wierd emails

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Panther

The other day I received an email which I deleted without opening - the subject line was a phone number. The next day received 2 emails, one entitled 'thank you' and one 'my details'. Since then I have had loads of emails from assorted unknown people with the same subject lines - even more strange I had a failed sent mail message which said that the mail that I sent to some unknown guy with these subject lines had been blocked - but I didn't send a mail!! Anyone any ideas on how I can stop it???? :(
Jim
Slight Overbomber

This would be the SoBig II virus. It's a lot of fun.

What has happened is that someone you know HAS the virus (by running one of the .pif attachements - you might not want to do that). The virus then takes the first half of every email address in his/her inbox, teams it with every second half of all the email addresses, and then send the virus on to ALL these combinations.

Of course when it send them, instead of sending them from the person (with the virus) account, it fakes a signature that claims it was sent from another random email address from the inbox.

Hence, not only are you getting the virus sent to you, but you also get returned mail from non-existent addresses that believe YOUR account sent them mail.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Jim on 21 Aug 2003, 11:19, edited 2 times in total.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Oh, and of course the only solution is to track down which of your friends is stupid enough to run an unsolicited executable file sent to them as an attachment from someone they don't know.

I was really proud that I had intelligent friends until this morning when three of the fukking things were sat in my inbox. Cest la vie. Probably an ebay contact...
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yup, exactly the same thing happned to me this morning too... except mine came "from" my work email address which i've never used for ebay or owt like that.

so one of my mates really is that stupid... ;) :urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Panther

Cheers for that Jim. I didn't realise that there was anyone left who was stupid enough to open files sent to them when they didn't know who they were from!!!! Although, having said that....

Anyway, is this virus actually going to affect my pc in any way or is it just going fill up my inbox with crap?
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Nope - you're fine. Just gotta wait for your "friend" to catch on and sort his own system out. The irony being that he's not getting any symptoms at all from the virus....

More info: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... .f@mm.html
Debaser
Overbomber

And here's thinking it was just me....daft blonde question coming up....if I just delete them without opening them...I'll be ok WON'T I?
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
hallucienate
Overbomber

yup, I had an inbox full of those bastards yesterday morning, which is a bit of a bugger when you receive mailer-daemon mail for a few hundred domains :(

Don't run the executable and make sure you have your Outlook patched with all the updates. I can't believe they released a mail client that runs executable attachments on receipt :urff:
Debaser
Overbomber

ooops no need to blame my 'blondeness' at all..Panther saud the exact same fings..
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Jim
Slight Overbomber

hallucienate wrote:yup, I had an inbox full of those bastards yesterday morning, which is a bit of a bugger when you receive mailer-daemon mail for a few hundred domains :(

Don't run the executable and make sure you have your Outlook patched with all the updates. I can't believe they released a mail client that runs executable attachments on receipt :urff:
*cough*g....oh, never mind.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Jim wrote:*cough*g....oh, never mind.
You really should do something about that cough, you've had it for weeks :urff:

Allergic to somthing :?: :innocent:
Big Si
School Bully

hallucienate wrote:

Maybe he's caught a chill from wearing no pants! :eek:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big Si wrote:
hallucienate wrote:

Maybe he's caught a chill from wearing no pants! :eek:
he's got what they call in the trade as a "commando cough" :D :D :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Woh woh woh!!!

Yesterday he had pants and now he's pantless??! :eek:

*B.D has to go for quick lie down*
Hell is other people
hallucienate
Overbomber

Black Dahlia wrote:*B.D has to go for quick lie down*
Don't worry too much about this Jim, she also paid me a compliment :innocent: :innocent:
Jim
Slight Overbomber

You go for lunch, and a whole conversation happens about your nether regions in your absence.

Anyone got the address for the m****** message board? ;-)
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Pantless bass player....

Nice one Jim! Very nice.
:)
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

hallucienate wrote:
Don't worry too much about this Jim, she also paid me a compliment :innocent: :innocent:

Ah yes , but you appeared to be wearing pants in your picture , so Jim has "streaked" into the lead .................... :wink: :lol:
Hell is other people
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Black Dahlia wrote:
hallucienate wrote:

Ah yes , but you appeared to be wearing pants in your picture , so Jim has "streaked" into the lead .................... :wink: :lol:
*Boom Boom* How we all laughed :roll:
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

Jim wrote:
Black Dahlia wrote:
hallucienate wrote: Don't worry too much about this Jim, she also paid me a compliment :innocent: :innocent:

*Boom Boom* How we all laughed :roll:
Not as much as we will if your trousers fall down ...........
Hell is other people
hallucienate
Overbomber

ah hah! but I wasn't wearing a top!
Black Dahlia
Elegantly Wasted

hallucienate wrote:ah hah! but I wasn't wearing a top!
Thanks for reminding me .............

*B.D has to have another lie down*
Hell is other people
hallucienate
Overbomber

that's better!

Oh...this is what happens when I get into work late. I miss the second, no, third conversation about Jim's pants. Well, maybe next time. :wink: :kiss:
pikkrong
Overbomber

i have received such a crap (both my hotmail address and my work's one) until tuesday. also those ones that looked like returned mails to me from persons i have never knew :twisted:
meanwhile my hotmail account was 100 % overloaded :evil: hope, i didn't miss any important message.
of course, didn't opened any attacment.
anyway, to be 100 % sure about your pc's health (maybe your children have opened any nasty attachments in your outlook) you could download a program searching this virus:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sobig_f.shtml

and read carefully the instructions - everything goes very easy and fast but you have:
1) download
2) unzip
3) switch internet connection off before starting the program