How do you modify drum machines like The Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

This has been on my mind recently, how the heck did Andrew modify the Doktor to sound so mean especially on Floodland, more specifically on Neverland (A Fragment)? It sounds like a whopping thunderous drum beat that is ready to kick your ass anytime you hear it! Has any of the fans here tried to create something similar drum-machine-wise, if so post your results for the sake of it! Help the Doktor rise and reverberate again!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/tech/doktors.htm is probably a good place to start:
By the time 'Floodland' was recorded, we had an Akai S900 sampler. Like manna from heaven. Most of the drums on 'Floodland' came via the Akai.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

I recall a now extremely old posting on here that had a link to playing an Oberheim online at your leisure....
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
sultan2075
Overbomber

Floodland, at least, sometimes has boatloads of reverb applied to the drums. Sometimes I think hear a bit of delay as well (ie, the Bonham-esque drums on Never Land).

Also, many drum machines allow the user to tweak pitch, decay, etc. on the samples.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
AmericanDream
Road Kill

I think the drums on Floodland are using gated reverb, a specific type of reverb that was really popular in the 80's (it's the effect Prince used to make his Linn LM1 sound so bombastic). There are also other effects placed on the drums at different times. John Ashton says here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuQm27kgheQ that when producing Alice they plugged the drum machine they had (I think it was either an 808 or a 909) into an amplifier and recorded it with a mic to make it sound like it did, so perhaps Andrew used the same method on Floodland?
majorsixth
Road Kill

markfiend wrote:http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/tech/doktors.htm is probably a good place to start:
By the time 'Floodland' was recorded, we had an Akai S900 sampler. Like manna from heaven. Most of the drums on 'Floodland' came via the Akai.
And it goes on to say he used the Akai to sample the kick and snare from a Yamaha RX5, the sounds of which you can find around the internet. For example: http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/rx5/rx5.htm
demolitionsisters wrote:This has been on my mind recently, how the heck did Andrew modify the Doktor to sound so mean especially on Floodland, more specifically on Neverland (A Fragment)?
Play around with equalization and distortion, and delay and reverb like mentioned above, and bass drum #2 and snare #1 above should begin to sound VERY familiar.

I think an actual RX5 has EQ built in but software like Reaper or Audacity, downloadable for free, can do the job as well. If you're fairly tonedeaf as expected (or required?) of a Sisters fan, I noticed in trying this that it can be helpful to try to match the frequency spectrums visually instead of by ear. :lol: I could post directions for my own attempt at the Never Land sound if I get it a bit more faithful, but some distortion and top end EQ seem to bring the RX5 samples pretty close already.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello majorsixth & welcome to myheartland :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
djmemewinter
Road Kill

The Akai samplers also add their own character (low bit rate, etc). There's a plugin that tries to model the sound here https://www.mathieudemange.fr/rx950-cla ... converter/
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

not Floodland, FALAA-era-related, I found this vid in youtube about a modified oberheim DMX drum machine ala sisters' style, click here people ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIKOAsfz6Sk
dora
Road Kill

demolitionsisters wrote:This has been on my mind recently, how the heck did Andrew modify the Doktor to sound so mean especially on Floodland, more specifically on Neverland (A Fragment)? It sounds like a whopping thunderous drum beat that is ready to kick your ass anytime you hear it! Has any of the fans here tried to create something similar drum-machine-wise, if so post your results for the sake of it! Help the Doktor rise and reverberate again!
maybe not the same as dr Avalanche but close to orginal and a lot of fun Especially in quarantine time :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_IbizAOlPI

Our main stuff is Yamaha RX5 via MAGIX software, synth BASS from MAGIX with a lot of DISTORTION (really awuf :/). All paths in MAGIX with a lot effects like EQ, reverb (in snare 3 different reverbs) delay, copression, Gate
no country for old men
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

the official site articlen pretty much covers the tweakling up to the PC era. DMX's inititially had no individual sound of their own, utilising as they did pre-chipped 80, 909 etc sounds.
ive owned all of those apart from the DMX at one time or another. 808 was the best.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
replaceablehead
Road Kill

Sorry to grave dig, but I have to add some more information for anybody looking. Floodlands is an RX5 snare sampled through an AKAI as mentioned. The snare was then put through a Yamaha SPX90 and a Drawmer DS201 gate. That will get you close, but I think it needs to go into a compressor like a DBX or something at the end of the chain.

Oh and one last thing, the DMX had it's own original samples and they're some of the best ever made.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @replaceablehead & welcome to :hl:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

what would then be the approach for the the bass drum, almost sounding as having a snare added, on the 85 live circuit, like at the beginning of FALAA from Newcastle/disguised in black? thats one of the most reverberating sounds. thanks
love is just a shot away
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

jost 7 wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 07:33 what would then be the approach for the the bass drum, almost sounding as having a snare added, on the 85 live circuit, like at the beginning of FALAA from Newcastle/disguised in black? thats one of the most reverberating sounds. thanks
It's just a snare on the same beat as the kicks, at least in that era (84-85);
on the modern version, it's a tambourine sample.
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thanks husek, but practically with DMX sounds which i guess it were. any idea?
love is just a shot away
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

jost 7 wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 20:23 thanks husek, but practically with DMX sounds which i guess it were. any idea?
Well imho, the DMX part is the easy part, there's a whole chain of fxs and EQ though, that makes it a little bit harder to replicate.

for the intro itself, I like the results better when I combined a Kick + a Tom (with custom pitch);

Also the kick/hh have a custom pitch/mixing, here's mine:

I didn't have the time to explore it a lot, but I found the results acceptable, though they sound more like the royal albert hall version than disguised in black:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thanks again Gabriel. just loaded the Reverb sample set and will have some fun with it
love is just a shot away
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

finally a DMX-kit is set up and running in groove agent. nice
love is just a shot away
mik
Chameleons Guru

Most of the sound modification is done outside of the drum machine, which is why the live sound can sound a lot 'thinner'.
Move to the DMX allowed line outputs at 'pad' rather than (stereo) 'kit' level so you can apply different gating and effects to e.g snare / kick / hi-hat.
Not easily reproducible without a big old recording studio desk
Something pithy.