My favourite Sisters covers

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

it is a known fact that i fucking despise ALL covers of Sisters songs -yes even Lambchop. ESPECIALLY fucking Lambchop.
however i do raher like Nouvelle Vagues cover of Marian. for starts irs not trying to reproduce the song in any kind of darkling way
so this isnt my favourite TSOM cover. its th exception to this otherwise hard & fast rule. (for perspective my6 frriends band Grumble Grinder covered Lucretia aeons ago and it ended up as track 3 on a 12" they released. to date i have acquired 5 or 6 copies and snapped them in half in front of various members of the band -usually the band member who has just given me the record as a gift. thus is the fate of abominations)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 03:30 Nouvelle Vagues cover of Marian
That is indeed a good cover EMWK, it's on my personal playlist which is a little longer than the links in the OP.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
ruffers
Overbomber

Just want to say thanks to alanm for doing this. Although I'm sure a labour of love there's hours of work in this initial list so here you go alanm > thank you :notworthy: :notworthy:

It's a great way to spend a long train journey!
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Ta @ruffers. Projects that are the intersection of several interests are always the most fun.

I'd love to see comparable analyses for other bands but I doubt anyone will be daft enough to do the data collection.
There are some papers and other resources out there (eg https://secondhandsongs.com/statistics) but they only consider officially released covers, not the amateur fare you find on social media.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDEgNoS6IE

Heartworms - Dominion

Someone posted this on Facebook. Love the drum sounds - overall, this is really good. I think Von might approve.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Ha, I loved that. Enthusiasm is the most important thing, right?
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
iesus
Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 11:48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDEgNoS6IE

Heartworms - Dominion

Someone posted this on Facebook. Love the drum sounds - overall, this is really good. I think Von might approve.
+ + + i liked it the way she sang it

- - - Dominion/Mother Russia without singing "Mother Russia rain down down down" is not what it was meant to when it was created imho :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ruffers
Overbomber

Everyone has an opinion and I've got mine
I thought it was diabolical :lol:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Todashi wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 11:48 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDEgNoS6IE
Heartworms - Dominion
Not going on my playlist, but it ain't the worst Dominion cover I have ever listened to.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Yeah, it kinda falls apart half way through, and there's some dodgy singing, but it still has. . . . something. I kinda like it.
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

Still searching for Hot Chocolate cover of Marian..
Last edited by Ian1971 on 09 Apr 2023, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 03:30 Nouvelle Vagues cover of Marian.
Gotta say, I hate that. Manages to suck all the depth and soul from the song. Twee nonsense.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Ian1971 wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 11:41
Gotta say, I hate that. Manages to suck all the depth and soul from the song. Twee nonsense.
i like it simply because its not by some awful Darkling grown men who should know better trying desperately to sound exactly like the original. they did something utterlu different with it but in fairness i havent listened to it or nouvelle vage since as they are a one-trick pony. ALL their covers are the same twee nonsense. Easy-listening has to be one of the biggest musical misnnomers going.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 16:39
Ian1971 wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 11:41
i like it simply because its not by some awful Darkling grown men who should know better trying desperately to sound exactly like the original. they did something utterlu different with it but in fairness i havent listened to it or nouvelle vage since as they are a one-trick pony. ALL their covers are the same twee nonsense. Easy-listening has to be one of the biggest musical misnnomers going.
I absolutely agree with you about grown men doing their baritone darkling impressions; there's one in particular who I think I saw on the Sisters Facebook page - doing a bad, cringey Von impression, in his garden with a mic stand and 13 year old guitarist. I mostly enjoy the techno covers but that's probably because I like techno a lot.

But that said, I kind of can tolerate the tribute band, 'Black Planet', because I find them amusingly bad. I do wish the singer would put more effort into his Von impression though - would probably benefit from developing a speed habit :lol:
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

A bit of self promotion here, but can we add mine /@FMAMMY take on crash and burn to the list? :innocent:

Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Ian1971
Amphetamine Filth

Husek wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 18:26 A bit of self promotion here, but can we add mine /@FMAMMY take on crash and burn to the list? :innocent:

I really like the guitars :notworthy:
GaBriela39
Road Kill

Bury Me Deep is not by Faith And The Muse, but Faith And Disease (release in 1993 at A Tribute To The Sisters Of Mercy - First And Last And Forever). Mistake by Cleopatra Records when release in 2007 A Tribute To The Sisters Of Mercy :-) Funny :-)
GaBriela39
Road Kill

And most great covers of Marian was from Scooter !-)

Being645
Above the Chemist

Hihi, found this today while looking for videos from the recent show ... not the worst performance ... :) ...

Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

I remember a version of Dominion that was kinda... rap? I could never find it again, though. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Guedzilla wrote: 25 May 2023, 13:02 I remember a version of Dominion that was kinda... rap? I could never find it again, though. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Yes, I remember listening to it back in 2006/2007, I downloaded from here.
Alongside The Mumble's version of Crash and Burn
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Guedzilla wrote: 25 May 2023, 13:02 I remember a version of Dominion that was kinda... rap? I could never find it again, though. Does anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Consulting my dataset all I see is this from Callivan Furts:
It's clearly hip-hop influenced, but it's an instrumental so no rap.
coelocanth
Road Kill

While we are on the "fuzzily remembered oddball sisters covers from the past" kick...

I very fuzzily remember an amazing cover of Alice from maybe 30 years ago - so pre-internet era - by a female singer-songwriter done a bit like in a French cafe style with accordion and everything. Any ideas? Or was I hallucinating?
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

coelocanth wrote: 26 May 2023, 10:39 I very fuzzily remember an amazing cover of Alice from maybe 30 years ago - so pre-internet era - by a female singer-songwriter done a bit like in a French cafe style with accordion and everything. Any ideas? Or was I hallucinating?
Not in my dataset... lotta covers of Alice but almost all by dodgy darkling tryhards, not french cafe chicks with accordions. I would have remembered that.

There's this alternative take but I doubt that's what you're looking for:
coelocanth
Road Kill

alanm wrote: 26 May 2023, 11:34Not in my dataset... lotta covers of Alice but almost all by dodgy darkling tryhards, not french cafe chicks with accordions. I would have remembered that.

There's this alternative take but I doubt that's what you're looking for:
That's actually pretty OK, particularly when compared to those massed ranks of dodgy darkling tryhards, but no, that's not the one I'm thinking of. I heard it once, like decades ago, I remember thinking it was pretty awesome at the time, but it could well turn out to be something from the past that should stay not dug up into the light...