"Floodland better than FALAA" - official

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Well, according to those who voted on the Slicing Up Eyeballs Best of the 1980s poll.
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2014/0 ... f-the-80s/

Floodland 52nd, FALAA only 69th. No sign of The m*****n ...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

... and The Cure are clearly overrated ... :wink: ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote:... and The Cure are clearly overrated ... :wink: ...
Maybe if The Sisters had released 7 (seven) albums in the same period they would have had a heavier chart presence too.
:innocent:

oh. i didn't count Japanese Whispers & Concert to make 9

;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Pista wrote:
Maybe if The Sisters had released 7 (seven) albums in the same period they would have had a heavier chart presence too.

;D
Yes, yes, yes ... especially as it's all about chart presence ... Anyway, I don't think chart presence is all that important in real life ... :P :lol: :wink: ...

To me, The Cure are at one level with say Boy George, which is not a bad or unimportant thing, but hell ... The Sisters of Mercy ... ;D ;D ;D ...
James Blast
Banned

taste is a very personal thing, let's try comedians - those that make us laugh and those as don't

Jeremy Carr - creepy
Lee Mack - hilarious
F. Boyle - obnoxious
Kevin Bridges - quite funny
Billy Connelly - once the funniest man on the planet, now a dick that spends more time laffing at his own jokes than his audience do. Cock.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Pista
Cureboi

James Blast wrote:taste is a very personal thing, let's try comedians - those that make us laugh and those as don't

Jeremy Carr - creepy
Lee Mack - hilarious
F. Boyle - obnoxious
Billy Connelly - once the funniest man on the planet, now a dick that spends more time laffing at his own jokes than his audience do. Cock.
:notworthy:

& Stewart Lee - on the money funny

;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

Pista wrote:
James Blast wrote:taste is a very personal thing, let's try comedians - those that make us laugh and those as don't

Jeremy Carr - creepy
Lee Mack - hilarious
F. Boyle - obnoxious
:notworthy:

& Stewart Lee - on the money funny

;D
The only one of the above who is funny IMO. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Did you mean Jimmy Clarkson?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Silver_Owl
The Don

million voices wrote:Did you mean Jimmy Clarkson?
No - he meant Jerry Clinton. :P
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

not that's a secret- Floodland IS better than FaLaA, imo, of course.
psichonaut
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:not that's a secret- Floodland IS better than FaLaA, imo, of course.
i agree with you
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
psichonaut
Overbomber

Pista wrote:

;D
the number of album doesn't count when half of them are s**t... The Cure could have spare of at least 2 1/2(the top, half KMKMKM and Disintegration) over the one you mentioned, in the 80's amd a lot more between 1990 and 2008 ;D
iesus
Overbomber

psichonaut wrote:
Bartek wrote:not that's a secret- Floodland IS better than FaLaA, imo, of course.
i agree with you
agree with both of you ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't. :D

Floodland is great for sure, and is probably a stronger overall package, but as an enjoyable listening experience FALAA edges it for me, despite some slightly ropey tunes in places. It's all about side 2. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
psichonaut
Overbomber

Talking about atmosphere i prefere FALAA, but Floodland is complete under every point of view
Back in time
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:I don't. :D

Floodland is great for sure, and is probably a stronger overall package, but as an enjoyable listening experience FALAA edges it for me, despite some slightly ropey tunes in places. It's all about side 2. :notworthy:
I agree. Especially regarding the side 2, although I am a No time to cry fan.
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Floodland is better as a whole, though I don't know if any individual songs are equal to any of the songs on FALAA (Driven Like The Snow is brilliant, though, and stands head-and-shoulders above anything on either record).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

agree, it's all about side two. and almost only about side two. [Captain_Obvious_strikes_back_mode] but it's about personal taste, so everyone can have their own opinion. :wink [/Captain_Obvious_strikes_back_mode]
James Blast
Banned

Stewart Lee's a khunt!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

He's the second funniest comedian I've seen live.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote:

agree, it's all about side two. and almost only about side two. [Captain_Obvious_strikes_back_mode] but it's about personal taste, so everyone can have their own opinion. :wink [/Captain_Obvious_strikes_back_mode]
A reasonable attitude on the internet? Gettouttahere! :lol: :notworthy:

...some of side 1 is actually quite good too...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nork1
Road Kill

"Floodland better than FALAA"... apart from the fact it bloody isn't!!! Geeeetars over girly choirs and synthesisers any day of the week.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Nork1 wrote:"Floodland better than FALAA"... apart from the fact it bloody isn't!!! Geeeetars over girly choirs and synthesisers any day of the week.
:notworthy: :notworthy: I think we can safely close nominations for HL post of the year for 2014 already !
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

FALAA was produced for a fiver and a portion of chips. Floodland was produced on a proper record company budget.

If FALAA had received the same production attention that Floodland had then it would be a different matter (especially when it comes to side 2), but as it is Floodland wins.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Floodland for me. Yes, side 2 of FALAA has 4 of the greatest Sisters tunes but as a thematic whole, as a concept, Flood is stronger. It even extends to the way the songs bleed, indeed flow, into each other, illustrating the continuing journey - with the exception of 1959 which, in every respect, stands alone in the Sisters cannon. That might be why the label were so willing to chuck cash at it. Perhaps they bought into the vision that Eldritch was selling: only 8 tracks, epic sweeping production, kitchen sink welding comeback single, high concept video's, commerical singles, no tour(!), terrible cover(!) Alternatively, it could have been a side effect of the cocaine - the 80's was apparently a snowstorm in most executives offices...
Musically and lyrically, like the much lauded Reptile House, Flood was a driven Eldritch, in control without compromise, and a handfull of fantastic songs. A jaundiced observor, a wounded lover, a defiant victor, a black (and white!) clad disco dancer under mirrored balled mushroom clouds! Yes, it's Floodland for me...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie