If you could ask Andrew Eldritch one question...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I'd ask YCBTO-- yes or no.
Thread won. :notworthy:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yup, we can now lock that thread - no one ever will have better question.
Bellatrix
Road Kill

Hi, like your chat, funny!!!!! :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Bellatrix wrote:Hi, like your chat, funny!!!!! :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hi Bellatrix!(Great name!) welcome to Heartland. :von:
Bartek wrote:Yup, we can now lock that thread - no one ever will have better question.
agreed. @EmmaPeelWannaBe: :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Ah shucks :oops:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

ageofmaya wrote:Why TSOM didn't play live for five long years; from 1985 - 1990?

Was it because of the lack of a good guitarist during those years?
Or some another reason?
Short answer: spite. :von: was so tired of people showing up wearing black to see what them play, even though TSoM was not a goth band, that he figured that if they stopped playing live then the black-clad masses would grow up and start wearing brightly-coloured garments so he could look out from the stage and see a sea of yellows and blues. He figured that 5 years was long enough, and took the extra step of touring in the US with someone who was clearly not a goth band, but it turns out that we didn't get the message and showed up wearing black again. He's made it clear in any number of interviews that there won't be a new album until people start showing up to gigs wearing lycra, football shirts, bright pinks and pastels, but it seems that we're incapable of helping ourselves. Le sigh.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

The first time I saw The Sisters I wore a quite dandy Gold and Silver embroidered coat, bright coloured trousers and equally colourful shirt. Also I had peroxide hair, if he wanted bright colours he could have taken me on tour. That was 83/84 so perhaps people should have followed my lead and looked like dandy groovestars and there would have been more shows.
EvilBastard wrote:
ageofmaya wrote:Why TSOM didn't play live for five long years; from 1985 - 1990?

Or some another reason?
Short answer: spite. :von: was so tired of people showing up wearing black to see what them play, even though TSoM was not a goth band, that he figured that if they stopped playing live then the black-clad masses would grow up and start wearing brightly-coloured garments so he could look out from the stage and see a sea of yellows and blues. He figured that 5 years was long enough, and took the extra step of touring in the US with someone who was clearly not a goth band, but it turns out that we didn't get the message and showed up wearing black again. He's made it clear in any number of interviews that there won't be a new album until people start showing up to gigs wearing lycra, football shirts, bright pinks and pastels, but it seems that we're incapable of helping ourselves. Le sigh.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Pista
Cureboi

Or some another reason?
As I understand, :von: didn't really have a "band" he could take on tour until Vision Thing came to being.
It was just him, Patricia (sort of) & the Doktor.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Alex66 wrote:The first time I saw The Sisters I wore a quite dandy Gold and Silver embroidered coat, bright coloured trousers and equally colourful shirt. Also I had peroxide hair, if he wanted bright colours he could have taken me on tour. That was 83/84 so perhaps people should have followed my lead and looked like dandy groovestars and there would have been more shows.

First time I saw them (Philly 97, I think?) I wore light blue jeans, a white Sick Of It All t-shirt, and my hair was at most 1/4 of an inch long (and still naturally red). Probably combat boots or oxblood Doc Martens. Kind of stuck out in that crowd.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

i think i still have my ticket for the cancelled Berkeley and Sacramento shows. But I would definitely have worn lots of black.
EvilBastard wrote:

Or some another reason?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pista wrote:

Or some another reason?
As I understand, :von: didn't really have a "band" he could take on tour until Vision Thing came to being.
It was just him, Patricia (sort of) & the Doktor.
And people might have found out whether Patricia really could play, which would never do.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Microcosmia

I would probably ask him

"Did you and Patricia ever have a squirrel?"

The world needs to know.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Microcosmia wrote:I would probably ask him

"Did you and Patricia ever have a squirrel?"

The world needs to know.

:lol: :notworthy: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

* Since this was written, the Legal Aid system has been tightened up a little. Coincidentally, there has been a dramatic upsurge in claims of date-rape, which is a criminal offence that police are obliged to pursue for at least as long as it takes to sell mud to the same newspapers which decry the spread of Compensation Culture. Ain't life grand?
I'd not spotted that date-rape thing before. Rape victims are just after the publicity? Stay classy Andrew :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Microcosmia

Nor had I markfiend. Now having read that I'd re submit my question to ask what on earth he meant by that and how is such a statement consistent with calling yourself a humanitarian.
Being645
Above the Chemist

ageofmaya wrote:
Microcosmia wrote:Nor had I markfiend. Now having read that I'd re submit my question to ask what on earth he meant by that and how is such a statement consistent with calling yourself a humanitarian.
He wasn't sleeping for too many nights and days, so he didn't know what he's talking about; the reality for him got blurred in those moments?!?
Everybody knows about the difficulties in such cases ... even nowadays the rule "No is No." does not apply in every country and lenghty trials with unsatisfactory results ensue. Insofar, I take this as a comparison not too far fetched.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

@age. It is generally known Eldritch is a bit of a knob. Get over it, else you're going to win a green biro
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

It's well documented that he got the name from the Philip K Dick novel The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:@age. It is generally known Eldritch is a bit of a knob. Get over it, else you're going to win a green biro
Just scrolling through. Typical of you PIB! :lol:

Do you come here often and have you seen that guitarist? :lol:
Afflikönig
Amphetamine Filth

Bacon sandwich - red or brown?
Swinnow
Overbomber

He's lived up north long enough, so must be a HP man by now.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
mh
Above the Chemist

Why not red and brown? Yum!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Why not red and brown? Yum!
:eek: And you compain about my ahem purple fixation! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Afflikönig
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Why not red and brown? Yum!
Well that's just obscene :lol:

And since when has HP sauce been a northern thing???
Swinnow
Overbomber

We decided during our college days, back in prehistory, that the choice of HP or Ketchup was a dead good guide as to someone's origin.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....