NEW SONGS!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

One of the things that gives me most hope about the new songs is that - judging from all the youtube vids I've been watching - I think AE really likes the new songs. Is proud of them, even.

And he's with people who obviously enjoy playing them - and that seems to be rubbing off on him too?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Pista
Cureboi

MrChris wrote:One of the things that gives me most hope about the new songs is that - judging from all the youtube vids I've been watching - I think AE really likes the new songs. Is proud of them, even.

And he's with people who obviously enjoy playing them - and that seems to be rubbing off on him too?
I get that impression too.
I have the feeling he was reluctant to do new songs out of some sort of fear that they simply wouldn't be (in his mind) "good enough".
I think Von's at the point where he's taking that risk & saying, "If it works it works. If not, so be it."
Right now, even though there are some rough edges, it works &, to be honest, rough edges are what give songs character in a lot of cases.
I would still like to hear something more up tempo though. Say, Crash & Burn tempo. But what's coming through is great & a nice step back from the power chord chuggers that have gone before.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

MrChris wrote:One of the things that gives me most hope about the new songs is that - judging from all the youtube vids I've been watching - I think AE really likes the new songs. Is proud of them, even.

That's exactly how last night came across! Weird, like gigs by other bands I've seen down the years touring a new album, that they rightly all freaking love because it's brilliant, and is very apparent from the fun going on onstage. Fair enough when you're off to see Radiohead tour The Bends in the same venue, but from The Sisters? It's a new one on me. Love it.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:
That's exactly how last night came across! Weird, like gigs by other bands I've seen down the years touring a new album, that they rightly all freaking love because it's brilliant, and is very apparent from the fun going on onstage. Fair enough when you're off to see Radiohead tour The Bends in the same venue, but from The Sisters? It's a new one on me. Love it.
There's clearly a level of chemistry between the four current members that hasn't existed in decades. It's making for great gigs and new songs.
Long may it continue. :D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I must say that I really, really like the latest three new songs – they've all stuck in my head, and I've been listening to them every day since I was able to download them. That hasn't happened since Summer and Romeo Down, even though I've also enjoyed some of the other new songs to various degrees.

I think they are really great SoM songs, not least because they reintroduce more melodic guitar playing, in the vein of Marx, Hussey (and E himself, when he's in that mode), something which has been missing for a long time (Arms being a case in point).

I'm not saying it's needed for all songs, just that that approach really works well for these particular songs. If this general reinvigoration and reintroduction of a more melodic approach is due to Dylan, he's the best thing that has happened to the band in a very long time.

Now if they could only add a bass player! These songs would be even better with chugging, Craig Adams-type bass lines.

Either way, I'm enjoying new SoM material in a way I haven't for ages. More to come I hope (and a new album or set of singles)!
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Compilation video of new songs plus I Was Wrong from sisterstekland on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0asLvxQ5I

Features:
But Genevieve - Leeds 10/03/20
Show Me - London 20/09/19
Instrumental - Manchester 07/03/20
I Will Call You - Bristol 08/03/20
Better Reptile - Berlin 04/10/19
Kickline - Antwerp 16/09/19
I Was Wrong - Copenhagen 26/09/19
Black Sail - Bristol 08/03/20
Being645
Above the Chemist

Charlie wrote:Compilation video of new songs plus I Was Wrong from sisterstekland on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0asLvxQ5I

Features:
But Genevieve - Leeds 10/03/20
Show Me - London 20/09/19
Instrumental - Manchester 07/03/20
I Will Call You - Bristol 08/03/20
Better Reptile - Berlin 04/10/19
Kickline - Antwerp 16/09/19
I Was Wrong - Copenhagen 26/09/19
Black Sail - Bristol 08/03/20
Thank you for the link, Charlie ... and thanks to everyone involved, especially sisterstekland ... ;D ;D ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Thanks for all the vids everyone:)
For my money I Will Call You is the best Sisters song since Floodland and Show Me is the best since We Are The Same...
Black Flag and But Genevieve are also fantastic and I hope we haven't seen the back of Better Reptile
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
sisterstekland
Slight Overbomber

I just made this quick video, i Will credit all the vid later To Ingo & MrBlonde

police ask me To close the shop for the SILVER VIRUS and ask me To leave and To go home :roll:
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

sam donut wrote:Thanks for all the vids everyone:)
For my money I Will Call You is the best Sisters song since Floodland and Show Me is the best since We Are The Same...
Black Flag and But Genevieve are also fantastic and I hope we haven't seen the back of Better Reptile
Yeah, i'd like to hear Better Reptile again too and the mysterious Kickline!

Reading through facebook comments, someone asked Ben about Better Reptile saying they hoped it would make it back onto the setlist and he replied 'we improved it since then!' - read into that what you will! ;D
sultan2075
Overbomber

I haven’t wanted a new album this much since Crash & Burn debuted.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Charlie wrote:

Reading through facebook comments, someone asked Ben about Better Reptile saying they hoped it would make it back onto the setlist and he replied 'we improved it since then!' - read into that what you will! ;D
Ha! That's brill! I'd love to hear the new improved version.
Being645
Above the Chemist

sam donut wrote:
Charlie wrote:

Ha! That's brill! I'd love to hear the new improved version.
Fully seconded... ;D ... and now, as there's even more time for improvements and further developments, we might expect some great shows in September ... ;D ...
mugabe
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

New songs? Count me in!
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

NEW SONG LYRICS Confirmation! :eek:
:D :D :D :D :D

Black Sail and But Genevieve from the official website!:

BLACK SAIL (2020)

In the black between the stars
There is no captain till you do
We threw a line, we did not deep it
There were many, we are few

I keep my fireworks on the bridge
Hurl the crew from side to side
Unfurl the sail, the world is wide

Heave away, heave away boys
That's what you do
They were many, we are few

BUT GENEVIEVE (2020)

Genevieve, I think you're lovely
I made you cry, I made you mine
But Genevieve, it's time
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

Black Sail in my ears is a thank you, boys / appreciation of the band's current state. But I could be wrong.

Genevieve sounds... short.
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Swinnow
Overbomber

Did we get the 12" extended mix of Genevieve at the UK gigs, or has Yorkshire thrift resumed? :lol:

edit: my online Welsh correspondent has pulled me up for being "an inclusive hippy" and asks me to correct "UK gigs" to "English gigs". Apologies
Last edited by Swinnow on 24 Mar 2020, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Charlie wrote:NEW SONG LYRICS Confirmation! :eek:
:D :D :D :D :D

Black Sail and But Genevieve from the official website!:

BLACK SAIL (2020)

In the black between the stars
There is no captain till you do
We threw a line, we did not deep it

I keep my fireworks on the bridge
Hurl the crew from side to side
Unfurl the sail, the world is wide

That's what you do
They were many, we are few

BUT GENEVIEVE (2020)

I made you cry, I made you mine
But Genevieve, it's time
:eek: :notworthy: :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Black Sail has got to be a bunch of Star Trek/Wrath of Khan references, doesn't it?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

doctor_jeep wrote:Black Sail in my ears is a thank you, boys / appreciation of the band's current state. But I could be wrong.

Genevieve sounds... short.
I have the same thoughts.
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Do you think that the cancelled tour and the corona pandemic makes the possibility of future recordings/releases seem more likely or less likely?
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
mh
Above the Chemist

TheGoodSon wrote:Do you think that the cancelled tour and the corona pandemic makes the possibility of future recordings/releases seem more likely or less likely?
I'd say about equally as likely.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
doctor_jeep
Amphetamine Filth

what mh said
Clearly now the past mistakes
The giant steps we had to take
The path that ever promise made to
Die in dream dissolve and fade
Swinnow
Overbomber

Exactly brother mh
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

"SHOW ME (2020)

Show me isolation
Show me disintegration
Show me reality
Show me stupid on tv
Show me pop music
Barbie rock and roll
Show me in translation
Show me on the doll

We have love