A cheeky request

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I'm currently using the default forum skin, which is fine on my desktops, but makes reading tricky on my mobile.

Would it be possible to tweak the default theme to add some CSS media queries that would make it display better on smaller screens?

Off the top of my head, we could get rid of avatars, increase text size, and remove any fixed width tables/cells.

Yes, I know you've got plenty of other stuff to do, plus a full time job, and a social life, but...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

That would be a great idea...

You wanna send me the necessary CSS and I'll drop it in? ;D :lol:

Seriously though that does sound like a good idea.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Good luck collapsing all those table elements though :urff:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

If you could set up a sandbox version of MyHL (a copy of the current one hidden behind httpd password protection) and give me admin access to phpBB I might even redevelop the theme in HTML5 with RDFa/Schema.org in addition to rewriting the CSS to responsive design ideals. I've been looking for a new displacement activity to avoid doing all the work I need to do on my site...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:o

leave that with me :notworthy:
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mumblemumblemumble :von: :lol:
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

it might be easier to try to find a pre-existing skin and work from that?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Mark - I'm going to take a look at the theme template files over the weekend on the sandbox QB set up for me.

In theory it shouldn't take too long to modify the existing template which would be ideal as I can more easily keep the visual design close to the original, but, as a wise man once said, “In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.�
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Fairy nuff. :)

BTW:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
I am so stealing that ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

An open question to all who may have an opinion (with QB as final decision maker, of course):

The current red design is very old and was put together when monitors were quite small and people ran in front of new-fangled motor cars with flags to warn off the terrified peasants.

As such, the bit showing the post (this bit) stretches right across the screen. Which was fine when screens were small-ish. Now that we have very wide monitors (as well as very small ones on mobile phones) is there a case for setting a maximum width for the post area to prevent you getting neck ache from reading a single line that stretches for 24 inches across the screen?
Pista
Cureboi

Quite possibly.
& if it would display nice on a smug phone/ mobile device nicely, bonus!
Got a screen cap?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Pista wrote:Quite possibly.
& if it would display nice on a smug phone/ mobile device nicely, bonus!
Got a screen cap?
Wait til after the weekend and I might be able to show something - I haven't started on it yet!

And yes, the main aim is to produce something that will work nicely on smartphones and tablets.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh if you're going down the route of fiddling with the size, how about something that resizes the huge images that folk sometimes post?
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

markfiend wrote:Oh if you're going down the route of fiddling with the size, how about something that resizes the huge images that folk sometimes post?
The best solution to that is a very large stick, preferably with a sharp, pointy, end.

Alternatively, there is an existing phpBB add-on that will optically resize images - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... r/details/ - that takes a less violent approach. No idea if it works with this version of phpBB though.

If the new design work doesn't take too long I could look at testing that on the Sandbox.

Edit: alternatively I could look at overriding the image sizes using CSS - will know more after the weekend.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

happy for you to try any or all of the above ideas - the reading line length is a valid point :)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:Oh if you're going down the route of fiddling with the size, how about something that resizes the huge images that folk sometimes post?
there's a few mods that do this for phpbb2

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3957
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/7842
etc

:)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just out of interest Paul how far did you get with this?
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Not very far at all before a tonne of work (day job work) landed on my desk that took up all my spare time, unfortunately
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Right, because I think I'll have some quiet time coming soon, I might have a look, I didn't want to duplicate efforts.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

go for it - it's been at the back of my mind for a while, but I'm swamped with work (both day-job and art) at least until christmas. I think my preliminary efforts are still on the HL sandbox.