Chat GPT

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
fractalsister
Road Kill

I asked Chat GPT to write a song lyric by The Sisters of Mercy, and got this abomination (the note at the end is not mine, but added by the AI):

Verse 1:
In the darkness, I hear a voice
Whispering secrets, making a choice
The night is alive, the city is raw
I'm just a stranger, looking for more

Chorus:
Oh, the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone
They were waiting for me here in the dark
All along

Verse 2:
I see shadows moving on the wall
Haunting memories of a love that was
The echoes of laughter, the cries of pain
All fade away in the falling rain

Chorus:
All along

Bridge:
I'm falling down, down the rabbit hole
The past is gone, but the memories hold
I'll keep searching, until I'm found
By the sisters of mercy, still holding on

Outro:
All along

Note: The lyrics are inspired by The Sisters of Mercy, but it's not a song that exists in reality, it's a new song.
czuczu
Overbomber

Mumble mumble mumble voice
Mumble secrets, something noice
Mumble live, city shore
Mumble stranger, nothing more

Done, just need to not record it.
sultan2075
Overbomber

I got a pair of final exams that I strongly believe were written by ChatGPT at the end of the last semester. What gave them away? Well, they were both in grammatically perfect and coherent English, which I find is very rare for undergraduates. But secondly, they were simultaneously detailed and superficial - for example, the essay on Kant probably would have fooled someone who didn’t know the text of the Groundwork very well, but I could tell it was gibberish. Of course, the kids who resorted to this weren’t going to pass the class anyway.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

fractalsister wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 23:00 I asked Chat GPT to write a song lyric by The Sisters of Mercy, and got this abomination (the note at the end is not mine, but added by the AI):

Verse 1:
In the darkness, I hear a voice
Whispering secrets, making a choice
The night is alive, the city is raw
I'm just a stranger, looking for more

Chorus:
All along

Verse 2:
I see shadows moving on the wall
Haunting memories of a love that was
The echoes of laughter, the cries of pain
All fade away in the falling rain

Chorus:
All along

Bridge:
I'm falling down, down the rabbit hole
The past is gone, but the memories hold
I'll keep searching, until I'm found
By the sisters of mercy, still holding on

Outro:
All along

Note: The lyrics are inspired by The Sisters of Mercy, but it's not a song that exists in reality, it's a new song.
apart from the stolen lines of Leonard Cohens it reminds me of something i would write when i was about 14 hehe and there are far far worse lyrics written and sung by actual human adults with no sense of irony whatsoever. I find AI's fascinating though.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
rivum
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 20:10 I got a pair of final exams that I strongly believe were written by ChatGPT at the end of the last semester. What gave them away? Well, they were both in grammatically perfect and coherent English, which I find is very rare for undergraduates. But secondly, they were simultaneously detailed and superficial - for example, the essay on Kant probably would have fooled someone who didn’t know the text of the Groundwork very well, but I could tell it was gibberish. Of course, the kids who resorted to this weren’t going to pass the class anyway.
i recently read about a guy from princeton university who has developed software to identify essays or other texts which are written by AI by analysing whether the text is too even/consistent. appparantly human authors will have all sorts of variation in the things they write.
fascinating stuff, really.
gothboy
Road Kill

i give it ten minutes before someone claims to have a bootleg of Wayne singing this over the backing track of Nine While Nine
GC
Slight Overbomber

Nick Cave's thoughts on the matter:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... -nick-cave
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

gothboy wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 21:03 i give it ten minutes before someone claims to have a bootleg of Wayne singing this over the backing track of Nine While Nine
:lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

And then there's this: https://google-research.github.io/seane ... /examples/

I reckon we're not too far out from your typical Spotify Top 100 hit being 80-90% AI generated - lyrics, music and all. Some human touches in post-production, maybe even a few added tracks or backing vocals.

I was musing the other day that the current trend towards simple melodies, sparse arrangements, and heavy production (and ofc pervasive auto tune) is exactly what an AI would have an easier time producing than, say the Beatles or Elvis or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a large chunk of it is already AI generated. They only admitted to Autotune years after that Cher song released.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?