Screw Shareholder Value - Go Figure

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Silver_Owl
The Don

I'm sure some of you must have heard the tracks off this. I never have. What's the deal? Is it really as bad as they say?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

I actually quite like it. See your PMs!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

it is listenable i have to admit. If it ended up an official release id probably buy it. I wouldnt pay the large prices they have for the bootleg though.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Just discovered while ripping my CD, track 9 - Go Figure is completely knackered on my CD due to three lovely deep scratches on the CD.

Could anyone rip me that track at 320kbps for me?

Pretty please???
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Silver_Owl
The Don

Thanks Cellthree. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

So, does anybody know who played on it then?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Big Si
School Bully

Steve303 wrote:So, does anybody know who played on it then?
http://darkwaves.co.uk/sisterhood/ssv.htm

:innocent: :wink:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
_emma_
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:I actually quite like it.

So do I! :) It calms me down when I'm nervous, it soothes me when I'm depressed. Whenever I'm in a really bad mood, all I need to do is listen to SSV for a couple of hours. I think it's enormously beautiful.

What was this phrase you tend to end your messages with in cases like this? "I'll get me coat" or something?
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Ah c'mon folks, it's meant to be garbage and it IS garbage.

If it didn't have Von's name attached to it none of you would give it a second glance.

It makes Vision Thing look good!
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Agree with DerekR. The Completists are taking over the asylum.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Big Si
School Bully

But some of us really like it (we're not all Guardian Readers here you know! :roll: ) and there's probably some young fan who's just got into the sisters through an elder sibling, who'd very much like a chance to hear it! :)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

DerekR wrote:Ah c'mon folks, it's meant to be garbage and it IS garbage.

If it didn't have Von's name attached to it none of you would give it a second glance.

It makes Vision Thing look good!
\

You're right, I probably won't have heard it, but I have and I like it. it's the only way to discover new music through recommendations or through a favourite artists side projects and other ways. There's more music out there than what the NME says.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
_emma_
Overbomber

DerekR wrote:If it didn't have Von's name attached to it none of you would give it a second glance.

True. I needed to listen to it about 50 or 60 times before I started to love it. It was exactly the same with "Floodland", in my case. :|
longtrain
Road Kill

I think everyone should hear it but it <b>is</b> garbage. I won't hear anyone claim otherwise.
mh
Above the Chemist

Well, loadsa folks hated Gift at first, but history has proven it to be a landmark release both for the Sisters and for the whole electronic/industrial/darkwave thing, so lets at least try keep an open mind here.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Do any of the tracks feature Von singing?
what are the lyrics?
Gazza for England manager
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Von's not singing on it exactly, it's more like he "speaks" the lyrics. "Shut The F**k Up" (repeated ad nausem) :roll: is a good (bad?) example.
The Scene won't save you...
claws
Amphetamine Filth

why can't people be objective? Stop thinking with your heart instead of your brain. The SSV project is s**t.

DerekR is so correct that it's frightening.

Lets not compare this s**t to any other Von related music anymore. It's just not possible...
We are coming down but we will never, never land
_emma_
Overbomber

Well that's just a matter of taste I suppose. Thank God, if I like something, no one can make me stop liking it just because they think it's not worth liking. As for thinking with my brain instead of my heart, well I'm afraid it's not possible as far as music is concerned. :D :D :D
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:Well that's just a matter of taste I suppose. Thank God, if I like something, no one can make me stop liking it just because they think it's not worth liking. As for thinking with my brain instead of my heart, well I'm afraid it's not possible as far as music is concerned. :D :D :D
Too right. It's all down to personal taste. Anybody who tries to tell you to not like or like a piece of music should shut the f*ck up.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Dave R

ahem...

would anyone be so kind as to let me know, where some devious git has posted these mp3's so that i can avoid them...ahem....at all costs, as i do not want to download them.

Honest...

Thank you in advance.
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Having listened to it now I think it is fairly obvious it was released as a "fcuk you" to the record company. Maybe if I listened to it 50 or 60 times I may like it but I haven't got enough hours in my life to do so. As a Sisters fan I think it's best left alone.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Taking in account that I read and digested the above posts I would like to that I IMHO think "Gift" is Fan - F***ING - Tastic

As for SSV - I have not heard it, dont want to hear it, have a copy of it (Thanks Derek R) and will Not be listening to it in the near furture - as that would be like using a broken pencil - pointless!
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

It must be wonderful to have a handful of Germans think you have the Midas touch?

None of which changes the wee fact that the "SSV" recording is a piece of self-indulgent s**t.

Techno without drums? What a silly idea.

"Gift" on the other hand is a work of undisputed genius. ;)
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Chairman Bux wrote:It must be wonderful to have a handful of Germans think you have the Midas touch?

None of which changes the wee fact that the "SSV" recording is a piece of self-indulgent s**t.

Techno without drums? What a silly idea.

"Gift" on the other hand is a work of undisputed genius. ;)
tangerinedream on a bad day ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?