Bauhaus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Whilst putting up a pelmet rail (scary, I know :? ) in the lounge on Saturday morning, I inadvertently found myself listening to 'Mask'.
All the memories came flooding back as I'd totally forgot what a complete and utter waste of space they were. Tuneless, whiney, pretentious, monotonous Goth pap. Go figure. :x
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

i quite like em

i thought it was the next logical step from bowie

thats me though :?
hallucienate
Overbomber

I used to like 1979-1983 double vinyl compilation, but some of their album stuff was a bit iffy.

Lately I've been listening to a Night Time off the Radio sessions disk every now and then.

the Gotham DVD is a load sh1te though.
Loki

I can hear the Bowie in there but this album starts as a low throb in my sinus and ends up as a full blown migraine by 'Lillies'. I did like bits of PTEAGMTT though. Maybe they're tainted by association as the only time I saw them live was at a festival when they were supported by the Virgin Prunes. Their performance mentally scarred me for life.

:urff: :? :(
hallucienate
Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:I can hear the Bowie in there but this album starts as a low throb in my sinus and ends up as a full blown migraine by 'Lillies'. I did like bits of PTEAGMTT though. Maybe they're tainted by association as the only time I saw them live was at a festival when they were supported by the Virgin Prunes. Their performance mentally scarred me for life.

:urff: :? :(
It wasn't Futurama '81 was it?

You do know that a very cool band also played there?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

"of lillies and remains" is a terrible track. or should i say "tewible"?

its art w#nk at its worst.

"i wiw cwimb this high waw in wemembwance of cwancy"

:D :urff: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

having said that, when they laid off the daft sax solos and punked out they were pretty cool 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Johnny Boy wrote:...I'd totally forgot what a complete and utter waste of space they were. Tuneless, whiney, pretentious, monotonous Goth pap. Go figure. :x
I'll pretend I didn't read this... :eek: :evil: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Loki

hallucienate wrote: You do know that a very cool band also played there?
Yep. My deep dark secret. Background ...

Bingley Hall is approx 10 miles outside Stafford and is literally a cattle market. Facilities consisted of a disused warehouse with a stage, portaloos and a natty little pavilion (bar) that wouldn't have looked out of place beside a village cricket ground. This was the only place to get food and drink. In '81 we had antiquated licensing laws that meant the bar would only be open 12-2pm and then 7-10pm. So, having never heard of TSOM or heard the music until early '83, and without checking the running order, I can only assume if they were on early, I was either sitting in the bar or lying in the sun. Or they were crap and made no impression on me whatsoever. We never went into the warehouse until about 5pm each day. Too many tuneless bands playing 30min sets. Plus the smell of cattle.

I start a Bauhaus thread and 'out' myself as being at a Sisters gig in '81 and not even bothering to watch them. Or not remembering watching them. Oh, the shame. :urff: :roll: :oops:
James Blast
Banned

Thank you BH, I am rather partial to those Bauhaus boys and especially the title track of Mask, good vid too.

Blast!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I have a rather spiffing collection of Bauhaus stuff. I still think Mask is a great album, but I havent' actually listened to them for a while. I still love Passion Of Lovers though. That is a great song.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
James Blast
Banned

If live albums and best ofs don't count Mask gets my vote, then Sky's Gone Out, it a free for all after that.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Sorry to rain on your Bauhaus parade, but I agree with JohnnyBoy on this one...I can't stand them.

Love and Rockets, Peter Murphy are better off by themselves.

Knew I'd be controversial. :)
James Blast
Banned

Tones On Tail were better :P
~ Peter Steele
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Right, ya bawbags!

I wont hear a bad word about one of my top bands of the 80s. Bauhaus were sheer class (and not just cos I had hair like Daniel Ash!).

So many great tracks....Double Dare, Rosegarden, Kick in the Eye, Dark Entries, Crowds, the mighty Bela, Spirit, In the Flatfield....classics one and all.

Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they speak.
reverberater
Amphetamine Filth

Rubbish! Mask was a gem. Especially the title track when it breaks off at the end "The shadow is cast" can't think of anyone with a more penetrating voice than Murphy, myself.

Ok Quiffster i'm with you on Lillies

But Love and Rockets better than Bauhaus? No way dude.

Tones on Tail's Performance was their best track and it's a slight rip off of Kraftwerk's model imo.

Dali's Car didn't do it for me OR his solo stuff. In fact i couldn't get into much of their seperate stuff although i'd painted L&R's Ball of Confusion disc on the back of my leather coat back in 86 just to look the part and it was easy to just draw around a bowl and paint a rocket innit :lol:
Guided by the light and by the catholic monochrome
James Blast
Banned

Thank you Derek Man :D and Gotham is damn fine, so there!
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

Mask my arse. They are sh1te.
(apart from Ziggy and Bela Lugosi.)

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
ryan

ziggy stardust- now THATS a good cover
hallucienate
Overbomber

ryan_w_0000 wrote:ziggy stardust- now THATS a good cover
Good in that it sound exactly like the Bowie version?
ryan

hallucienate wrote:
ryan_w_0000 wrote:ziggy stardust- now THATS a good cover
Good in that it sound exactly like the Bowie version?
:innocent:
mh
Above the Chemist

I've always had a real soft spot for Mask. Some of their stuff was truly dreadful though, wasn't it? Side 2 of The Sky's Gone Out, like, c'mon!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Loki

CellThree wrote: I have a rather spiffing collection of Bauhaus stuff.
I know you do. It was part of your collection I was listening to ... :wink: :innocent:
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

never been a fan of them but they had some great songs
but they were a bit hysterical for my tastes

crowds though is a great song, passion as well
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:
I know you do. It was part of your collection I was listening to ... :wink: :innocent:
:? If you got the MP3s that was a long time ago! Otherwise, you been raiding my house?! :eek: :eek:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Loki

CellThree wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:
:? If you got the MP3s that was a long time ago! Otherwise, you been raiding my house?! :eek: :eek:
Sleep easy C3. :) I think BP got bored one day burning me blank Sisters boots :innocent: and whipped up a couple of mp3 discs just to check her level of geekness. :P