Dance on Glass(demo) > Black Planet

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
NineWhileNine
Road Kill

Hot take

I think the demo version of Black Planet known as Dance On Glass written by Wayne is just better than Black Planet
For those curious here it is: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

It’s just better
irresponsible decision making
Being645
Above the Chemist

NineWhileNine wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 00:27 Hot take

I think the demo version of Black Planet known as Dance On Glass written by Wayne is just better than Black Planet
For those curious here it is: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

It’s just better
Many thanks ... :) ... while I can't but laugh at the lyrics ( no attack intended !!!), I like the title of this song ... Dance On Glass ...
Given the music was written under that aspect, it implies a certain drive that fitted all other components of Black Planet in an
adorable and clearly unexpected way, a sheer masterpiece ... ;D ... although the music was written first, IIRC ... :lol: ... which
has me imagine some people being all eyes at the new lyrics and their presentation ... :lol: :notworthy: ... saints and martyrs turned into ...
life under environmental destruction ... :wink: ...
mh
Above the Chemist

It doesn't seem to be well-known, but Wayne uploaded a transfer from his own tape some years back, so here it is in as good sound quality as you'll ever hear.

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

thanks for the upload hint, fantastic, always loved that one
love is just a shot away
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I got a feeling that Dance on Glass has slightly faster pace.
Choosing between both version (not counting the lyrics) of a song that I never really liked, I'd pick Wayne'.
Fallon
Road Kill

Sorry, but I never liked the Dance On Glass version. Even if you set aside the actual quality of Wayne's lyrics, they're so dense and crowded. I know it's only a demo but I just feel like this version exemplifies Hussey's tendency to go big and busy, and I think the main reason his best (perhaps only good) work was with the Sisters is because of the tendency Eldritch has to pare things back and make them more spacious.

Black Planet seems to be the result of Eldritch recognizing that the merit of the song is found in the spaces between the bits. That's never been Hussey's natural tendency.

I do love the Black Planet version though - I always think that Hussey's brief intersection with Eldritch lasted exactly as long as they were able to find each others' diametrically-opposed approach useful. If it's any consolation, I'm sure I'd hate Eldritch lyrics if it was discovered that they'd been previously used on a different song too.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

It's just a really weak song, whoever does it. One of the weak points in the Sisters canon

{ducks}
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

its a burner, and i still look forward to see it on stage
love is just a shot away
Pista
Cureboi

NineWhileNine wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 00:27
It’s just better
You might like it more, but that's different to it being better :wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
satanarchist
Road Kill

Glass! Glass! Glass Planet!
Dance! Dance! Dance World!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:lol: quite likely the best version of the lot!
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
mh
Above the Chemist

satanarchist wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 17:48 Glass! Glass! Glass Planet!
Dance! Dance! Dance World!
In the wasteland sky - my bridges burn.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
dubler6
Road Kill

MrChris wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 09:53 It's just a really weak song, whoever does it. One of the weak points in the Sisters canon

{ducks}
I agree that Black Planet doesn’t or wouldn’t work that well as a live tune.

I’ve always considered it as an introduction into the rest of the album, where Andrew’s psyche was at the time.

A hard world to navigate, but with a shimmer of hope.
Damaged+Done
Road Kill

MrChris wrote: 18 Oct 2023, 09:53 It's just a really weak song, whoever does it. One of the weak points in the Sisters canon

{ducks}
Totally agree. And for such a revered lp... in my humble opinion it [Black Planet] along with the singles on Side 1, shows the insane amount of heavy lifting Side 2 had to do!
Being645
Above the Chemist

I love Black Planet. It was such a great hard-rock track at the time, dark, captivating and danceable. Heaven knows why so many dislike it. Maybe because of the s**t video for the track which is to the core off mark in terms of say, localistion and fully adapted to American record company standard strategies ... pretentious, swanky and bored ... hell really, how did this music deserve such visuals? No wonder they never played it live ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yup, the video is why this song hasn't been played live, for sure. Sounds legit. :lol:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 14:03 Yup, the video is why this song hasn't been played live, for sure. Sounds legit. :lol:
... ;D ...