FALAA discussed in new Quietus article

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This has probably been covered elsewhere, but for those that missed it, the Quietus website posted an interesting FALAA Revisited article yesterday written by Julian Marszalek...
I like their articles as much for the comments as their text. :von:
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks, always forget that!
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Nice article
Being645
Above the Chemist

A good one. Indeed, somehow new ... thanks ... ;D :notworthy: ...
Durly
Road Kill

Interesting facts about the Albert Hall gig. I wasn't there but have watched the VHS dozens of times. I can only imagine how peeved I'd have been if I'd turned up to only see them playing the encores. Anyone know why it started and finished so early?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Durly wrote:Interesting facts about the Albert Hall gig. I wasn't there but have watched the VHS dozens of times. I can only imagine how peeved I'd have been if I'd turned up to only see them playing the encores. Anyone know why it started and finished so early?
Broken bones and drugs? Or was that a different show?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

That is actually very reminiscent of the Kerrang magazine review of FALAA that originally got me into the band back in 1985. Not what you would expect from a Metal mag you might think but reviewer Dave Dickson was always a champion of th band.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Big Si
School Bully

Durly wrote:Interesting facts about the Albert Hall gig. I wasn't there but have watched the VHS dozens of times. I can only imagine how peeved I'd have been if I'd turned up to only see them playing the encores. Anyone know why it started and finished so early?
It was a Tuesday (a School night) and there was no support band ? Maybe the Hall had to be cleared for setting up for an event the following day ?
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Nice read, but this made me scratch my head:

"First And Last And Always opens with the album's weakest track"
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
shiver
Road Kill

from the comments section:

Anrew Liles take on FALAA

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
Eyes-like-Ice
Road Kill

Aazhyd wrote:Nice read, but this made me scratch my head:

"First And Last And Always opens with the album's weakest track"
would have eaten my Shorts if they'd played this song live only once.
this was the Point where i stopped reading.
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It was this comment that got me or end of; "And Floodland was OK-ish although overblown - but everything after that was completely unlistenable."

Horse doodoo, Vision Thing is a master piece, its top quality full force driving Rock and Roll.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
Durly
Road Kill

I wouldn't call 'Vision Thing' unlistenable but, if I'm being brutally honest, I really don't like it. 'FALAA' is an absolute masterpiece and, for me, gets better and better with age. 'Floodland' I still quite like but find side two eminently more listenable than side one. 'Flood II and 'Driven Like The Snow' are especially great. I honestly, really wouldn't be bothered if I never heard 'Vision Thing' again though. Not being sniffy or elitist in any way. It just never grabbed me at all. I know a lot of people love it and it's all subjective obviously but I never warmed to it and never really liked that Eldritch/Tony James line up.
Conversely, however, despite the fact that it was a "knocked up in 5 minutes" piece of work to stave off the Hussey/Adams 'Sisterhood' claim, I REALLY like 'Gift'. I know it got awful, awful reviews at the time and is seen as a petty, bitter and unpleasant piece of work by many but I am a big fan.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

My favourite 3 albums, in this order:

VT
Floodland
FALAA

Used to be the opposite way around when I was younger (hated VT when it came out - the sound and attitude just made no sense compared with their previous work) but as I've got older I think VT stands the test of time more than the others.

Maybe it's because out of all their recorded work, VT is the album that's nearest to how they still sound live, so hearing tracks like Ribbons and Det Blvd live reminds me of the album, and vice versa.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the article is pretty good by comparison with some of the s**t that gets written about The Sisters - at least it's (almost all) actually accurate.

And I like VT.

Sue me :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mh
Above the Chemist

VT isn't bad but it's not great either. There's - IMO - a weak mid-section in it, comprising Something Fast, WYDSM and Dr Jeep, which pulls the overall ranking of the LP down for me. Otherwise the quality of the tracks is up there with anything else the band have ever done.

These days however I find myself listening to their 82/83 material far more than anything else, so I guess that era is my favourite. That's not to deny the band's right to move on and do new/different stuff, of course; it's just a bunch of songs and those ones are just those which I happen to enjoy most.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah must admit Vision Thing is the one I'd listen to most. It just seems so current, so to speak, with the world seemingly getting more mad every day and you can't beat a good rawk riff every now and again. For me also it's the most lyrically complex and mature. That's not to say First and Last isn't brilliant and Floodland is of course great. Love them all in fact with Vision Thing just above the others. ;D
The Chancer Corporation
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

Bar Vision Thing/Ribbons, VT is a big steaming pile of crap

If that is the best he can do then it's no surprise we haven't had another album - in fact it's a blessing
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

abridged wrote:Ah must admit Vision Thing is the one I'd listen to most. It just seems so current, so to speak, with the world seemingly getting more mad every day and you can't beat a good rawk riff every now and again. For me also it's the most lyrically complex and mature. That's not to say First and Last isn't brilliant and Floodland is of course great. Love them all in fact with Vision Thing just above the others. ;D
aye, wot he sed ^ :notworthy:
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

I love Vision Thing. Its full of Andy's sharpest lyrics, and though I can happy leave songs like Detonation Blvd and More entirely alone, Ribbons and I was Wrong are two of the best Sisters tunes ever.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Vision Thing:

1. Vision Thing - Excellent
2. Ribbons - Even better
3. Detonation Boulevard - Decent
4. Something Fast - Decent
5. When You Don't See Me - Awful
6. Dr. Jeep - OK
7. More - In itself a good song, but way too long. I like the 7" better.
8. I Was Wrong - OK
9. You Could Be The One - Decent

Ribbons alone is worth the album, but it has some issues, I think.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I played the Vision Thing LP over the weekend, it sounded incredible. Far warmer in tone than the CD, which sometimes suffers from digital "bite". The intro to When You Don't See Me was positively holographic!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Aazhyd wrote:Vision Thing:

1. Vision Thing - Excellent
2. Ribbons - Even better
3. Detonation Boulevard - Decent
4. Something Fast - Decent
5. When You Don't See Me - Awful
6. Dr. Jeep - OK
7. More - In itself a good song, but way too long. I like the 7" better.
8. I Was Wrong - OK
9. You Could Be The One - Decent

Ribbons alone is worth the album, but it has some issues, I think.
agreed, apart from YCBTO ;D

swap More for the short version and swap Dr Jeep for the long version, and perfect :!:
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:I played the Vision Thing LP over the weekend, it sounded incredible. Far warmer in tone than the CD, which sometimes suffers from digital "bite". The intro to When You Don't See Me was positively holographic!
Part of the harshness is down to too many CD players/DAC's being way way too clinical and P poor OPamp's in there. Then a lot of transfers were way too clinical too, or just badly done with little care to keep the originals sound intact..
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
robertzombie
Overbomber

Alex66 wrote:
robertzombie wrote:I played the Vision Thing LP over the weekend, it sounded incredible. Far warmer in tone than the CD, which sometimes suffers from digital "bite". The intro to When You Don't See Me was positively holographic!
Part of the harshness is down to too many CD players/DAC's being way way too clinical and P poor OPamp's in there. Then a lot of transfers were way too clinical too, or just badly done with little care to keep the originals sound intact..
I think in this instance it's more to do with the mastering. It's a fully digital recording, just sounds better on vinyl :) The Rhino remaster doesn't suffer as much.