Sisters spotting

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
iesus
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 13:35 a mate who was listening texted me and said "jesus christ is that the s**t you like? sounds like a tier 3 lockdown version of joy division! what a dirge!" :lol:
Perhaps one of the reasons lockdowns doesn't seem to affect us :innocent: :innocent: :lol: :lol: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hahah

aye, could be
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Radio 2 played The Sisters yesterday too. Kerching! This Corrosion was played as part of a... *gulp*..."G*th Megamix."
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
iesus
Overbomber

Jesus! Luckily today they were played as a Blues example musicaly as Dj said after a Bob Dylan song. Also there was a mention that Sisters covered Bob Dylan :innocent: 8)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:47 as thorough as our anti-spam measures currently are...
Does the signup require answering a question? if not, does the forum software allow you to add one?
A forum I was admin on was getting spam and when a pifflingly easy googlable question was added it took the spambots 6 months to learn the answer. (And at that point you change the question.) Literally any question, it doesn't have to be obscure - "What is Mr Eldritch's first name?" for example is too much for an automated spambot to handle until a human gets involved.
Pista
Cureboi

Dan wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 16:56
Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:47 as thorough as our anti-spam measures currently are...
Does the signup require answering a question? if not, does the forum software allow you to add one?
A forum I was admin on was getting spam and when a pifflingly easy googlable question was added it took the spambots 6 months to learn the answer. (And at that point you change the question.) Literally any question, it doesn't have to be obscure - "What is Mr Eldritch's first name?" for example is too much for an automated spambot to handle until a human gets involved.
There is a captcha but there's a whole other layer of stuff before you get anywhere near that.
If one does slip through though there's a report function (! icon) that will ping the staff instantly who can nuke them before they become a menace :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:50 the m*****n thing was always a silly joke and no harm was meant
I always took the view that being childish was part of the whole point of it (the censorship), and that if anybody was taking it seriously, well, maybe they shouldn't.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

mh wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 19:58
Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:50 the m*****n thing was always a silly joke and no harm was meant
I always took the view that being childish was part of the whole point of it (the censorship), and that if anybody was taking it seriously, well, maybe they shouldn't.
Preach, agree totally.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54768611
(Scroll down).
I wonder if this chap is a forum member?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Scardwel wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 10:28 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54768611
(Scroll down).
Nice!
Lou Wellman co-owns Boheme Coffee Lounge & Bar in Poole, like others he said the second lockdown has come "as no great surprise" saying he "felt better prepared to deal with it this time".

"I think it's preferable to the uncertainty of the tier system and it perhaps has a better chance of controlling the number of cases, but I have serious doubts about its effectiveness while schools and universities stay open as they seem to be the main source of positive tests.

"Thanks to the furlough scheme, we were able to retain all of our staff and with the idle time, managed to take a good look at our business and learn where we could be more efficient to help cope with the downturn in business when we reopened in July."

Mr Wellman said his main goal is "take care of our staff" and keep them employed.
Good man.

You on here, Lou? :D
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
nomad
Amphetamine Filth

Scardwel wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 10:28 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54768611
(Scroll down).
Great spot Scardy!

By which I mean, I started reading that article but didn't scroll down far enough. It's not me!
mh
Above the Chemist

From the F club to Go4 to proto Goth : Post punk Leeds : and in depth look at how punk impacted on the city.

Another fantastic Louder than War article, more of a focus on the broader Leeds post-punk scene, but also delving into some deep Sisters history (including one or two items that were new to me, such as recollections of how Von first met Gary, for inst).

This one's worth taking some time to read in more careful detail. :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
iesus
Overbomber

Nice article @mh :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Ta @mh for the pointer.

I was thinking back to the early 80's and I have a recollection of rocky/punky nights at Scrumpies, which was a dive of a place underground close to X Clothes (then), Five Guys (now) and the Corn Exchange. In those days pre-Brannigan's we would take visitors from out of town into the New Penny and time how long it would take their penny to drop. The Whip, Black Swan (Mucky Duck) and The Duncan nearby were 'wonderful' examples of Leeds neo-nazi establishments of the time.
ruffers
Overbomber

Another really good read, ta.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

nomad wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 19:23
(Scroll down).
Great spot Scardy!

By which I mean, I started reading that article but didn't scroll down far enough. It's not me!
Ahaha that cafe is only down the road from me. Nice.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Swinnow wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 18:17 Ta @mh for the pointer.

I was thinking back to the early 80's and I have a recollection of rocky/punky nights at Scrumpies, which was a dive of a place underground close to X Clothes (then), Five Guys (now) and the Corn Exchange. In those days pre-Brannigan's we would take visitors from out of town into the New Penny and time how long it would take their penny to drop. The Whip, Black Swan (Mucky Duck) and The Duncan nearby were 'wonderful' examples of Leeds neo-nazi establishments of the time.
This is really interesting, can you elaborate?
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 15:33 From the F club to Go4 to proto Goth : Post punk Leeds : and in depth look at how punk impacted on the city.

Another fantastic Louder than War article, more of a focus on the broader Leeds post-punk scene, but also delving into some deep Sisters history (including one or two items that were new to me, such as recollections of how Von first met Gary, for inst).

This one's worth taking some time to read in more careful detail. :notworthy:
Magnificent read, cheers for the link Michael :D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 13:25
Billy Corgan? Really ima gonna have to go find that on Sounds

Poetic really, AE and BC have more than a few things in common when it comes to bands and music
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Swinnow
Overbomber

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 23:27 Billy Corgan? Really ima gonna have to go find that on Sounds

Poetic really, AE and BC have more than a few things in common when it comes to bands and music
Perversely, I'd still like to hear a recording from the "FALAA" sessions held by Hussey and Adams with Corgan a few years ago.
mh
Above the Chemist

Swinnow wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 01:35
DJElectricDaddy wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 23:27 Billy Corgan? Really ima gonna have to go find that on Sounds

Perversely, I'd still like to hear a recording from the "FALAA" sessions held by Hussey and Adams with Corgan a few years ago.
Yeah, me too. It might be terrible and I'd be prepared to accept it's terrible, but I'm at least curious enough to want to hear what it sounded like.
Swinnow
Overbomber

mh wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 03:02 Yeah, me too. It might be terrible and I'd be prepared to accept it's terrible, but I'm at least curious enough to want to hear what it sounded like.
True, I'm just intrigued to hear Corgan try to hit the then Eldritch register.

Would Craig still do the 'German' bits in Marian? :lol:
DJElectricDaddy

iesus wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 14:17
Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 13:35 a mate who was listening texted me and said "jesus christ is that the s**t you like? sounds like a tier 3 lockdown version of joy division! what a dirge!" :lol:
Perhaps one of the reasons lockdowns doesn't seem to affect us :innocent: :innocent: :lol: :lol: :bat:
Haha exactly this. To quote Winona in Beetlejuice “my whole life is one big dark room”
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
DJElectricDaddy

Swinnow wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 01:35

WHAT? This happened? Christ is that where a very young Billy Corgan learned to treat his band ‘mates’ with utter contempt and grow a monumental ego. It all makes so much more sense now
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning