Some Girls Wander By Mistake (4LP Vinyl Box Set)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

OUT SEPTEMBER 1ST:
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake", 4LP box set that includes the original double LP album, plus two 12� singles taken from that era, “Temple of Love� and “Under the Gun�.
Featuring everything from their very first single, 1980’s "The Damage Done", to "Alice" and “The Reptile House EP�, this box set retraces The Sisters Of Mercy’s formative years and their rise to cult acclaim.
Pre-order it here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/SGWBMLP
robertzombie
Overbomber

Totally bizarre that Rhino would include Temple of Love 92 and Under the Gun in this set. I am of course very curious to find out what sources they have used for the early singles. The original release is mostly needledrops.
Being645
Above the Chemist

robertzombie wrote:OUT SEPTEMBER 1ST:
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake", 4LP box set that includes the original double LP album, plus two 12� singles taken from that era, “Temple of Love� and “Under the Gun�.
Featuring everything from their very first single, 1980’s "The Damage Done", to "Alice" and “The Reptile House EP�, this box set retraces The Sisters Of Mercy’s formative years and their rise to cult acclaim.
Pre-order it here: https://Rhino.lnk.to/SGWBMLP
or for those not on spotify and stuff, preorders are - at first look - available here, or here, though there should be more offers coming soon ... :wink: ...
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

ouch, that really aint cheap.
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:Totally bizarre that Rhino would include Temple of Love 92 and Under the Gun in this set. I am of course very curious to find out what sources they have used for the early singles. The original release is mostly needledrops.
Needledrops because the masters to the early singles are either destroyed or in private possession of collectors...
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Being645
Above the Chemist

panzerfaust wrote:ouch, that really aint cheap.
Cheaper than the average old SGWBM 2LP vinlys @eBay ... :lol: ...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
As well as the cd version I also have the cassette version that I purchased for twenty pence from a local car boot sale. I don't think I need another version to be honest.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Money for old rope.
Four strings good, six strings bad
robertzombie
Overbomber

Drsisters wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Totally bizarre that Rhino would include Temple of Love 92 and Under the Gun in this set. I am of course very curious to find out what sources they have used for the early singles. The original release is mostly needledrops.
Needledrops because the masters to the early singles are either destroyed or in private possession of collectors...
Masters, yes. But the cutting tapes might have been found especially for the MPO cut singles.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
made me wonder, but it doesnt seem to be the case

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/394721?ev=rb
Being645
Above the Chemist

panzerfaust wrote:
Being645 wrote:
made me wonder, but it doesnt seem to be the case

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/394721?ev=rb
Yes, discogs is often the better choice if you want to buy vinyls ... :D ...
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

ribbons69 wrote:
Being645 wrote:
As well as the cd version I also have the cassette version that I purchased for twenty pence from a local car boot sale. I don't think I need another version to be honest.
Got it on vinyl, cassette and CD...TOL92 as 7 inch, promo 12 inch and CD box set..UTG as 7 inch and CD. I can´t really see why I should pay another 80 US lira for the box set. At some point you have to say "enough".
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Shadaloo
Road Kill

Agreed for the most part. It's not like these are necessary....above all, certainly there have been some wonderful fan-tuned adjustments to audio quality in recent years *coughthanksverymuchcough* :) but I'm still very curious to hear how this turns out. The other lp sets have been fantastic imo.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Why are they not necessary? There are many reasons why this reissue could better a) the original compilation (easily) and b) the original singles. Similarly, where is the sense in owning a bunch of records all cut at the same time in the '90s when vinyl QC was at an all time low, but not having an interest in the recent advances made in vinyl cutting or indeed A/D conversion wrt the digital release?

Sisters fans: Stock up on a load of s**t bootlegs and identical promos but aren't actually interested when there are potential sonic gains to be made to the core catalogue.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i agree Rob. the recent resurgence in vinyl has mostly unaffected me as i rarely play vinyl these days but when i do i find that despite having been phenomenally careful with records my Sisters ones at least are almost worn out from years of use. they all still play but crackle and click to buggery and i would love a brand new copy of each; especially as you say if they are "better" due to modern technology. £35 is cheap IMO. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

robertzombie wrote:Why are they not necessary? There are many reasons why this reissue could better a) the original compilation (easily) and b) the original singles. Similarly, where is the sense in owning a bunch of records all cut at the same time in the '90s when vinyl QC was at an all time low, but not having an interest in the recent advances made in vinyl cutting or indeed A/D conversion wrt the digital release?
That's quite an interesting comment considering what you published here (which I thought was an excellent piece BTW).
I'm guessing the '90s saw the labels trying to herd us all into converting to CD & so their focus was on the "new" medium.
Today, like it or not, there is still a huge focus on streaming & digital copies, even to the extent that many re-issues come with download codes so people don't need to get their new platter out of the sleeve.
So, despite the advances in cutting tech & A/D conversion, it's questionable that pressing quality control is any better than 30 years ago.
That said, the last batch of Sisters re-issues were indeed very good & if that standard is maintained, this new set could be an eye opener. Let's hope so. :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Why are they not necessary? There are many reasons why this reissue could better a) the original compilation (easily) and b) the original singles. Similarly, where is the sense in owning a bunch of records all cut at the same time in the '90s when vinyl QC was at an all time low, but not having an interest in the recent advances made in vinyl cutting or indeed A/D conversion wrt the digital release?
That's quite an interesting comment considering what you published here (which I thought was an excellent piece BTW).
I'm guessing the '90s saw the labels trying to herd us all into converting to CD & so their focus was on the "new" medium.
Today, like it or not, there is still a huge focus on streaming & digital copies, even to the extent that many re-issues come with download codes so people don't need to get their new platter out of the sleeve.
So, despite the advances in cutting tech & A/D conversion, it's questionable that pressing quality control is any better than 30 years ago.
That said, the last batch of Sisters re-issues were indeed very good & if that standard is maintained, this new set could be an eye opener. Let's hope so. :)
You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
Pista
Cureboi

robertzombie wrote:
Pista wrote:
You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
Oh, I totally agree. If the recent standard is maintained that is.
But one thing sticks out with this. The original album (2015) reissues were all Warner efforts.
This latest box set is (as per your linky) a Rhino job (as were the 2006 remasters).
Hopefully it won't mean any less effort taken on quality control.
I'm quite excited about it, but I am still completely engrossed in the needle drop project of yours :notworthy: .
This set would have to go a long way to get much better than that.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
robertzombie wrote:
Pista wrote: That's quite an interesting comment considering what you published here (which I thought was an excellent piece BTW).
Oh, I totally agree. If the recent standard is maintained that is.
But one thing sticks out with this. The original album (2015) reissues were all Warner efforts.
This latest box set is (as per your linky) a Rhino job (as were the 2006 remasters).
Hopefully it won't mean any less effort taken on quality control.
I'm quite excited about it, but I am still completely engrossed in the needle drop project of yours :notworthy: .
Rhino = Warner :D
Shadaloo
Road Kill

Pista wrote:But I am still completely engrossed in the needle drop project of yours :notworthy: .
^ The only point I was making. ;) I'm still immensely grateful for the vast, vast vast improvement in quality over the SGWBM CD thanks to which, for years before vinyl became en vogue again, I'd formed an opinion of relative indifference to the pre-FALAA material which lasted quite some time until I dug further. I can't stress how flat and poor that CD sounds.

Anyhow, it's not like I'm not going to pick this up. Only shame is that it's 2 LPs for the compilation, and another two for TOL 1992 and Under The Gun: http://media.rhino.com/press-release/si ... eptember-1

Would be nice if they reproduced each and every original single, but...wishful thinking. 8)
Pista
Cureboi

It's just popped up on Pledge Music
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

Pista wrote:It's just popped up on Pledge Music
Received the newsletter few minutes ago and there were 86 copies left. It's the Rhino edition correct?
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

iesus wrote:
Received the newsletter few minutes ago and there were 86 copies left. It's the Rhino edition correct?
I believe so. It's just a pre-order page.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
iesus wrote:
I believe so. It's just a pre-order page.
Sixty pence cheaper (in the UK) if you order it from Amazon. Why is this on Pledge anyway?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... _i=desktop
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

ribbons69 wrote:[ Why is this on Pledge anyway?
Maybe The Sisters are trying it out before the inevitable ......new album

:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity