New Version Of Soulseek

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

http://www.slsknet.org/slsk149c.exe

Don't forget to back up all your cfg files just in case it writes over them on installation.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Is this the reason I could not log in last nite? Do I have to have this version or will the old one work?

thanks...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Black Planet wrote:Is this the reason I could not log in last nite? Do I have to have this version or will the old one work?

thanks...
ahhh! i kept getting logged off last night too! (trying to download sputnik's "first generation" album) ;)

cool... cheers CellThree :)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

yeah, you need to have this version to get it to work again.

Reason is : " A screwup in 149b came into play when the old slsk.org domain got picked up today, which is why you can't connect. Get 149c for a quick fix. Don't forget to back-up your *.cfg files!"
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

What is a cfg file and where do I find them?

LOL what would I do without your Tech Support! :) ;)
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Heh, ok...

Make a folder on your desktop marked Soulseek Backup. (Right Click on Desktop, New Folder)

Double Click (DC) on My Computer, DC on C:, DC on Program Files, DC on Soulseek. There should be a list of .CFG files there. Highlight them, press CTRL+C. DC on the folder you made on the desktop on press CTRL+V. The CFG files should copy into this folder.

Install the new version of Soulseek. Run it. If it has all the stuff that was on it before (your ingoing and outgoing sections etc.) then the update has worked fine. If these things are missing then copy back the CFG files you backed up back into the Soulseek folder.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Black Planet wrote:What is a cfg file and where do I find them?

LOL what would I do without your Tech Support! :) ;)
*.cfg is a configuration file. That's where *sigh* :-) all the configurations you make in a prog are stored, so the prog starts up with these configs. When you delete this file, all the stuff you altered in the prog are deleted. It is usually found in the directory of the prog itself.
I am not familiar with SLSK, but when you update the prog, it will overwrite your old config file with a blank new one. That's why you have to make a backup of your old config.
Install the new SLSK, overwrite the new *.cfg file with your old one and voilà! Illegal business can start all over again! ;D :innocent: ;D :innocent:

IZZY.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

It doesn't delete the CFGs unless something screws up in the installation of the new version, so best to back them up just in case!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Planet's head is spinning a tad. I was gonna do this tonite, but will print out all instructions...and do it this weekend...when I have more time to spend on it.

Techno fear..It's a real phobia! LOL

Ok C3 and Izzy, thank you for your support. I think.....
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Anyone else having a problem with soulseek today? It keeps telling me the server is down, and Yes I did upgrade and it has been working fine all weekend.

:( :(
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

had some problems yesterday evening... with the new version of the client too - seemed a bit up and down so it wouldnt surprise me if its down again now :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I can't get onto the Soulseek forums to find out what has been happening. It'll sort itself out sooner or later!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:http://remmelt.com/slskboard/status.php

veddy usefull.
Absolutely, but doesn't tell you WHY it's down!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Thea
Overbomber

it's fab is you want a simple "up" or "down" answer though :P try the soulseek board - they usually have an explination and/or estimated time for the server going back up.
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Is this soulseek thingy any good? Is it worth the trouble i'd have downloading it and all?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

http://www.slsknet.org/

http://www.slsknet.org/slsk149c.exe

Just go get it already. It'll take about 2-3 mins on a 56k modem.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
hallucienate
Overbomber

zigeunerweisen wrote:Is this soulseek thingy any good? Is it worth the trouble i'd have downloading it and all?
yeah, it's great, but don't forget to share stuff too.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Yeah, if you have nothing to share ppl block you! And then you have to go in chat and beg to get on someone's list, (I had to do that for Zodiac) and if you are lucky ppl will add you. If you want to download a lot of stuff, I wanted a 20 song gig from one person...ask them nicely if it's ok. Usually it is and I think ppl appreciate that, and add them to your list as a favor.

So far it's been well worth my time! So good luck.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

And yet another new version:

http://www.slsknet.org/slsk150.exe

This one has a new option called "Things I Like". Not 100% what use it is, but sure it'll find a use at some point!
24.24.2.489 Deceased