A disappointed fan

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Fluxia
Road Kill

Very disappointed after seeing their gig at Camden Roundhouse on Friday the 20th. The volume was very low (we could talk to each other as you are not normally able to do during a concert) and the sound very muffled.
A friend told me that Camden Council requires the Roundhouse to limit the loudness (I don't know if this is true), but the guest band sounded all right to me. Certainly much better than the Sisters.
I must say that the sounds itself of the Sisters nowadays is not the one that got me hooked to them. I am not just talking about the early sound, I think the departure of Adam Pearson has been problematic for me to digest. I used to like that crunchy guitar sound that used to cut through and hit you in the face.
Also I am not sure Andrew would be able to sing songs like Logic the way he used to.
Pista
Cureboi

I guess you're in the minority then.

Welcome to Heartland btw :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Each to their own. I think most of us have felt a bit let down with recent tours as the shows were all a bit samey. I had to persuade myself to take the journey south this year but ended up being glad I did. There is a new lease of life in the band and it makes a change not seeing them as their own tribute act. Hopefully northern gigs next time please.

La Huss next in Manca
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
robm
Amphetamine Filth

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed.

I stand by the speaker stack at shows. This has three advantages:

1. It's loud enough.
2. You avoid the mosh pit unless you don't want to.
3. You get to watch the guitarist of your choice.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I haven't seen them on this tour but in the past I too have been slightly shocked at how quiet the shows are. I routinely listen to music at home much louder, and to be honest associate crunchy guitar with volume.

I remember reading something at some point where Eldritch said he prefers to sing quietly and so the sound level is pegged off his mic volume. Don't know if it's true or not. Maybe his hearing is shot - I spent a few years DJing and my hearing is shot as a result. I don't think rockstars in the early 1980s were wearing ear plugs - I'd say the reason the volume is low is because his hearing is f**ked and he's trying to preserve what he's got while still being able to play.

If that's the case, that's fair enough. We still get some great shows and presumably it's that or not play at all. If it is the case, he's not likely to come out and announce it though, is he?
“I don't want people to come and see our gig because of the magnificent things I'm doing with my hips, but it's their evening, you know. They have to have fun. I'm a little bit naive."
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am pretty much sure that limit required for music is around 100dB Peak. which is quite low, atleast, here in Sweden you can get severe penalty if you don abide that law. And as Sweden is a part of EU, that s**t probably comes from there. I know one band that never abode forementioned law, Guess what band ? :D :D Quite easy to guess..... MOTÖRHEAD... I know atleast at one festival Lemmy said.. I can't hear myself, let's fix it and he went over to the mixerboard and cranked everything up to max :lol: :lol:
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
tooyoung
Road Kill

I've always been a fan of the quieter sound. You can go home without your ears ringing, or you don't have to muffle the sound with plugs. End result is a much better sounding concert.
Mary Bell, we knew you well...
Rise891
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I rather enjoyed Friday. Saturday was mind altering good. But I have been seeing them regularly over the last 20 years. I have watched them become an above average rock and roll band.
I am NOT in the cool club
majorsixth
Road Kill

People reporting from the Roundhouse seemed to agree the mix was clearer and overall louder the 2nd night.

Personally even their quieter level works alright on nights when they've got the mix really dialed in, on bootlegs sometimes the guitars and vocals do get lost under a monotone Doktor thudding away. May be due to a lucky selection of shows but I've had few complaints about sound the nights I did attend.
Todashi wrote:I remember reading something at some point where Eldritch said he prefers to sing quietly and so the sound level is pegged off his mic volume. Don't know if it's true or not.
The explanation seems to make sense cause feedback through Von's mic is audibly a problem some nights, like they're balancing the levels at the edge of feeding back.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

1) get pissed to dull the pain
2) locate in the moshpit and prepare to be pummelled by some twit in orange
3) cry about bruising picked up in moshpit
4) repeat
Goths have feelings too
ruffers
Overbomber

Roundhouse is a bit weird, you can move a few feet and the sound changes dramatically.

Personally I thought the sound was good, but if anyone wants to talk quiet feel free to set me off on the Astoria 2006 show.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

For what it's worth, I saw Swans at the Roundhouse a few years ago and it was the loudest thing I have ever heard. So the sound limit thing is bollocks.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

I was at both nights.

You're absolutely right, the sound on Friday was quite poor, up until Susanne from which it was hugely improved. From talking to others I understand this was technical problems outside the bands control.

Saturday was a night and day difference. It was clear, it was loud, it was crunchy. Von's voice was good.

It's unfortunate that you got the sucky night, but it's not a general indicator of how the band are sounding this year. I know that's probably scant consolation, but it is what it is. You got an off night, but the general trajectory is hugely improved.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:For what it's worth, I saw Swans at the Roundhouse a few years ago and it was the loudest thing I have ever heard. So the sound limit thing is bollocks.
No surprise. I've seen Swans twice, and while the first time was loud, the second time literally vibrated my bones in what I can only describe as a very, very uncomfortable way. But they're also an entirely different beast from the Sisters.

I've also got to say, I'm quite envious of y'all. Based on the videos I've been watching, this is easily the best 21st century incarnation of the band (I saw them in Philly back in 1997, two absolutely glorious should-have-been-released-as-a-double-live-album shows in San Francisco back in 1998, NYC 1999, and Dallas 2006). They've not sounded this good in ages.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ruffers
Overbomber

True, they are sounnding great.

And like they're having fun.

I just reread a thread from 2006 re a particularly bad show and what came through was they (he) were just going through the motions, no genuine input, no passion.
Hopefully not going too far over the top but this year feels different, even from last time. Von even looks healthier, he's singing properly.. ish, the band are tight.

These are (new) good times.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Drsisters

markfiend wrote:For what it's worth, I saw Swans at the Roundhouse a few years ago and it was the loudest thing I have ever heard. So the sound limit thing is bollocks.
You are right about UK. Interesting read here, for inquiring minds ;)

http://www.live-dma.eu/wp-content/uploa ... ingdom.pdf

This is how the s**t works over here :(

http://www.live-dma.eu/wp-content/uploa ... Sweden.pdf
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
Fluxia
Road Kill

mh wrote:I was at both nights.

You're absolutely right, the sound on Friday was quite poor, up until Susanne from which it was hugely improved. From talking to others I understand this was technical problems outside the bands control.

Saturday was a night and day difference. It was clear, it was loud, it was crunchy. Von's voice was good.
Thanks for that, at least it give me some hopes for future gigs.
I am also not a fan of loudness - after seeing "Jesus and Mary Chain" my ears were buzzing for one day... - but a rock concert has got to be a bit louder than the Friday's show.

In regard to the fact that Andrew may want the volume low so that he can keep his mic louder, this is something that I was wandering about during the show...

Not sure why they always chose the roundhouse. They have been playing there for a few years now when they play in London. Not a great venue in my opinion.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: I've also got to say, I'm quite envious of y'all. Based on the videos I've been watching, this is easily the best 21st century incarnation of the band
Sorry for off-topic, but a Saturday night in Mexico City sounds quite doable for Americans? :innocent: Thanks in advance for any reviews :wink:
sultan2075
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
sultan2075 wrote: I've also got to say, I'm quite envious of y'all. Based on the videos I've been watching, this is easily the best 21st century incarnation of the band
Sorry for off-topic, but a Saturday night in Mexico City sounds quite doable for Americans? :innocent: Thanks in advance for any reviews :wink:
I wish I could - I'd already committed to another show here in DC with some out-of-town friends. So I will have to live vicariously through the generosity of you fine folks :notworthy:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: I wish I could - I'd already committed to another show here in DC with some out-of-town friends. So I will have to live vicariously through the generosity of you fine folks :notworthy:
"Change of plans, guys, we'll meet up at the airport, bring your passports" ;D

No but if the old man suddenly decides to play several new songs, they might as well do an NA tour soon, who knows :bat:
sultan2075
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
sultan2075 wrote: I wish I could - I'd already committed to another show here in DC with some out-of-town friends. So I will have to live vicariously through the generosity of you fine folks :notworthy:
"Change of plans, guys, we'll meet up at the airport, bring your passports" ;D

No but if the old man suddenly decides to play several new songs, they might as well do an NA tour soon, who knows :bat:
That's what I'm hoping - and they'll surely play somewhere within a short train trip if they don't play DC (can't imagine they wouldn't play DC or Baltimore). I know Ben said he'd like to come to the US on one of his social media accounts.
--
mugabe

Drsisters wrote:This is how the s**t works over here :(

http://www.live-dma.eu/wp-content/uploa ... Sweden.pdf
I’ve had my sorry eardrums shattered by the likes of Motorhead and Swans in the past, but as of lately it’s a joke. If you attend a show on a weekend, with the usual party-revellers present, the band on stage are merely background music. I’ve recently attended a black metal festival, and a Sleaford Mods concert, both of which were rendered pointless by the inane chatter of bystanders.

Will not go to the upcoming shows by SUNN O))), and Sleep, since there is simply no point. Tool might be worthwile, at least if tickets are expensive enough. Woe.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost