We come from the land of the ice and snow...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Planning a little holidayette to Iceland at the end of next week. Any HLers up there interested in some competition drinking? Also, any suggestions for things to do? We've got a couple of activities lined up but it would be good to hear about Things That Only Locals Know About.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Take plenty of money. Drinks are very expensive!! Have a lovely time :)
EvilBastard
Overbomber

elamanamou wrote:Take plenty of money. Drinks are very expensive!! Have a lovely time :)
They were plenty pricey when I was there in 2000! :lol: Really looking forward to seeing what's changed, and the 4 hours of daylight...
Hank Moody
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Not sure if you're too early aurelius borealis? Usually sighted during spring equinox. I was going to say post plenty of pics, but I don't think you can on HL? Enjoy :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I thought the aurora was dependent on levels of solar particle-flux, not season.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Very true, but very common to see during spring equinox.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I thought the aurora was dependent on levels of solar particle-flux, not season.
I'm hoping for some sightings - now, where can I get this solar particle flux? My local ironmonger has never heard of it, although he did suggest that tinning flux might work in a pinch. Does Amazon have it?
Hank Moody
Squeakymouse
Road Kill
Location: The place in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight

We went to Iceland a couple of years ago - now is a good time of year to see the aurora because of the long dark nights (aurora still happens in summer but is difficult to see because it doesn't get dark enough at night), but its best to get away from city light pollution to get the best view.

Food and drink is expensive as a lot of it is imported.

Are you staying in Reykjavik or travelling around?
Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Only going to be there for 4 days, so staying in Reykjavik with some excursions (assuming that it doesn't snow, otherwise there may be nothing else for it than to stay snuggled under the blankies).
Hank Moody
iesus
Overbomber

I heard that they have a delicious dish with shark called Kæstur hákarl accompanied with strong icelandinc vodka ;D
Please try it and tell us your experience :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
EvilBastard
Overbomber

iesus wrote:I heard that they have a delicious dish with shark called Kæstur hákarl accompanied with strong icelandinc vodka ;D
Please try it and tell us your experience :notworthy:
Not. A. Pigging. Chance. Matey! Last time I was there we got "tired and emotional" on the local hooch, and someone suggested we try this "delicious local dish". The grins on the faces of his mates told us something was up, and when the thing arrived in a block about an inch cubed it was clear that this was something that only foodie-foreigners would ever order. We declined it with thanks, precipitating laughter and another round. Perhaps two.

I don't remember how I got home that night, but I do remember the hangover - imagine a herd of rogue elephants playing petanque inside your skull with live grenades, and in between rounds practicing their Riverdance routines, and you almost get to about 1% of how bad it felt. I'm avoiding brennivin this time out in favour of Icelandic vodka, which apparently is purer than a kitten's Naughty Bits, the water being drawn from glacial springs and filtered through lava rocks.
Hank Moody
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

apparently there's a penis museum. :eek:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:apparently there's a penis museum. :eek:
There is - the Phallological Institute. Fascinating place - willies from all sort of animals, they've been promised some from people also. But the gift shop is fantastic - nearly bought my sister a lampshade made from a tanned bull's scrotum. Want one? Or would you settle for a door handle in the shape of a thingie?
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:... levels of solar particle-flux ...
You need to reverse the polarity, bypass the compressor, run a diagnostic then reroute the backup, and you should have it.

Sorry. Coat.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

With 4 days available, I'd at least try to visit the very odd but nice small town of Akureyri, center of the north and with Myvatn, Dimmuborgir and the highlight Hverir only a good hour drive to the east. Hverir is surreal even by Icelandic standards...

https://www.google.de/search?q=hverir&c ... 20&bih=971

As the whole area smells strongly of sulphur gases, any hangover will be cleared immediately :innocent:

Another spectacular place is Jokulsarlon in the south east, take a boat trip on a lake full of blue ice blocks.

Actually, there is no problem driving round the island on the ring road even if you only have three nights. Icelandic winters are very mild, and should there be snow your car tyres won't have any problem with that on the only real road in the country. Actually the only disadvantage with off season is the darkness.

Iceland is much less expensive comparatively than it was in 2000.
Squeakymouse
Road Kill
Location: The place in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight

euphoria wrote:With 4 days available, I'd at least try to visit the very odd but nice small town of Akureyri, center of the north and with Myvatn, Dimmuborgir and the highlight Hverir only a good hour drive to the east. Hverir is surreal even by Icelandic standards...

https://www.google.de/search?q=hverir&c ... 20&bih=971

As the whole area smells strongly of sulphur gases, any hangover will be cleared immediately :innocent:

Another spectacular place is Jokulsarlon in the south east, take a boat trip on a lake full of blue ice blocks.

Actually, there is no problem driving round the island on the ring road even if you only have three nights. Icelandic winters are very mild, and should there be snow your car tyres won't have any problem with that on the only real road in the country. Actually the only disadvantage with off season is the darkness.

Iceland is much less expensive comparatively than it was in 2000.
Yes Akureyri and Myvatn are recommended if you can get there, we did an internal flight to Akureyri rather than driving there. There is a natural hot outdoor pool at Myvatn which is much less touristy than the Blue Lagoon at Reykjavik. Jokulsarlon is also well worth a visit - even if you don't do a boat trip you can watch blue and white ice floes washing up on a black sand beach which is, like, really far out, man.

I looked for the Phallological Institute but unfortunately couldn't find it (or probably fortunately, given the photos that would have ended up on my phone :eek: )
Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.