Notebook - advice urgently needed

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Oh hell, I need another notebook ... and there is one ...

but I just don't know whether I should risk the cost because it's an Sony Vaio VPCEH1L8E/B ...

3 years old and for 320 € ...

Any opinions about that? Please help, because I have to decide tonight ... *and I absolutely suffer ...
Pista
Cureboi

I seem to recall sony recently announcing stopping support for their Vaio notebooks.

If you're going PC, then I'd go Lenovo, but always worth checking apple's online store.
They have refurbished, good as new machines for pretty good prices.
Scroll to the bottom of the store site & there should be a refurbished & clearance link there.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I've been very pleased with my Asus 36 - couple of years old now, nicely portable, does everything I need it to (which is quite a lot), not a gaming machine. Don't know what Vaio's are like these days but they used to be dreadful, personally I wouldn't take the risk.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
iesus
Overbomber

Vaio, Lenovo, Asus are working fine. I have a small Asus for my travels and works fine since january 2011. I have heard good things for lenovo from first hand also and worked on one for some days, lenovo is fine. Just have in mind that all of them tend to stop working good after the expiration of support period :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

There are lots and lots of new notebooks in that price range nowadays, so I would never buy second hand. I'm on my second Acer Aspire now, have not much to complain about.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Thank you all ... :notworthy: ... I have not bought it. There was just something I couldn't tell that was too strong to overcome and buy it.

One reason surely is that - exactly Euphoria - there are plenty NEW notebooks with great features around for a similar price. I don't buy one of those because I don't want Windows8 and because I'd always prefer to buy things second hand, not for the price, it's just that I hate wasting resources. Apple is cleary no option, Steve, for even the used ones go way beyond my means ... but thanks anyway. That were clearly an option, if ...

Oh hell, it's all very difficult for me, because I basically need no gaming machine or whatever fast device. What I need is however a good display, because of the pictures (for the SistersWiki for example). The colours gotta be clear and bright, the contrast fine ... and that's where the problems start ... *sigh ... each company offers different builts of their various machines and one has to check the data for each and every notebook ... while reading through tests for weeks by now slowly makes me doubt whether the results are on a level that won't apply to my needs anyway ... :? ...
Being645
Wiki Wizard

OK, finally I've bought one of the type I've had before, from third hand, for some 50 quid.... ;D ...

So, at least I can go on like normal now ... and I have bought time - until after XMas
when plenty great and not too old notebooks with perfect displays will probably get sold ... :wink: ...