Heartland Forum Index
       FAQ      Rules      Search      Paypal Donation      Photo Gallery      Sisters Wiki   
   Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · View New Posts · Usergroups · Memberlist · Statistics  
   Follow us on   Twitter    Facebook · Log in  
So . . . is it time to talk about that New Album again?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Todashi
Road Kill


Joined: 21 Jun 2019
Posts: 52

PostPost #1  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: So . . . is it time to talk about that New Album again? Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously, any discussion about a new sisters album is a total cliche, and up until last week everything that could have been said about it had been said - Mr Eldritch obviously had no interest.

In fact, up until the new tracks were premiered, it had been a long time since there was any spark of creativity in the band. So here's a question - does the fact that they've written and performed new music make it more or less likely that they will record that music? A new album made up of all the unreleased tracks would actually be a coherent and self contained record, with b-sides and curios.

On one hand, playing new tracks shows creativity and an interest in driving things forward. There's a new member, and things seem good. Even the song refrain to Better Reptile - Shed Your Skin - implies a willingness to just draw a line under the past and live a more fulfilling present and future. A new album could be listed on Spotify and Apple Music, and while the band would see f**k all royalties from that, those tracks could be playlisted and shared around by people, creating a new audience and driving gig attendance.

On the other, the moment when the Sisters would attract a lot of attention for a new record is passed. The Sisters have been a touring act only for 30 years and Eldritch's implied argument that he doesn't need to record anything so why should he still stands. Also, performing new tracks makes a lot less impact than simply announcing a record with unheard music on it and then using that as a hook to attract people to contribute to a crowdfunded album etc.

Thoughts? Could you see a new sisters record in, say, 2020? Could they? Should they?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
czuczu
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1814
Location: UK

PostPost #2  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apart from tour rehearsals and soundchecks, I'd be amazed if they've ever had a run through of any unreleased stuff with vocals - never mind recording it.
_________________
@stuczu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #3  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Being645
Above the Chemist


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 12505
Location: depleted ... reconstruction status: failed

PostPost #4  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #5  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.


Vision Thing without Ribbons. Imagine that, if you will.

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Being645
Above the Chemist


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 12505
Location: depleted ... reconstruction status: failed

PostPost #6  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.


Vision Thing without Ribbons. Imagine that, if you will.

Laughing


Laughing ... Or Floodland without Never Land... Very Happy ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #7  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Three albums in and that 'joke' is finished and done now haha. Maybe it's as well they've only knocked three out. Sorry Todashi you can have yer thread back.

I do recall reading a quote from Von along the lines of 'an album would increase gig ticket sales but we sell out so what's the point?'. So if you really want a new album, maybe the answer is for everyone to stop buying tickets for the next tour or two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Todashi
Road Kill


Joined: 21 Jun 2019
Posts: 52

PostPost #8  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the most compelling argument against recording an album is why bother? Here we are, discussing them, watching bootlegs and attending gigs, 27 years later.

I suppose a bigger question would be how long does Von want to continue working and gigging for? If he'd like to be playing gigs in ten years time, for example, then it would probably help to have new product out there.

I really like the sisters's back catalogue. But I'm bored silly of the same setlist that have been going on for the last ten years or more. They're really dragging the ass out of the released songs.

At this stage, I'd happily go see a gig that ONLY featured the new songs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
czuczu
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 1814
Location: UK

PostPost #9  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Todashi wrote:
Yes, the most compelling argument against recording an album is why bother? Here we are, discussing them, watching bootlegs and attending gigs, 27 years later.

I suppose a bigger question would be how long does Von want to continue working and gigging for? If he'd like to be playing gigs in ten years time, for example, then it would probably help to have new product out there.

I really like the sisters's back catalogue. But I'm bored silly of the same setlist that have been going on for the last ten years or more. They're really dragging the ass out of the released songs.

At this stage, I'd happily go see a gig that ONLY featured the new songs.


I know it's not in current spirit of bonhomie but adding new songs to the set means they're unlikely to keep reintroducing a golden oldie each tour. With all their words that need to be sung...
_________________
@stuczu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bartek
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 5867

PostPost #10  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If only new songs will be permanent part of setlist then it's good mark.

New album? Of course, hope dies last but, c'mon, get real. Laughing
_________________
Sie sehen mein Herz am rechten Fleck/Doch sehe ich dann nach unten weg/Da schlägt es links
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mh
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 7449
Location: A civilized European city

PostPost #11  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the other hand there seems no real reason not to either; it's 2019 and recording and releasing something is utterly trivial by comparison to how it was in 1985 or even in 1998. For sure they don't need to, but if it does take their fancy to do so, they can quite easily and freely do so without undue risk.
_________________
Trigonometry. It's a sin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abridged
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 08 Sep 2008
Posts: 1242
Location: Derry

PostPost #12  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.


Vision Thing without Ribbons. Imagine that, if you will.

Laughing


Laughing ... Or Floodland without Never Land... Very Happy ...


Think I'm the only person that isn't that keen on Never Land... Embarassed
_________________
The Chancer Corporation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #13  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

abridged wrote:
Think I'm the only person that isn't that keen on Never Land... Embarassed


May I be so bold as to suggest ...



(soz mods, please do make that picture a lot smaller, if you wish)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pista
Cureboi


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 13980
Location: Lost In A Forest

PostPost #14  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:

(soz mods, please do make that picture a lot smaller, if you wish)


Got it Wink
_________________
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days
TheCureCommunity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
abridged
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 08 Sep 2008
Posts: 1242
Location: Derry

PostPost #15  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:
abridged wrote:
Think I'm the only person that isn't that keen on Never Land... Embarassed


May I be so bold as to suggest ...



(soz mods, please do make that picture a lot smaller, if you wish)


Laughing Ah I know, I tried. And the lyrics are great but just something puts me off it. I am suitably ashamed. Wink
_________________
The Chancer Corporation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Being645
Above the Chemist


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 12505
Location: depleted ... reconstruction status: failed

PostPost #16  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

abridged wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.


Vision Thing without Ribbons. Imagine that, if you will.

Laughing


Laughing ... Or Floodland without Never Land... Very Happy ...


Think I'm the only person that isn't that keen on Never Land... Embarassed


Oh no, I think almost everybody else would have chosen any of the other songs ... Laughing ... and I also like them all.


Todashi wrote:

[...], I'd happily go see a gig that ONLY featured the new songs.


Oh yes, that would be nice ..... Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jan
Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 18 Jul 2002
Posts: 140
Location: in a corner of a foreign field

PostPost #17  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:
Three albums in and that 'joke' is finished and done now haha. Maybe it's as well they've only knocked three out. Sorry Todashi you can have yer thread back.

I do recall reading a quote from Von along the lines of 'an album would increase gig ticket sales but we sell out so what's the point?'. So if you really want a new album, maybe the answer is for everyone to stop buying tickets for the next tour or two.


To add something to it, AE is reluctant to put down "final" versions of songs, he said so somewhere end-2016... They don't need it.
_________________
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #18  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jan wrote:
To add something to it, AE is reluctant to put down "final" versions of songs, he said so somewhere end-2016... They don't need it.


Was that the interview when he was extolling the virtues of having so much fun with the technology that he was forever tinkering with the tunes? Rings a bell. Bottom line is, if a Sisters album appears in the shops, yaay, if not, ah well.

I've viewed the live shows for a while now as 'Dave Brock Needs A New Tractor', which was a quote from a review of the Manchester Apollo show in 1997, when indeed it did seem as though they were merely going through the motions, even with two new songs in the set. I've no expectation that these new new songs will ever see their names written on a master tape, all I know for sure is I'll be boinging around like a loony in London on Saturday, and many folk around the world will be doing the same between now and November. That's good enough for me. Beyond that, what will be will be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth


Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Posts: 645
Location: Zululand

PostPost #19  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't some record company have to stump up $3m and a contract before Von puts on his work clothes?
_________________
"Would someone please explain
The reason for this strange behaviour"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 25 Sep 2002
Posts: 1844
Location: Leeds

PostPost #20  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jan wrote:
To add something to it, AE is reluctant to put down "final" versions of songs, he said so somewhere end-2016... They don't need it.


It's understandable to not want to record a studio version immediately, as often when a band tours with a song it undergoes changes, often for the better... but... some of the unrecorded songs are approaching a quarter of a century old. If he hasn't got them down pat now he never will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilBastard
Overbomber


Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 3823
Location: Where the Ruined Tower shouts

PostPost #21  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Being645 wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
Could they? Technically yes. Should they? Dunno, it's Von's band, he's welcome to do wtf he likes with it. Long ago my thoughts of a new Sisters album faded into 'if they do, great, if they don't, hey ho'. And if they do, and War On Drugs isn't on it, it'll be s**t anyway Laughing Wink

... Laughing Laughing ... Yeah, that would be like FALAA without Logic.


Vision Thing without Ribbons. Imagine that, if you will.

Laughing


Laughing ... Or Floodland without Never Land... Very Happy ...


Or the single of More without the B-side... or a cuppa without a Bourbon to dunk in it.
_________________
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #22  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EvilBastard wrote:
Or the single of More without the B-side...


There's a B-side???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abridged
Slight Overbomber


Joined: 08 Sep 2008
Posts: 1242
Location: Derry

PostPost #23  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Planet Dave wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
Or the single of More without the B-side...


There's a B-side???


I could be (the) one of 'those' people that prefer the B-Side. Embarassed Wink
_________________
The Chancer Corporation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock


Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Posts: 5211
Location: The North.

PostPost #24  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

abridged wrote:
Planet Dave wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
Or the single of More without the B-side...


There's a B-side???


I could be (the) one of 'those' people that prefer the B-Side. Embarassed Wink


'Kin 'ell, we're gonna run out of big syringes soon Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm


Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 4470
Location: Newcastle

PostPost #25  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Save one for me then... Twisted Evil

I also heard there was a price ticket for a new album that's uncomfortably high for any record company, sending a pretty clear message I think.

The possibility of a new album crammed with the latest songs would be divine.

The likelihood is equally believable from an atheist's point of view.
_________________
VII Victim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Heartland Forum Index -> Sisters Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group  ·  Heartland supports phpBBHacks.com
Theme and Graphics by Quiff Boy, Tim Blackman and those nice people at ibplanet.com