Paint My Name In Black and Gold: The Next Phase

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Marukomu
Road Kill

Thanks for the tip. Will check it out. Am currently enjoying the book and discovering all sorts of things.
headcleaner2k
Road Kill

Waiting For Another E-Book
Esoterica
Road Kill

The most important thing is NOT to let anyone at the publisher change the text of said possible e-book! This is where being a bit of a Luddite isn’t all that bad.
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Just read this over the hols. What an amazingly well crafted book. Well researched and well written.

Sorry if I missed an answer somewhere else, but are there plans for volume II?

Cheers, Tony
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

tristren wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 19:18 Just read this over the hols. What an amazingly well crafted book. Well researched and well written.

Cheers, Tony
Hi Tony,
Mark Andrews said he didn’t plan to write another book. But if you’ve not read „waiting for another war“ you will surely find that equally well crafted and well written. And Trevor is actually planning or indeed already writing volume two. ;D
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Icon wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:16
tristren wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 19:18 Just read this over the hols. What an amazingly well crafted book. Well researched and well written.

Cheers, Tony
Hi Tony,
Mark Andrews said he didn’t plan to write another book. But if you’ve not read „waiting for another war“ you will surely find that equally well crafted and well written. And Trevor is actually planning or indeed already writing volume two. ;D
No plans from me to write a sequel. I like to work from fresh interviews and I'm not sure that would serve the 1987-on period nearly as well as the years covered in Paint My Name. I think Trev's approach would work better for him ie. secondary sources supplemented with some choice new interviews. So I'm looking forward to what he comes up with. And having just witnessed the last tour (Esch-sur-Alzette, Würzburg, Stuttgart and Newcastle) I think we are living through one of the most fascinating eras of the band. There's not one of the new songs that are now played regularly that I would bump for anything from the pre-2019 period. As much as I love Floorshow, The Reptile House, Heartland, NW9 and SKOS, I don't want to hear this band play them. So if I wanted to write something further about The Sisters, I'd want to focus on the here and now. I'm very, very happy to say I saw Duncan Kilburn play with The Sisters - that was huge for me.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MAndrews wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 17:57 having just witnessed the last tour (Esch-sur-Alzette, Würzburg, Stuttgart and Newcastle) I think we are living through one of the most fascinating eras of the band. There's not one of the new songs that are now played regularly that I would bump for anything from the pre-2019 period.
I 100% agree - though I fear that losing Dylan might mean that era is now over, or at least running out of steam.

That said: what really annoys me about rock biographies is that they very rarely talk about a band on the way down. Forgive me for mentioning Genesis on this forum, but Mike Rutherford's autobiography (which more or less ends with the band at the peak of their success in 1986) is much less interesting than Phil Collins', which talks about how his harrowing descent into alcoholism after retirement. So I understand why you don't want to write it, but I would be very interesting to read a real account of the Sisters 1992-2019, during the period that "the wheels started to fall off" the Big Machine. I'm sure Brühn, Bricheno, Boyd Steemson, that Sputnik guy, the people who were involved with _UTR_ and _glasperlenspiel_, and Chris Catalyst would have fascinating stories to tell. Such a pity that Sheehan is deceased and Pearson is now a wannabe cult leader who thinks he's discovered the cheat code to all human existence. Maybe Varjak is still around somewhere, check the teapot.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

H. Blackrose wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 04:15
MAndrews wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 17:57 having just witnessed the last tour (Esch-sur-Alzette, Würzburg, Stuttgart and Newcastle) I think we are living through one of the most fascinating eras of the band. There's not one of the new songs that are now played regularly that I would bump for anything from the pre-2019 period.
I 100% agree - though I fear that losing Dylan might mean that era is now over, or at least running out of steam.

That said: what really annoys me about rock biographies is that they very rarely talk about a band on the way down. Forgive me for mentioning Genesis on this forum, but Mike Rutherford's autobiography (which more or less ends with the band at the peak of their success in 1986) is much less interesting than Phil Collins', which talks about how his harrowing descent into alcoholism after retirement. So I understand why you don't want to write it, but I would be very interesting to read a real account of the Sisters 1992-2019, during the period that "the wheels started to fall off" the Big Machine. I'm sure Brühn, Bricheno, Boyd Steemson, that Sputnik guy, the people who were involved with _UTR_ and _glasperlenspiel_, and Chris Catalyst would have fascinating stories to tell. Such a pity that Sheehan is deceased and Pearson is now a wannabe cult leader who thinks he's discovered the cheat code to all human existence. Maybe Varjak is still around somewhere, check the teapot.
Sorry, I really don’t see the era you mentioned as a decline, such as in losing followers despite one’s best efforts, at least from the point of view of Andrew. I think he simply stopped caring that much about music and spent his life elsewhere.
I don’t think there’s a story about what „really happened in the years 1992 -2019“. Unless you’re interested in detailed accounts of him reading lots of books and doing stuff on his computer. Or travelling the world probably.

Some of the people you mention have had a falling out with Von. But Andreas Bruhn speaks very highly of Von. With Chris Catalyst he is still friends, just like Tony James. You can find all that in recent interviews of those people. And Tim Brichino simply wanted to go in a different musical direction. I’m afraid there’s no scandal there.

And I don’t think his working with one person or another defines his creativity. As an impulse that got the ball rolling Dylan was a very relevant factor I think. But at this point I don’t see them losing momentum or any such thing. From the amount of touring that happens, I think he’s really enjoying it again. To me that reads like we can expect more to come. Perhaps I‘m ever the optimist - but that’s what I think.
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Icon wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 18:31 Sorry, I really don’t see the era you mentioned as a decline, such as in losing followers despite one’s best efforts, at least from the point of view of Andrew. I think he simply stopped caring that much about music and spent his life elsewhere.
With respect - though I'm sure Von is sincerely content with his life and where he ended up - this has the vibe of someone falling down a flight of stairs and saying "I meant to do that".

Be aware that I'm not "looking for scandal", and I know that most of the people who were involved with the Sisters over those years have no personal beef with Von. What I'm interested in is the internal dynamics of the big machine as its appeal "became more selective" (to use a reference that I know Eldritch would agree with). If you read the old interviews in UTR Eldritch keeps talking about how the last thing he wants is to be a cult act, that TSOM deserves to be as big as Depeche Mode or even Nirvana. Perhaps other people are not interested in what it's like inside an organisation whose "appeal is becoming more selective", all I can say is - it's relevant to my interests.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

MAndrews wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 17:57
Icon wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:16

Cheers, Tony
Hi Tony,
No plans from me to write a sequel. I like to work from fresh interviews and I'm not sure that would serve the 1987-on period nearly as well as the years covered in Paint My Name. I think Trev's approach would work better for him ie. secondary sources supplemented with some choice new interviews. So I'm looking forward to what he comes up with. And having just witnessed the last tour (Esch-sur-Alzette, Würzburg, Stuttgart and Newcastle) I think we are living through one of the most fascinating eras of the band. There's not one of the new songs that are now played regularly that I would bump for anything from the pre-2019 period. As much as I love Floorshow, The Reptile House, Heartland, NW9 and SKOS, I don't want to hear this band play them. So if I wanted to write something further about The Sisters, I'd want to focus on the here and now. I'm very, very happy to say I saw Duncan Kilburn play with The Sisters - that was huge for me.
Just read your book over the holidays Mark. Was a terrific read, thank you so much for putting it together. I've also read the other book mentioned here, both are great in their own ways.

It would be great to have a book covering 1987 - 1993.
Smokeandsteam
Road Kill

[/quote]
[/quote]

That's a pity Mark. 'Paint My Name' is one of the finest 'band history' books I've read. It's impeccably researched, brilliantly written and both comprehensive and authoritative. I do however take your point that without fresh interviews - with one obvious person in particular - that the post 85 period doesn't readily lend itself to your method of working.

What is clear however is that there has been a wider surge in interest in the band (relatively speaking) following the publication of your book and TR's. In the vein, and given your comments about the current iteration of the band (and your preference for the here and now) and given that next year is the 40th anniversary of FALAA is there any chance at all that the person is question might sit down with you and really talk? I appreciate that the likely answer is 'how long is a piece of string' but we can but hope....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

@MAndrews dont be such a wuss Mark! you and Eldritch have quite a good rapport considering he views music journalists as slightly less evolved than plankton. :D just offer him a one-off exclusive opportunity to tell the tale of the Flood.
should he revert to type and ignore you there are:

Patricia Mprrison
Boyd Steemison
James Ray
Wayne
all the Sisterhood/m*****n crew & all the Sisters now mish road-crew. literally SOME people who you could interview. The second volume is called "We Forgive As We Forget" BTW although i would cal it "Forty Thousand Five Hundred And Fifty Pounds Per Square Inch"":von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: