How many of these have you read?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.listchallenges.com/npr-top-1 ... tasy-books

I've read 51 of the 100, which slightly surprised me as it's a bit on the low side. On the other hand there's some real dross in there...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Hmm, 55 out of 100.

Kind of surprised me too, since while I was going through them I felt like I was ticking about 75% of the titles.

If I could be bothered, I'd go through it again and count them to see how many I really ticked, but… nah.
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
mh
Above the Chemist

30, likewise lower than I would have thought.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

51 as well

and yes, there is a lot of dross there
iesus
Overbomber

18 i thought i ve read more than that, there are books missing in here? :lol: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
czuczu
Overbomber

I was doing fine for the top end of the chart but ended up with only 34 :/
There are a lot of noticeable absentees from that list too - didn't notice any Pohl for starters.. And I still haven't got anywhere with Foundation - Asimov is just so dry..
jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just 70 if getting about a third of the way through the Silmarillion, before thinking it was like reading a trainspotters crossed off numbers book, counts
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, Pohl missing (Gateway at least should have been there), no Hamilton (Night's Dawn should have been there, probably also Commonwealth), an odd selection of books.

I did however make it through all 10 of the Malazan books, for which I likely deserve some kind of award.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Watership Down science fiction and fantasy?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Above the Chemist

... 8 ... :D ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

yeah i thought i'd ticked more than 35....some dross in there -a lot of which i've started and not finished. kudos to pioneers like jules verne but such tedious reading...
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

Only 50 and I got a whole room full of fantasy and science fiction books. But there are a lot of real classics missing (and some crap mentioned instead), re fantasy this includes some of my favourite series, e.g.
- Riddle-Master - Patricia McKilip
- The Black Company - Glen Cook
- His Dark Materials - Philip Pullmann
- Tad Williams is completely ignored (at least Otherland and Memory, Sorrow & Thorn are real classics)

However, nice that Jim Buthcher with his Calderon series is included, one of the best series in recent years together with the Askir series by German author Richard Schwartz, which I recommended to all, who haven't tried it yet (although I don't know, if the books have been released in English language).
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Not much, although Brave New World and Catch 22 are on my shelf, I was also tempted to buy Space Odyssey, but I didn't buy it.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

jande wrote:Just 70 if getting about a third of the way through the Silmarillion, before thinking it was like reading a trainspotters crossed off numbers book, counts
I've tried to read it twice. Not sure I even got past the first chapter.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:http://www.listchallenges.com/npr-top-1 ... tasy-books

I've read 51 of the 100, which slightly surprised me as it's a bit on the low side. On the other hand there's some real dross in there...
51 on the low side ? I haven't read a single one of them ! :oops: :oops:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I thought it likely to get a fairly broad sci-fi and fantasy readership on here. I think it's interesting that a couple of comics made it into the top 100; Sandman and Watchmen IIRC.

Any books that people should have made it on but didn't? I don't think I saw Mervyn Peake?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote:I thought it likely to get a fairly broad sci-fi and fantasy readership on here. I think it's interesting that a couple of comics made it into the top 100; Sandman and Watchmen IIRC.

Any books that people should have made it on but didn't? I don't think I saw Mervyn Peake?
true no Peake. odd. and if we're talking comics.....well i dont even have the patience to type that much. odd that some titles made it as part of a series/trilogy/set eg elric as a series when only some of which are very good and some are moorcock by numbers (most moorcock is moorcock by numbers).

biggest crime is theres absolutely no John Wyndham, not even day of the triffids. :?

and "wicked" is a f**king musical and doesnt even qualify yet l.frank baum (land of oz series aurthor) is otherwise nrepresented. :roll:

jande
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

No Neil Asher, David Brin, Michael Marshall Smith (Only Forward is an outstanding novel) and most of the 'golden age' authors seem to be absent in more ways than one
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber

As stated above, Tad Williams is missing as well...
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
iesus
Overbomber

No Cthulu = No Fiction :innocent:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
eastmidswhizzkid

iesus wrote:No Cthulu = No Fiction :innocent:
but august derleth, not lovecraft. i hate lovecraft with a passion (mainly for his wilfully incorrect usage of "magick" stolen from "actual" grimoires -much the same as i hate eastenders for perpetuating the myth that if you wish to visit someone in prison all you have to do is turn up unannounced with a rucksack full of "snout" and no ID).

Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote: Any books that people should have made it on but didn't? I don't think I saw Mervyn Peake?
This...

Should certainly be on there.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
rien

18. This seems like a very random list, but I'm glad they've put some Gaiman, Pratchett and Rothfuss in, otherwise my count would have been even lower.

Also, a lot of the ones I have read were sh!te, like the aforementioned Rothfuss (the second book is much better), or some of the "classics" which have far been surpassed by derivative works.
I tried Outlander, but made the mistake of trying it as an audio book, which I couldn't stomach for the idealised rapey situations.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Kutan

21. And I also missed Mervyn Peake as well as Lord Dunsany. And where, may I ask, is Gustav Meyrink?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Any books that people should have made it on but didn't?
Ahem, mine?