swan song for sisters bootlegs on discogs marketplace?

Have you established a good reputation at HL and got some Sisters stuff to sell or trade with the community? Or are you searching for that elusive ultra rare live bootleg from 1988? Ever had a bad experience with a trader on Ebay? Let us all know here. Outdated threads will be purged over time.

Warning: Newcomers posting here first will be treated like spammers. At least have the courtesy to say hello in General Chat first...
Elon
Road Kill

looks like a lot of sisters bootlegs are being banned from the marketplace, including pretty much all the TMQs, Live At Melkway, fake FALAA EMI promo... and some newer stuff like the output of the Made For Fans Not For Money label

also getting warnings from several sellers that the ban might/will extend to everything unofficial, as more titles get axed every day

banned items have the info about who own them also removed so it will be harder to trade or do private transactions as well
Pista
Cureboi

Oooh.
Are they giving any reason for the ban?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Elon
Road Kill

Pista wrote:Oooh.
they are giving no reason but i would assume Discogs is getting cease and desist letters
this ban seems to concern many bands, not just SOM so looks like the RIAA is at work again
Pista
Cureboi

I can't see any references to bans there.
Is it in one of the forums?
Got any links?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Elon
Road Kill

Pista wrote:I can't see any references to bans there.
Got any links?
check this as an example:

https://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Merc ... se/4486812

if you look at where the marketplace info is usually displayed, you will see this message:

"This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs."

as for justifying the ban, it seems that 1) Discogs is free to decide what can be sold or not sold on the marketplace and apparently never provides any explanation for bans... from what i could gather on the forums

and 2) bootlegs being illegal in the first place, it would make sense that this is the reason why they are banning them... maybe some lawyers got too insistent or something to that effect...
Pista
Cureboi

Oh crumbs!
I wonder when evilbay will start pulling stuff?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Pista wrote:Oh crumbs!
i can't see that happening. ebay doesn't care too much about where it's profits come from.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Pista wrote:Oh crumbs!
i can't see that happening. ebay doesn't care too much about where it's profits come from.
That's very true. But I wonder if it depends how heavy duty the lawyers are that lean on them?
Google don't really care either, but they pull UMG & Warner content fairly regularly from yoochoob
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Elon wrote:
Pista wrote:Oooh.
they are giving no reason but i would assume Discogs is getting cease and desist letters
this ban seems to concern many bands, not just SOM so looks like the RIAA is at work again
The ban obviously goes against certain bootleg labels ... all of their produce is banned from the marketplace. Good for those who offer alternatives, like east/west ... :? ...
I don't believe the RIAA behind that. Should be interesting to see this proceed, though. Who gets banned and who not ...
Elon
Road Kill

this is indeed targeting labels

All TMQ are banned except for Adult Movies because the label name was not hot-linked so this one escaped the ban bot somehow

today the ban extended to Shelter Records so
I Can't Await My Deadly Friends 1st and 2nd edition are now banned as well

The 3rd edition is still open for sale, being a different label....

i would say now might be a time to buy if anybody's been delaying some purchases as it seems every day new labels are being banned
robertzombie
Overbomber

Elon wrote:and some newer stuff like the output of the Made For Fans Not For Money label
Good! POS label!
Pista
Cureboi

There's a thread on their forum (you might need to log on to read it)

Message given is simply
The following item has been removed from the Marketplace based on one or more of the following criteria:

Copyright infringement or related issue.
Item is in violation of our Offensive Marketplace Item and Inventory policy.
Discogs staff has blocked the item at their discretion, per the Terms of Service.
Item ID: #######
Price: $XYZ
Release:
For confidentiality reasons, we are not able to provide further details. This item will remain blocked from Discogs indefinitely.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Elon wrote:this is indeed targeting labels

All TMQ are banned except for Adult Movies because the label name was not hot-linked so this one escaped the ban bot somehow

i would say now might be a time to buy if anybody's been delaying some purchases as it seems every day new labels are being banned
There is a large discussion there under the forum link that Pista noted. Apparently, one can still contact owners of banned items some way or other ...
and banned items will not be deleted completely or from the lists (collection, wishlist and stuff), only from the marketplace... also, there is still eBay, who
- other than mentioned in that forum's discussion - do not at all care anymore about bootlegs, see all the Greek Sisters items ...
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Elon wrote:this is indeed targeting labels

There is a large discussion there under the forum link that Pista noted. Apparently, one can still contact owners of banned items some way or other ...
and banned items will not be deleted completely or from the lists (collection, wishlist and stuff), only from the marketplace... also, there is still eBay, who
- other than mentioned in that forum's discussion - do not at all care anymore about bootlegs, see all the Greek Sisters items ...
I had a bootleg cassette pulled from sale a few years ago on ebay. I forget the exact band but it was a Thai or Korean pressing of some obscure Metal band. Not a live bootleg rather a pressing of an album.
The reason I was given from ebay was that there had been a complaint from someone.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

There's clearly been cease & desist instructions from somewhere. More labels are being struck off each day. I checked The Cure listings too & they're getting purged also.
What I see from the thread there is that people are re-listing bootlegs under alternative labels in the hope they can evade the ban & still sell them.
That'll serve only to fcuk up the database accuracy really.
What is quite amusing about this whole thing is that people flogging bootlegs there are getting bombarded with emails from discogs informing them of the removal from the marketplace for each item. Even if it was listed some time ago & already sold. :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Elon
Road Kill

and now the swinging' pig has been slaughtered as well on discogs, no more Floorshow LP and Live in Amsterdam...

concurrently i have been told that eBay bootleg sellers are receiving warning from the platform to cease and desist or else...

wonder what will be the impact of this on market prices, will they go up because its getting even harder to find some items, or will the prices go down because sellers will end up with a lot more stock than they are comfortable with?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

People will just have to work harder. Make a few contacts, buy and swap stuff. Get lucky in the pub. Visit the right charity shops.

All the stuff we used to do
Goths have feelings too
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Elon wrote:
Pista wrote:I can't see any references to bans there.
Got any links?
check this as an example:

https://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Merc ... se/4486812

if you look at where the marketplace info is usually displayed, you will see this message:

"This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs."

as for justifying the ban, it seems that 1) Discogs is free to decide what can be sold or not sold on the marketplace and apparently never provides any explanation for bans... from what i could gather on the forums

and 2) bootlegs being illegal in the first place, it would make sense that this is the reason why they are banning them... maybe some lawyers got too insistent or something to that effect...
There's some irony here.. For many years the flag on ebay instead of saying BOOTLEG was NOT TMOQ or NOT TAKRL.

I suspect its the TMOQ flag that is scooping up everything.

Found many many items that way by searching and it continues to this day..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... q&_sacat=0

Flagg
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ooh, I got slapped on the wrist for having the Floorshow cd in my wee little list of doubles I'm selling on discos... I guess Swinging' Pig got blacklisted.
Even for 12€ I couldn't get it sold after a very long time.

What I don't like is bootlegs of official records. They lack in quality most of the times and both artist and listener get screwed. Bootlegs of stuff that doesn't exist otherwise I have no beef with. Too bad Discogs is becoming a no go zone for these kind of records. Back the old school trades/swaps/record fairs/etc...
in dub we trust
Elon
Road Kill

new wave of bans:

TWISTED RECORDS

STRANGER (2xLP)
THE QUALITY OF MERCY (2xLP)

FUNN LABEL

SINS & SECRETS (7�)
THE SHUTTERED ROOM (7�)
WEIRD TALES (7�)
GHOST RIDER (7�)
THE BLACK HORIZON (7�)
TRIPLE PACK (7�)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Elon wrote:new wave of bans:

TWISTED RECORDS

STRANGER (2xLP)
THE QUALITY OF MERCY (2xLP)

FUNN LABEL

SINS & SECRETS (7�)
THE SHUTTERED ROOM (7�)
WEIRD TALES (7�)
GHOST RIDER (7�)
THE BLACK HORIZON (7�)
TRIPLE PACK (7�)
Terrible ... :( ... They seem to concentrate on vinyls at the moment ... a big job, anyway...
One good thing, however, is your hint to the 7" TRIPLE PACK, listed without much info
under "A Three Record Set" in the SistersWiki and in the Ultimatesistersguide so far ... :wink: ...
a long-time gap resolved ...
Elon
Road Kill

more bans:

The Dancer's Reward
We're All Aware Of That
Time To Cry
No Time To Cry (Bootleg)
Pista
Cureboi

It looks like discogs has issued a statement on this.
Pretty sure all unofficial releases will soon be off the marketplace.
Let's just hope that users there don't deliberately fcuk up the database in an effort to make a few quid flogging bootlegs
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I guess this doesn't stop users selling them via pages of legitimate releases and just writing in the comment that they have bootlegs or that they're actually selling a bootleg instead of the release. Which would f**k up the database of course...
Burning 'cross the breeze.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Contrary to moving away from having bootlegs traded on their platform, discogs are now running a so-called S.P.IN September Pledge Initiative to save as many releases as ever possible from oblivion ...

https://www.discogs.com/stats/drive?utm ... g_update=1