goth at the bbc

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Early warning - Friday bbc4
Goths have feelings too
iesus
Overbomber

another documentary about cathedrals i guess, right ? :innocent:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Goth At The BBC, BBC Four

BBC Four airs a compilation of performances from the BBC to explore the ‘Goth’ style of British rock and pop in the 80s. This was a period of music in which dry ice, doomy lyrics and dyed black hair tortured skywards were only some of the constituent parts of this very British ‘tribe’ that flourished alongside Stock, Aitken and Waterman. BBC Four delves into the archives uncovering classic performances from Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, The m*****n and many more.
Goths have feelings too
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mqfl1

I really hope this shows up on Youtube or some other location, no chance of receiving BBC Four here. :(
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE
Pista
Cureboi

VonII wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mqfl1

I really hope this shows up on Youtube or some other location, no chance of receiving BBC Four here. :(
Is their iPlayer not available where you are?.
You should be able to watch it from there sometime after it airs
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

I'll be watching, if only to point how incorrect some of the band choices inevitably will be.

Once I've had a drink I'll probably blummin love it.
Anger Is An Energy
GC
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
VonII wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mqfl1

Is their iPlayer not available where you are?.
You should be able to watch it from there sometime after it airs
iplayer is not available outside uk :(
Pista
Cureboi

According to their site
BBC iPlayer is currently available in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg , Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
But if it's not available in your country, then try it via a UK proxy server & you'll be fine :wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
GC
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:According to their site
BBC iPlayer is currently available in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg , Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
But if it's not available in your country, then try it via a UK proxy server & you'll be fine :wink:
Only as an app for i pad,pod,phone....no android.
iesus
Overbomber

Currently watching The family that built Gothic Britain a nice docu in architecture
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I am. Great footage of The Cult, Sex Gang Children and Bauhaus so far. Specimen haven't improved with age though. The very ungoth Mrs L is unimpressed however and opted for an early bed when Andi Sex Gang started, erm, "singing".
ruffers
Overbomber

Specimen were kind of pantomime I thought. Didn't know them then.
Chucking another log on
Swinnow
Overbomber

Lucretia TOTP appearance.

Why did I smile at Strawberry Switchblade lol, who did I see them with in Leeds in my student days? Getting old.....
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Swinnow
Overbomber

And now Jezz on bongo's lmao
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I thought they would have had The Sisters from OGWT

But they probably thought two clips with Wayne in was too much even for Halloween
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
AlixJH
Road Kill

I'll be watching here

http://www.time4tv.com/2013/09/bbc-four.php

Not quite perfect, but for now it's enough..
:: You can't handle the truth ::
Debaser
Overbomber

Killing Joke's Youth on bass? :roll:

To be honest I've enjoyed the Anarchy In Manchester progs on Sky Arts much more - not for the band clips, because they are just the re-hashed ones that are always used, but the Tony Wilson interview clips.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
GC
Slight Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I am. Great footage of The Cult, Sex Gang Children and Bauhaus so far. Specimen haven't improved with age though. The very ungoth Mrs L is unimpressed however and opted for an early bed when Andi Sex Gang started, erm, "singing".
Same here...i could have gone on listening all night.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Fairly disappointing overall after a decent start. Strawberry Switchblade ?? Shakespeare's Sister ?!? Am not sure that DM or PJ Harvey would make most people's top 20s either if naming artists from the genre.
The title was a bit misleading as well, as for some bands they just used a video that had nothing to do with the BBC (eg FOTN). Would have been more interesting if they'd cut in a bit from that BBC2 show where Carl talked about Wicca, used live footage they have in the vaults rather than second-rate miming (Siouxsie/KJ/TSOM), and as Debaser said, had some interviews with major players like they usually do on BBC nostalgia shows.
Considering how much they trumpeted this show, it was a pretty p*ss-poor effort TBH. Perhaps in another thirty years we can expect something slightly better. We're pretty good at waiting ...
AlixJH
Road Kill

:: You can't handle the truth ::
VonII
Amphetamine Filth

No chance the episode will be uploaded somewhere for non-UK residents I suppose? :/
I do not necessarily agree with everything I think. -AE
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Very disappointing tbh, especially when compared to some of the other compilation shows on specific genre's.

As stated above some of the band choices were baffling/laughable/unbelievable & the lazy TOTP choices over Whisle Test live footage was annoying. The girls doing Marian on the Whistle Test should surely have been the highlight of the whole show?

Also, some interviews with the bands concerned or at least with some talking heads connected with the scene, would have possibly given some insight to the scene for the casual viewer.

Granted a lot of the bands that we'd have liked to see included never performed a note on the BBC, (hence the Moonchild promo) & so couldn't really feature & we could go back to the old 'what is goth' question but surely even the early to mid 80s Damned, Cleo era Violets clip, All About Eve footage had more of a case than Shakespears Sister & Strawberry Switchblade.

Alternatively, additional clips of the Cult, Sisters, m*****n, Banshees would have made more sense.

5/10......must try harder.
Give me one good reason
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote: Granted a lot of the bands that we'd have liked to see included never performed a note on the BBC, (hence the Moonchild promo) & so couldn't really feature & we could go back to the old 'what is goth' question but surely even the early to mid 80s Damned, Cleo era Violets clip, All About Eve footage had more of a case than Shakespears Sister & Strawberry Switchblade.
Some good suggestions here and totally agree with your other points. They have other great footage of some of the bands (from the Oxford Road Show as well as OGWT), and if they were going down the video route, Virgin Prunes, UK Decay et al could also have been included. Pretty telling that the only goth footage they could find from the last twenty years was Marilyn Manson.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

watching the repeat of this now. nothing surprising or of real note IMO. i'd forgotten how much i disliked the specimen and the sex gang children, how cute strawberry switchblade were (whilst not being at all goth, musically) and how pretentious nearly everyone looked apart from the sisters (who looked as cool as fook, natch)....apart from that it's all been said above. 5/10
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Now of course we couldn't sanction sharing of illegally downloaded and copyrighted material. (636 MB)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell