head and star logo - registered?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

seeing posts on FB TSOM group of pictures of pedants, earrings and so with H&S logo, got me thinking that classic head and star logo is/was based on well-known here anatomy book, but adding star, probably made it an work, composition, which leads me question: if there any info about registration of this logo (versions of it, latest one it's more work than previous, classic, imo) in copyright office(s) and trade mark? anyone have that info? or maybe explain me possible differences about that in U.K. copyright act. i know that work such as music, literature don't have to be registered to be protected, but trade mark is a different beast.
ta in advance.
:kiss:
aims
Overbomber

If it is registered, you'll find it here.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/tmtext.htm
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

thanks!

after typing: "the sisters of mercy", "head and star", "reptile house" and "merciful release", with search type: "exact" and "contains words", result was: "No trade marks matching your search criteria were found"

if it's true then it's strange to me.
Bahamas
Road Kill

Von should register otherwise Wayne will and a bitter dispute will occur and no new songs will be made available.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Interesting. I'd be surprised if :von: hadn't registered it.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:Interesting. I'd be surprised if :von: hadn't registered it.
likewise. the whole sisterhood affair came as a result of eldritch having had the sense to copyright/register the name "the sisters of mercy", and "the sisters" to himself ("the sisterhood" having not been registered as it was only a semi-official fan-club name -not that i've ever seen an actual reference to it's use in that capacity other than in the official explanation?).
it would seem obvious therefore that "merciful release" and all associated names/logos would have been officially registered -if not before "the sisterhood" affair then certainly subsequent to.

as for possible copyright issues related to gray's anatomy, the sisters logo is only inspired by it; as i remember the actual diagram is far more detailed. e.g.

though it is much more like the logo as originally used -ie damage done

perhaps this was changed to

so that it was was sufficiently different , not just generally tidier?

as an addendum, Gary Marx's use on "1995 and nowhere" is an amended version, possibly due to copyright restriction?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Gray's Anatomy would be well out of copyright and wouldn't be an issue. However, if Von has trademarked the logo then minor changes wouldn't stop the Marx one being an obvious infringement (unless permission had been obtained).
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

I remember Tim having concerns about The Marching Men's use of the H&S logo in our own, I pointed out that IF any legal action was threatened by Merciful Release, at least it'd make great publicity for us and show they give a f**k.

You can guess the rest.
Four strings good, six strings bad
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

wondering what intentions are (if there any) behind this omission, since we know that he/they chased bootleggers.
mh
Above the Chemist

Norman Hunter wrote:I remember Tim having concerns about The Marching Men's use of the H&S logo in our own, I pointed out that IF any legal action was threatened by Merciful Release, at least it'd make great publicity for us and show they give a f**k.

You can guess the rest.
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Bartek wrote:wondering what intentions are (if there any) behind this omission, since we know that he/they chased bootleggers.
It may not be an omission. Just because no evidence has turned up that it's registered doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

yes, it's true, maybe application was turned down/reject by Copyrights Office, maybe something else happened.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

No, I mean it might be registered and just didn't turn up on your search. Maybe it's not registered under the title we'd expect.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

oh, yes. :oops:
i stressed that option (that my quick research might have not been successful).
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

thinking about this today

because i came across my old leather jacket with it on . as i have told a few people here i worked making these for the Alchemy Carta back in 1991/92. the ones i made were for general retail but an earlier run had been made for selling as concert merchandise. all our "Poker Rox" band merchandise was under-license from and for companies like Brockham who were responsible for most bands merchandise (we had ALL the metallica, iron maiden etc etc contracts for badges/pendants/buckles*). some things (like the sisters stuff ) we were allowed to make and sell as we wanted, after a certain amount of time had elapsed, and pay dues to brockham etc, whereas some we werent allowed to and had to destroy the moulds after the initial contract. we only made official stuff and only on an exclusive license. so it must be copyrighted/protected in some way.

*not the lovely, well-made brass buckles.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: