Les frogies

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Why are there so few French sisters fans?

Or have I got that wrong?
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Haven't historically the french only supported french speaking artists? The old french is the universal language of the world and we don't understand english bollox. Bastards.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

yes, but they did go all doolally (sp?) over the cure
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Clucking Belle wrote:yes, but they did go all doolally (sp?) over the cure
always suspected something was not right with them... ;)

:twisted:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Loki

May they thought fat Bob's barnet was the black equivalent of a french aristo bouffant?
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Clucking Belle wrote:Why are there so few French sisters fans?

Or have I got that wrong?
Well, i'm not french but i love France and the french and i like the Sisters, does that count?
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Non
zigeunerweisen

Johnny Boy wrote:Haven't historically the french only supported french speaking artists? The old french is the universal language of the world and we don't understand english bollox. Bastards.
You make it sound as supporting your national artists is a bad thing. In a world that's becoming the palyground of english speaking nations i support anyone who wants to maintain their cultural identity.

Apart from that, there are so many english speaking artists (american, english, or any other who happens to sing in english) which are famous in France that i'm not even going to mention them, you don't actually believe they only listen to french artists do you? France is so much more open to foreign artists than Britain is, so i don't understand your commentary.

When was the last time you listened to a portuguese, or spanish, or brasilian, or argentianian, or dutch or polish or even, gasp, a french artist? Actually when was the last time you listened to anyone singing in some other language other than english?
zigeunerweisen

Quiff Boy wrote:
Clucking Belle wrote:yes, but they did go all doolally (sp?) over the cure
always suspected something was not right with them... ;)

:twisted:
yeah, maybe, but the Cure are brit, not french, so ultimately...
Loki

zigeunerweisen wrote:so i don't understand your commentary.
It's called english humour. Never did travel well. :wink:
zigeunerweisen wrote:When was the last time you listened to a portuguese, or spanish, or brasilian, or argentianian, or dutch or polish or even, gasp, a french artist? Actually when was the last time you listened to anyone singing in some other language other than english?
Never. I do envy you that you have the distinct advantage of living on the mainland where different cultures, identities and languages are embraced and welcomed. I unfortunately live on a little island that still thinks it is a major player in world affairs and refuses to immerse itself into a european culture for fear of losing its national identity (and Americas support), whilst still wistfully dreaming of the days when the majority of the world map was coloured pink. :|
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

zigeunerweisen wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:Haven't historically the french only supported french speaking artists? The old french is the universal language of the world and we don't understand english bollox. Bastards.
You make it sound as supporting your national artists is a bad thing. In a world that's becoming the palyground of english speaking nations i support anyone who wants to maintain their cultural identity.

Apart from that, there are so many english speaking artists (american, english, or any other who happens to sing in english) which are famous in France that i'm not even going to mention them, you don't actually believe they only listen to french artists do you? France is so much more open to foreign artists than Britain is, so i don't understand your commentary.

When was the last time you listened to a portuguese, or spanish, or brasilian, or argentianian, or dutch or polish or even, gasp, a french artist? Actually when was the last time you listened to anyone singing in some other language other than english?
Would yesterday, in Russian, Icelandic and Latin count (seperate artists, naturally). :P

The problem with the French approach was the introduction of legislation insisting that a set percentage of songs had to be performed in French on TV and radio. On the one hand it makes sense, but it knocks out a load of good music because it happens to be UK / US-produced (especially, though I'm sure the rest of Europe suffers to) and keeps a load of utter bilge on the air because it's in the appropriate tongue.

It's also apparently inspired some French acts to start recording songs with verses in English and French, which presumably meets some sort of dubious quota but results in lyrics like "When I was young, I was a Jedi". No idea how that translates (Quand j'etais petit, j'etais Jedi?) but I suspect it's bollocks in either language. (anecdotal observation based on a particularly irritating song I heard repeatedly on the radio last time I was in France).

As for becoming the playground of English-speaking nations, isn't that simply an inevitable extention of the last 200 years of history? From the dawn of the industrial revolution we have seen countries with a manufacturing surplus. That means other countries need to communicate with them in order to trade. The industrial revolution started in English-speaking Britain and we remained in the vanguard for a century or so until the English-speaking Americans outstripped us. Which language did it then become most useful for the rest of the world to learn?

It may not be "right" or even desirable, but it's a fact of life. I'm happy for anyone to maintain a cultural identity, but not an exclusive one.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

zigeunerweisen wrote:When was the last time you listened to a portuguese, or spanish, or brasilian, or argentianian, or dutch or polish or even, gasp, a french artist?
Does Serge Gainsbourg count? If so, quite recently.
Loki

Anybody else noticed the way CB lights the blue touch paper and stands well back?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Boy wrote:Anybody else noticed the way CB lights the blue touch paper and stands well back?
Sorry, I'm new. Did I take someone's bait? :oops:
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Loki

andymackem wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:Anybody else noticed the way CB lights the blue touch paper and stands well back?
Sorry, I'm new. Did I take someone's bait? :oops:
No, no. Some people like to have a serious debate and your response to Ziggy was interesting and well thought out. :) Some people like to take cheap shots and would run a mile at the thought of a serious debate :innocent: CB's posts always tend to have a slighty provocative twist in their tail. :twisted:
Dave R

Could the whole "where are the french som fans" have something to do with Von's shall we say "dislike" of the french ??

I seem to recall a hotel escapade where he was hiding from the french National Rugby Team...

jaded memory comes with age.....

either way, we 'island Monkeys' (thank you heidi) are quite big on the whole Jonny Foriegner thing, we have never been that good at "crossing borders", whilst I listen to Einstuzende, Die haut etc etc I do not know whether our euro friends are listening to Head of David, PWEI, His Last Parade etc etc...

curious thing being English...... :urff:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Hit fast, run faster. It's a valid strategy. :twisted:
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

[quote="doktor wolf"]Could the whole "where are the french som fans" have something to do with Von's shall we say "dislike" of the french ??

I think if no-one Von has ever professed a dislike for bought his records, he wouldn't sold very many at all. :wink: :wink:
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Keh? All I did was ask why there are so few froggy gothy types who like les sisters.

I support all of my views except the indefensible ones. Which I refuse to comment on on the basis that they are clearly right.

Does that make sense?

But while we're on the topic of the lily livered garlic munching duplicitous self important crapauds francais, they had their day about 30 years before some daft filly suggested they eat some cake, and have been on a downhill slide since.

This is only compensated for by the fact that bits of the country are really quite pretty, and the chicks have...well... such fine comportement to use a froggy word.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Clucking Belle wrote:Keh? All I did was ask why there are so few froggy gothy types who like les sisters.

I support all of my views except the indefensible ones. Which I refuse to comment on on the basis that they are clearly right.

Does that make sense?

But while we're on the topic of the lily livered garlic munching duplicitous self important crapauds francais, they had their day about 30 years before some daft filly suggested they eat some cake, and have been on a downhill slide since.

This is only compensated for by the fact that bits of the country are really quite pretty, and the chicks have...well... such fine comportement to use a froggy word.
ahem:

Heartland is not responsible or liable for what users post on the message boards.

Heartland is not liable or responsible for the reactions users have to what they read on message boards.

Heartland is not liable for messages that are profane, slanderous, inaccurate, disrespectful, rascist, sexually discriminating, or taken as offensive by the reader.

Heartland does not endorse any opinions, products, theories, or anything else posted on message boards

phew! :roll: :innocent:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Clucking Belle
Amphetamine Filth

Hey! That *** word was "cra-paud" (w/out the hyphon), which is french for toad. QB, can I get it re-instated? Otherwise this baord is discriminating against the language of lurve and smelly cheese.

Otherwise, QB, can't disagree with any of yr post.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Clucking Belle wrote:Keh? All I did was ask why there are so few froggy gothy types who like les sisters.

Does that make sense?

But while we're on the topic of the lily livered garlic munching duplicitous self important **** francais, they had their day about 30 years before some daft filly suggested they eat some cake, and have been on a downhill slide since.

ahem:

Heartland is not responsible or liable for what users post on the message boards.

Heartland is not liable or responsible for the reactions users have to what they read on message boards.

Heartland is not liable for messages that are profane, slanderous, inaccurate, disrespectful, rascist, sexually discriminating, or taken as offensive by the reader.

Heartland does not endorse any opinions, products, theories, or anything else posted on message boards

phew! :roll: :innocent:
Heartland IS responsible for many wasted hours of my time when I really could be doing something better. Not that I'm a lazy c**t or anything! :D
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Johnny Boy wrote:Never. I do envy you that you have the distinct advantage of living on the mainland where different cultures, identities and languages are embraced and welcomed. I unfortunately live on a little island that still thinks it is a major player in world affairs and refuses to immerse itself into a european culture for fear of losing its national identity (and Americas support), whilst still wistfully dreaming of the days when the majority of the world map was coloured pink. :|

You're from the Isle of Man? :innocent:

IZZY.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

It's OK, I didn't take my coat off...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

Just to answer the previous comment regarding Eldritch hating the French. I can confirm he does indeed.

During a Janice Long (remember her? :eek: ) interview I remember her saying something along the lines of......

JL: You nearly became a diplomat didn't you?
AE: Yes, It did seem like the natural thing to do.
JL: Are you glad you didn't?
AE: Yeah, the French would have been in trouble if I had I can tell you.
JL: (embarassed laugh)

----------------------------------------
There ya go.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.