COVID-19 coronavirus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Charlie wrote:And of course the scum spammers are all over it now. :roll: :evil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-5 ... ndTfHttl-Y

Yeah most people know about this sort of stuff now, but there are still vulnerable people out there that will fall victim. :(
W@nkers
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I (and almost all of the University staff) will be working from home after the end of today. It will be interesting to see whether our VPN will be able to cope.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

OK, guys, I'll be honest here. This stuff is starting to scare me. I'm not scared of getting sick, but I am scared of what society is going to look like in 3, 6, 12 months time if this thing goes the distance. If all goes well, if people self-isolate, if we practice social distancing, if if if, then maybe this thing will burn out sooner than people are suggesting, but there's a lot of ifs in there and based on some of the behaviour we're seeing this doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I can foresee extensive societal breakdown long before we turn the corner on this - mass unemployment, people having simply no money to live on, a real (and permanent) threat to civil liberty (some of the laws being proposed in the UK right now are the right answer to the current situation but there's absolutely no guarantee that they will be revoked once we get through this), potentially martial law to enforce restrictions on movement. No lie, but this shit scares the crap out of me.

Anyone else?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

EB.
I think we've already seen society break down to a large extent.
The true spirit of "looking after number one" is shining very brightly indeed.
At this rate people aren't just going to die from a pathogen. They're going to die because they cannot feed themselves or from being killed in a store over a carrot or something even more mundane.
It's not like that here in Hungary....yet.
Where I am life hasn't changed immensely but there is an air of dread over the town & the evenings are deathly quiet.
I learnt today that all the Budapest holiday home mob are coming down for the weekend as they think it's a safer bet than staying put, so fcuk knows what the coming weeks are going to be like once they've spent 2 days transmitting who knows what far & wide.
I have the same view as you. I couldn't give a crap if I catch it really. I'll probably recover, but the world is already so fundamentally broken that I wouldn't really miss it.
That's not to say I'm doing all I can to get infected. I'm not.
But if I do, so be it.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Same here, i'm actually really really worried, it's not even about the virus anymore, what state is the world gonna be left in after the fallout from all this.
And there's brexit still to come for the UK . . . :( :( :( :(
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

EvilBastard wrote:OK, guys, I'll be honest here. This stuff is starting to scare me. I'm not scared of getting sick, but I am scared of what society is going to look like in 3, 6, 12 months time if this thing goes the distance. If all goes well, if people self-isolate, if we practice social distancing, if if if, then maybe this thing will burn out sooner than people are suggesting, but there's a lot of ifs in there and based on some of the behaviour we're seeing this doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I can foresee extensive societal breakdown long before we turn the corner on this - mass unemployment, people having simply no money to live on, a real (and permanent) threat to civil liberty (some of the laws being proposed in the UK right now are the right answer to the current situation but there's absolutely no guarantee that they will be revoked once we get through this), potentially martial law to enforce restrictions on movement. No lie, but this shit scares the crap out of me.

Anyone else?
exactly this. from the very second they announced that you could be detained, without trial or evidence, on a the say so of a policeman, for being suspected off being infected.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Charlie wrote:what state is the world gonna be left in after the fallout from all this.
Yeah as Lee says, looking more like Mega City One every day. I'm a cynical old git but there's a funny smell of 'system reboot' about it all. By design or opportunism. I know I've never seen the word Draconian used on so many BBC articles at the same time, not in the same breath as 'emergency measures'.

:|
eastmidswhizzkid

and there go the pubs, cinemas, nightclubs, restaurants gyms and just about every social activity going. how long before total lockdown now then?

EvilBastard
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:and there go the pubs, cinemas, nightclubs, restaurants gyms and just about every social activity going. how long before total lockdown now then?
I'm honestly ok with a total lock down if people like Stanley Johnson refuse to heed the warnings and if it comes with an end date. That's the scary thing - new legislation is open-ended, no requirement that they're reviewed after n months. Thin end of a slippery wedge - without safeguards you can be closed down at any point, for any reason. Too many black people/gay people/left-wing people/St Pauli supporters? Right, mush - we're shutting you down.

At least if you have to close because the govt says so then you can claim on your insurance - that was the issue before, all these places would have gone bust. Many of them still will, but at least now there's a chance that they'll be able to bounce back. Tell you what, though - the day they say "ok, panic over - get back to your lives" there is going to be one mother of a pissup, we'll need the pubs open!
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
sandy666
Road Kill

I have CV-19. It's 4.30 in the morning and I can't sleep for coughing - so I am self medicating with Rittenhouse rye and listening to First & Last and Always hoping that one or the other will help me get some sleep.

All I can say is that - yes - the illness can be rather mild, but the symptoms are annoyingly persistent. It's been over a week now, and the cough won't go away. It'll probably be at least another week of this.
Pista
Cureboi

sandy666 wrote:I have CV-19. It's 4.30 in the morning and I can't sleep for coughing - so I am self medicating with Rittenhouse rye and listening to First & Last and Always hoping that one or the other will help me get some sleep.

All I can say is that - yes - the illness can be rather mild, but the symptoms are annoyingly persistent. It's been over a week now, and the cough won't go away. It'll probably be at least another week of this.
Oh man that sucks.
Hope you will ride it out okay
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
An
Amphetamine Filth

sandy666 wrote:I have CV-19. It's 4.30 in the morning and I can't sleep for coughing - so I am self medicating with Rittenhouse rye and listening to First & Last and Always hoping that one or the other will help me get some sleep.

Wish You a good recovery.
iesus
Overbomber

An wrote:

Wish You a good recovery.
+1 take care
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Tinker
Road Kill

Good luck, cockle.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh hell... :( ... Best wishes to you for a soon reocovery. Hopefully, there's not more to lose for you due to this illness.
And even if, the whole world won't be the same after this ... fingers crossed it won't hit you further ... :) ...
Last edited by Being645 on 21 Mar 2020, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I am sorry to hear that. Good luck with it!
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

wishing you fast recovery!

what's absolutely freaking me out right now that if anything happens to my parents and family I can't even get to them. scariest thing for me that I can't support if they fall ill and i might not see them again, i can't even think about this. let alone the long term overall effects. also having a really hard time that i have to be strong and support so many people at work while I can't get myself together and progress on items that are essential for me for my future. it is all too much right now. scary and I also wish they would lock down for a while yes with an end date but people need to f**king stay the f**k at home:(
eastmidswhizzkid

get well soon, we're thinking of you :kiss:

sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Get well soon, I wish you a quick recovery.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm feeling really guilty that I went to see my mum for Mothers' Day yesterday. She just wouldn't have understood if I'd refused to go.

She's being a lot more sensible than a lot of folk her age; she's not going out (neighbours are delivering her food and other essentials) and she made me sit more than two metres from her :lol:

I'm not particularly worried about catching covid-19. But I'm terrified that I might have brought the virus with me and infected my mum.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

markfiend wrote:I'm not particularly worried about catching covid-19.
Well that's not entirely true. I'm hoping like heck I don't get it
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

sandy666: good luck and best wishes.
Swinnow
Overbomber

#FreeFatBob
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Swinnow wrote: #FreeFatBob
But doesn't he have the cure? (reference internet meme that we've all seen 8000 times)