September 1st: The Roundhouse, London UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2017
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Really great. Loved it. Tomorrow again! ;-)
The Chancer Corporation
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

I enjoyed the gig. Sound was better away from the mosh pit but it was fun being boisterous and being thrown at the stage during Jihad. Wish I could go again 'tomorrow'. Great seeing old friends.
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'll try to write a lot of words and sorry if I'm repeating what others wrote. I skimmed and didn't see too many details in prior reviews. Also, thank you to those who fed me gin since I hadn't yet gotten local currency myself (you know who you are) but it may dampen the accuracy of all these words.

I'd just gotten off the plane and barely set down my luggage before going off to the venue. This is actually the first time I've seen the Sisters of Mercy in London, oddly. I abandoned my airbnb early and figured I'd wander around Camden a bit, but there was a decent crowd already lined up so I joined them. Good to see everyone again.

Large crowd by the time the doors opened. A few had traveled just for Therapy? and I switched with a fan who wanted the front for their set and got to observe a bit more of the crowd that way. Therapy? was good and the crowd was receptive and energetic. Got pummeled a bit by crowd surfers, which is always fun until it isn't. I thought it was a good set and there were a couple of moments that "landed" for me, but all-in-all, it was just an opener to me.

For the main show... There was an added dose of drama to this production. From the timing to the stage to the vocals, it is an enhanced experience. There are mirrors. Big mirrors in the back and the lights and smoke were thoughtfully done. It all creates an atmosphere and impact. The sound was different than past shows but not dramatically so. The elements of the sound were more distinct and paced to deliver a nuanced whole. Listen for that on recordings. (And then explain it to me because I can't really explain it much better, sorry.) The result was clean but not simple and felt and sounded transportive. I bet it would be cool to experience in an altered state. (If you'd like to take that bet, I may try to prove it tomorrow.;)

I was excited to hear Kiss the Carpet but the energy did wax and wane, as others have said. FALAA, More, and others really delivered with a restrained build and ultimate payout. Dr. Jeep and Vision thing were others that struck on different levels than they did last year. I liked Dr. Jeep more than usual but I've been finding Vision Thing depressing because it reminds me of my own personal failures to make the world better. Revolver was powerful and well-executed.

The crowd was enthusiastic and Andrew was engaged and performing well. I did notice that his elbow/arm still seems to be an issue, but it didn't seem to interfere with the performance and maybe I imagined it anyhow.

I really liked the venue and I'm kind of happy just to not be at home, but I thought this was a great show. I was not in the right frame of mind to enjoy it at first, but (as it usually does with the Sisters and only with the Sisters) that took care of itself quickly. And changed my state of mind. Which is why I'm here, really.

Afterwards was fun as well and got to meet some heartlanders. I'd mention names but I don't want to taint anyone's mystique. Looking forward to tomorrow.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

As an added bonus for you t shirt fans there was a "Roundhouse" variation of the tour shirt. Same front print but with Roundhouse September 2017 on the back. Purchased after queuing for fifteen minutes to get to the merch stand.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
robertzombie
Overbomber

They've also redone the old head and star enamel badge.
czuczu
Overbomber

Yeah, merch stand queue was v long - snuck out to the foyer during the encore break and it was still the same length!
(No tea towels so no brownie points for me...)

No Ribbons last night :urff:
And apologies for not getting to speak to or catch up with anyone - trains, crowd etc. Will try harder tonight!
mandrake
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Master Margarita wrote:Von yelps like a poodle asking to be shown the door, and whatever subtlety that ever existed in the muzak is but a clumsy riff of an ever more distant riff. Still, got to hand it it to the man who can't sing, can't play instruments but yet somehow fills a venue full of people who hold on to the old lie; a comfort blanket for the nondescript unwashed. Nostalgia isn't supposed to be this barren.

Taylor's shortcoming is to fail to retire gracefully or put his chopper on the line through the safe confines of the studio. Neither of which would aggregate as much had he chosen to not be quite so gobby at an age when he knew better.

But each their own.
Well said..I agree. Some still think Mr.E rocks....he did up tp about 2000...I was so embarrassed the last time.. Each to their pwn ofcourse...those who still enjoy it..rock on by all means!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Chaotican wrote:I bet it would be cool to experience in an altered state. (If you'd like to take that bet, I may try to prove it tomorrow.;)
Essential, never mind cool. Cheers for the fine coherent review :notworthy:

I'm also most intrigued to hear Revolver, Moby's cover is glorious but can't say I've heard the original.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I really enjoyed it. I think they were as good as they get nowadays. Roll on the different set list tonight!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Pista
Cureboi

Lovely reporting folks :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

"Revolver" actually is not a cover as it was written by Moby especially for :von: 's voice. There is a topic that was mentioned many many interviews and sources about that.
Waiting for tonite's gig and then will write further experiences and details for both gigs. Lots of Heartlanders in London it was a pleasure to meet some of them (you know who you are) and will catch up today as well. :D
Last edited by iesus on 02 Sep 2017, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote:And this is from the new album

Only joking folks
Still chuckling about this one. 😂
radiojamaica
Overbomber

iesus wrote:"Revolver" actually is not a cover as it was written by Moby especially for :von: 's voice. There is a topic that was mentioned many many interviews and sources about that.
Nah, Revolver is a m*****n of Burma song the Mobster covered. Lift Me Up was the song he wrote with Eldritch in mind. Couldn't track him down to actually sing it though :wink:

WTF, mirrors?! So that's the change :lol:
in dub we trust
Pista
Cureboi

From czuczu's twitter feed

:D
Last edited by Pista on 02 Sep 2017, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
streamline
Slight Overbomber

radiojamaica wrote:
WTF, mirrors?! So that's the change :lol:
At one point he crouched down and if you looked in the mirror it looked like he was having a dump!! 😂😂😂

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

First YouTube clip (Lucretia) that isn't a fake streaming service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0BtsM7-OE
Pista
Cureboi

Nice photo posted by Chris on instagram
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

More great photos from czuczu on twitter

:notworthy: :notworthy:
Last edited by Pista on 02 Sep 2017, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

Beaten to my own pictures! :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

czuczu wrote:Beaten to my own pictures! :lol:
:lol:

Sorry. I took advantage of the break in the formula 1 qualification
:oops:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

I didn't qualify for that either! (spoiler alert)
hellboy69

ribbons69 wrote:As an added bonus for you t shirt fans there was a "Roundhouse" variation of the tour shirt. Same front print but with Roundhouse September 2017 on the back. Purchased after queuing for fifteen minutes to get to the merch stand.
Was lucky to nab one, almost sold out when i ducked out to purchase.

Merch stand pics for anyone interested:

sultan2075
Overbomber

kafka wrote:On the one hand, I'm salivating at the notion of the Sisters doing Revolver and looking forward to seeing it on YouTube. OTOH, it's a bit of a shame that it's apparently the same-old same-old, essentially...
I've actually wanted to hear them cover that for about 20 years now! Pretty excited to hear this.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Above the Chemist

lazarus corporation wrote:First YouTube clip (Lucretia) that isn't a fake streaming service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd0BtsM7-OE
Ah, thank you ... that looks good. And also all the photos @czuczu .... mirrors and all new colours ... :D :D :D ... :notworthy: ...
LyanvisAberrant

Although I didn't work up the courage to talk to anyone but my comfort blanket (brother), it was really lovely to be surrounded by so many sisters fans.
It was my first sisters gig and it was a dream come true. I can't believe I've now seen both walk away and rock and a hard place played live, it was perfect in my eyes.
Peace out guys, I'm happy now.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.