branding, this will not help them to regain piece of 'market' and audience they have/had; questions will back and hit them time and time again.
such crime that (t)W@tkins did cannot be forgive and forgot, but i'm always worrying where line, border could be drawn, what's next; what crime?
i have no clue about music of that band nor lyrics, but i don't think that there was some kind of promoting pedophile.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

...and DVDs of Roman Polanski films, CDs of Jerry Lee Lewis...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

R Kelly
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

That dude who wore a white glove.
Four strings good, six strings bad
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Norman Hunter wrote:That dude who wore a white glove.
:notworthy:
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

35 years off the stage. enough, i think, i hope.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Yeah, and by now the door has closed behind that guy ...
I find it difficult to imagine what drives people like him to have their affection turn into mere power abuse ... and fully forget about themselves ...

On the other hand, there is a word that the love we have towards others isn't but the bad love we have towards ourselves ...
which makes things slightly more understandable to me. And it makes me sad.

No longer selling the records of that band is entirely hypocritical, IMHO.
sandy666
Road Kill

Who cares what HMV does? It's not like they were going to sell many (overpriced) copies of Lost Prophets stuff anyway. Principles are easy when you can afford them.
Silver_Owl
The Don

ribbons69 wrote:
Alvin Stardust?! :eek:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Hom_Corleone wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:
Alvin Stardust?! :eek:
:lol: No no no no no Alvin Stardust wore a black glove :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Len Ganley?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

oh, please stop that Thriller, just tell us.
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I don't see any problem with music stores continuing to sell their records provided that their songs only make references to the (attempted) raping of babies in an oblique, intelligent and literate way. :evil: :evil: :evil:

XidiouX
Francis
Overbomber

And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Dan
Overbomber

If you started banning peoples artistic works* where do you draw the line? Would you ban the music if the person committed other crimes? Should CD's have warning stickers on them. "Warning: This person smokes crack". "Warning: The keyboard player who's not a member of the band any more but he wrote some of the songs nicked a few telly's when he was a teenager." Where would you stop? Surely it's better to let the buyer decide.

*And I use the phrase very loosely. I've never knowingly heard any Lost Prophets songs, they could be utter crud for all I know.

Perhaps it'd have been better if HMV had said that they withdrew the CD's because people kept vandalising them (which probably has happened in a few cases anyway).

I wonder what the other band members will do? They'll either have to start again with a new name, a new singer and new songs, or maybe easier for them to go their separate ways and join other bands. I suppose that'll depend on whether the main songwriter is the guy who's locked up or one of the others.

A few years ago someone was seeding a Gary Glitter torrent on a popular live music torrent site and it provoked many pages of discussion, with some people calling for the seeder to be banned for posting such "sick filth" as well as some more rational discussion.

And just last week I heard a Gary Glitter song playing loudly in a shop in Leeds City centre!
million voices
Slight Overbomber

My fourpence worth :-

In theory one should make the distinction between the artist and the art.
The sick little s**t from the Lostprophets should have his gonads chopped off but that shouldn't stop people "appreciating" the music.
I haven't heard them so I don't know if what I am defending is "art" but the theory in theory still stands

One can listen to Wagner without having to want to invade Poland.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

When i'm listening Wagner i want to nuke Poland, not just invade.
comment:1) I know where your quote is coming from; 2) i live in North PoLe
GC
Slight Overbomber

On a different note.....i'd read on a few other sites that some fans of the lostprophets were heartbroken because they could n't bear to listen to the 'anthems' any more that they'd grown up with.

Having grown up with the Sisters....i keep wondering how i would feel if the same thing had happened closer to home ie AE did something dreadful (and Im not talking about SSV before some smartarse says it). Could I still listen to them? Is it still morally right to listen to them? etc
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

what morality have to listening music? if anything else it's a mater of ethic, but even this is irrelevant to enjoy fruit of sick mind when it comes to art- if it's good, if you like you can listen. some enjoy listening Boyd Rice, other may enjoy Charles Manson's albums or Garry Glitter, in short it's still a matter of art- divide that and judge art. if someone bought albums already he/she not obliged by any moral law to destroy it. and it's not like with Bayer, Krupps, Opel, Hugo Boss (to name very few from past).
RibbonGirl
Road Kill

Gollum's Cock wrote:On a different note.....i'd read on a few other sites that some fans of the lostprophets were heartbroken because they could n't bear to listen to the 'anthems' any more that they'd grown up with.

Having grown up with the Sisters....i keep wondering how i would feel if the same thing had happened closer to home ie AE did something dreadful (and Im not talking about SSV before some smartarse says it). Could I still listen to them? Is it still morally right to listen to them? etc
Agreed. Although, in fact it's not a matter of morality (or not just), but of unavoidable connotation. Ignorance is bliss. Once you know, it changes all, perception, self reflections with the music, connections you make.. and above all, the amount of "trust" or emotional load you put on the listening to music. Is it not how it works? The feedback in the proccess can not still stand for me.
Psychologic, but not less true.
Talk to them, talk to someone,
Talk to me, or
Paint it on a wall,
But never stay in silence,
As silence kills.
RibbonGirl
Road Kill

Though.. following that trade policy adopted (punishing not only the guilty but also his companions), should not all the crucifixes be removed and churches closed? What changes? (don't mean to offend anyone).
Talk to them, talk to someone,
Talk to me, or
Paint it on a wall,
But never stay in silence,
As silence kills.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Apparently 'H' from Steps has received some hate-mail over the Lost Prophets scandal; his real name is also Ian Watkins.

And that's a problem with this sort of moral panic; there's always likely to be collateral damage. For example, who can forget the paediatrician who had the word 'PAEDO' painted on her home at the height of the paedophile panic.

Last time I looked, Michael Jackson albums were still on sale. You can still buy the Naked Gun movies (starring OJ Simpson) on DVD. Not to mention work by all the other shady characters mentioned in this thread (apart from Gary Glitter, who seems to have been made an unperson).
—Bertrand Russell