Obligatory introductory thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hi!
I thought that instead of minor derailments of other threads, I should, perhaps, create my own... I mean, it's not as if I've already made 30 posts or anything... :innocent:

Rather embarrassingly, I only got into the Sisters via The World's End, because before that I mainly associated them with teenage memories (ca. early Naughties) of their songs getting played at goth* clubs and all the old goths making faces and refusing to dance. I used to think that was because they've heard the songs a thousand times before, but reading :von:'s comments on goths, I think there may have been a different reason :lol: (either that or the lack of releases since... '93?)

(For the record, I wouldn't consider myself a goth, despite the overwhelming amount of black clothes in my wardrobe. I like rock'n'roll... and I have never participated in the sacking of a Roman city.)

Oh, by the way, I've got a question: should I, as a newbie, join the birthday wishes threads? It feels like something only done by/for members who've already been around for a while, but I don't want to be rude, either.

*g***?
Pista
Cureboi

Join every thread you like :D

Welcome & enjoy.

BTW. First sign of gothdam.
Denial

You goth ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I tend to just post on birthday threads for people I've met in meatspace for what it's worth. But yeah, post where you like, no-one's going to be offended.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ola!
in dub we trust
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Welcome to the neo-golden age
Welcome to the days you've made

Wrong band but you get the gist
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

evening.
post what you like, everyone else does :p
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
mh
Above the Chemist

Hi there.

Have you answered The Question yet? ;)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
rien

Pista wrote: BTW. First sign of gothdam.
Denial

You goth ;D
Ehehehe. Yes, the old trap... or am I just denying it to confirm it? (Spoiler: I am not. Or am I?)
radiojamaica wrote:Ola!
Bring on the wave!
mh wrote: Have you answered The Question yet? ;)
Noooo I haven't! :D
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

where's the spotlight, lads?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

oh oh oh my turn.

You could be the one. Yes? No? :D And weeeelcome
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
rien

The song: I didn't know about that! Still working my way through the albums. The lyrics are both amusing (as usual) and gosh, kinda... mean. And probably the most transparent I've heard/read so far.

In general: Yes. Probably.

Cheers ^^
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
iesus
Overbomber

Ok, with that yes we are at about 85-87% yes to 13-15% No :D
and welcome :)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

iesus wrote:Ok, with that yes we are at about 85-87% yes to 13-15% No :D
of course, only the weak and petty say "no".
and welcome to yourself good Rien ...tho 30 posts in is shocking (i dont think i actually bothered with any of that and came straight in with a michael jackson joke :roll: )
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Welcome again, rien ... :lol: :D ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

rien wrote: Oh, by the way, I've got a question: should I, as a newbie, join the birthday wishes threads? It feels like something only done by/for members who've already been around for a while, but I don't want to be rude, either.
as pista/steve says: join what threads you like. certainly when it comes to birthday threads, wishing someone a happy birthday doesnt matter if you know them personally beforehand or not.

** as someone who starts a lot of birthday threads- due to the hours i keep and not because i am a collosal arse-licker- may i just say i tend to stick to anyone who is (or has been ) a regular poster, and not just any old kitchen outfit. so fuck you jameswherever you are. :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
rien

But: is the question about the song? Or anyone's own interpretation?
Also: Is that a real screenshot? Because if it is, that is definitely an episode of PoM I have to watch...
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:of course, only the weak and petty say "no".
and welcome to yourself good Rien ...tho 30 posts in is shocking (i dont think i actually bothered with any of that and came straight in with a michael jackson joke :roll: )
Or the truly enlightened ones? I can't tell, I'm sticking with "yes" ;)
Well, I was mainly trying to stop the merch thread from derailing into "oooh look, fresh meat" territory (alternatively, "look! I'm new! Ain't I fabulous!" territory).

All cleared up about the birfday threads!
iesus
Overbomber

rien wrote: But: is the question about the song? Or anyone's own interpretation?
Also: Is that a real screenshot? Because if it is, that is definitely an episode of PoM I have to watch...
No worries it is just a forum's tradition. No personal interpretation there is an active vote that settled any argument in the rightful place. ;D

This is a real photoshoped image that was used to make a report to the studio with the request to the creators to use SoM on the upcoming movie's OST in a couple of months :innocent: If you watch the movie and there is a Sisters of Mercy - Train 2014 Remix in a Train Chase scene with all Penguins wear shades you must know from now that it was not me :wink: :D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
LyanvisAberrant

The weak will rise... :evil:
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
culprit

rien wrote:Hi!
I only got into the Sisters via The World's End
Q. Is it any good??

...and hello!
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
rien

culprit wrote:
rien wrote:Hi!
I only got into the Sisters via The World's End
Q. Is it any good??

...and hello!
I have very mixed emotions about it. It's definitely incredibly well made (but then I love Edgar Wright's style), and Simon Pegg's acting is phenomenal (that isn't to say the other actors weren't great, too). And it's very thought-provoking; I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks afterwards. I think the only things I'm not happy with is the lack of women and the ending.

I can definitely recommend watching it once. (sorry if this seems disjointed; I spent most of the day being the central node of conference calling/texting trying to sort out a flat, beyond repair tyre on the car that me and some friends are on holiday with)
Pista
Cureboi

You went on holiday with a car?
Where on earth is it sleeping?
:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
rien

Pista wrote:You went on holiday with a car?
Where on earth is it sleeping?
:D
I tend to call dibs on the non-window side... (it's a rental car. Brain = toast)
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I thought the car slept in a flat
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives