You know you're old when...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I came out of the cinema last night and although I’ve always thought of myself as a very liberal person, I have to say I found myself shocked by a group of young girls in very short skirts, high heels and cropped tops – mainly because:

a) They were about 12/13 years old.
b) It’s Aberdeen and the temperature is bloody freezing.
c) They were clearly drunk and/or wasted.
d) And this is in the cinema foyer.

I just found myself thinking "How old are they?"
Followed by "If that was my daughter…" - and I don’t even have children!

I'm sure they thought they were being sexy but it was rather sad in a way.
Whatever happened to childhood?
That, and let's face it, there's a lot of sick b*stards out there.
It's simply not safe for young girls to look like that, particularly drunk ones.

When did I turn into my parents?
I’m sure I wasn’t that aware at that age. Hell, I didn’t indulge in any form
of regular underage drinking until a few months before my 18th birthday.

God, I just couldn’t cope with kids, especially a daughter.
I’d have her locked in the house until she was at least 25.
How backward is that?
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Could be your hormones, daddyo. And I ain't kidding! The same thing happens to me. A friend of mine is a single mum and she has a couple of teenage daughters who I get very protective over. And I don't really want to have children.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

heh....

even IM ashamed of the generation....

now how backwards is that?

Seems every generation likes to go further then the other one. Kids are rebelious smarter younger, Fashion is getting away with much more and the music is getting more violent and more people are buying it....it sells.....

my apoligies for us :urff:
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I'm all for rebellion - it's a natural part of growing up.
I just feel they're being manipulated by the media into being something
they are not ready for.

As for smarter - I'm not so sure. They certainly have a lot more
technology at their disposal and know how to use it, but I don't
think that can be equated directly to intelligence.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Debaser
Overbomber

I was absolustey - well to tell you thruth I don't know what I was - three girls in my class wear thongs....THONGS fer crying out lod. These grls are 8 years old!!!

It begger's belief what was going on in their parents mind which led them to believe that their 8 year old daughters needed to wear thongs.

Bewildered from Lincoln......
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

It was all fields round here in my day...

Lolita Culture - I profesy disaster
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

So glad I don't have a daughter.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Thea
Overbomber

my sister's 14 and does that... her skirt's so short she can't walk 3 steps without having to ajust it, and her top could be underwear. all she seems to want to do is go and sit in the park drinking cheap cider with her mates.

IMO, it's pretty sad, but it's what she wants to do. i just never wanted to do that - at 14 i wanted to wear suits and watch doctor who and go to church.

the best thing to do is let them figure out the no coat = cold thing for themselves. a few good bouts of flu should do the trick.

i think it's kind of sad there seems to be less childhood around (does that even make sence?) kids need to play with dolls and mud and chickens and cardboard boxes. it's healthy.
Debaser
Overbomber

I had to teach my class how much fun it is to roll down a hill....'What Mrs Luff, you just lie down at the top of this grassy hill and roll over and over? And you say that's great?'

We had a whole school game of 'tiggy off ground' too!

It's not all Literacy and Numeracy you know ;)
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

d00mw0lf wrote:
the best thing to do is let them figure out the no coat = cold thing for themselves. a few good bouts of flu should do the trick
The flu is a virus, you can't catch it by being cold!! (You can SOOOO tell i'm about to start work again soon)

Feck em, let em get on with it! Not a lezza or anything but I don't really like the many 'glad I don't have a daughter' statements, boys are just as bloody bad you know.

I (and many of my friends) were like that, and I turned out ok <twitch>.....It's a learning curve if you like..............and a lot of fun :wink:
Only a paand.
James Blast
Banned

Did you?
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

No I just made it up for attention............. Yes I was one of the loud/cider drinking/where's the boys?/my Dad would kill me if he saw this skirt group
What of it?????????????

Like I said, if blokes can do it (well not the where's the boys?/My Dad would kill me if he saw this skirt bit) then so can we...........you're just jealous because we're better at it!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Only a paand.
Gripper

Debaser wrote:I had to teach my class how much fun it is to roll down a hill....'What Mrs Luff, you just lie down at the top of this grassy hill and roll over and over? And you say that's great?'

We had a whole school game of 'tiggy off ground' too!

It's not all Literacy and Numeracy you know ;)
I played 'We are the same Suzanne' to my Year 6 class the other day (while it was getting near Christmas) and there was a chorus of 'this is cool!'

The best day's work I've done in ages...heh heh.
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
James Blast
Banned

I feel so cheap SG.
~ Peter Steele
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Gripper wrote:I played 'We are the same Suzanne' to my Year 6 class the other day (while it was getting near Christmas) and there was a chorus of 'this is cool!'

The best day's work I've done in ages...heh heh.
Email that to all record companies, marked very very urgent.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
mh
Above the Chemist

The number of times music has been too loud for me in various places recently has been genuinely worrying. I can really see myself yelling "turn that bloody row down, you'll go deaf!!!" before too long.

Welcome to the madhouse, c_drive!!!
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote:The number of times music has been too loud for me in various places recently has been genuinely worrying. I can really see myself yelling "turn that bloody row down, you'll go deaf!!!" before too long.

Welcome to the madhouse, c_drive!!!
Hum! Many a true word spoken in jest, mh. I have pretty poor hearing, which must be at least partly due to over-exposure to loud music in my mis-spent youth :(

And hello new person ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
randdebiel²

Markfiend, please change that avatar, my boss is getting suspicious :( :D
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

randdebiel² wrote:Markfiend, please change that avatar, my boss is getting suspicious :( :D
Is that better? ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

I have a 12 year old daughter and she's fine. Can pass for being 14/15 but understands right and wrong and has a strong set of morals. Never caused any grief and is in the top 1% for her year at school. Actually likes school, hangs around with like-minded kids, very sporty and spends most of her freetime down at a stables working for her riding lessons. I'm sure she will rebel at some stage so I'm just enjoying the normality at the moment.

On another point mentioned in this thread I went up to Newcastle in Feb for a party. We stayed at a hotel out by Swan Hunter and had to catch the Metro overland back a few stops. It was bloody freezing. Hats, scarfes, gloves and big overcoats were the order of the day. Except for the five geordie lasses who turned up five mins before the train was due. Crop tops, mini skirts, bare legs. Maybe it's a girl thing. Or geordie girls are just well hard.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
randdebiel²

markfiend wrote:
randdebiel² wrote:Markfiend, please change that avatar, my boss is getting suspicious :( :D
Is that better? ;D
after all maybe you should keep the other one :innocent: :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

randdebiel² wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Is that better? ;D
after all maybe you should keep the other one :innocent: :wink:
I quite like :von: in his Santa hat though
—Bertrand Russell
randdebiel²

markfiend wrote:I quite like :von: in his Santa hat though
yes but it's a bit, euhm....bare?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

randdebiel2 wrote:
markfiend wrote:I quite like :von: in his Santa hat though
yes but it's a bit, euhm....bare?
Changed it back. For anyone interested, this is what it was...
—Bertrand Russell
Debaser
Overbomber

c_drive wrote:well, I dont think 14 year old's ever played with boxes and chickens,
unless they lived on a farm.
OOOh I still love big boxes, you know real big ones with all the bits intact. Nowt like sitting inside a big fuk off telly box, pulling the top down and waiting.....waiting...

Now chickens YAK, nasty birds with evil pecky beaks and beady eyes...oh and that horrible flatteningy down thing they do when you have to try and pick them up.

And no, I don't/didn't live on a farm

Allo Mr C-drive by the way