Off the Street Benefit

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Anybody who was there care to recall what it was like? And is there a tape of the event?

8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

yep, it was funny. and quite cool.

the mish played but IIRC it was basically hussey and some session musos, and adam. :roll:

:lol:

the utah saints & von did new gold dream and gimme shelter, and then after von had left a bongo drum fell over, pulling out a wire and causing a piece of their kit cut-out during the intro to a song, which was very amusing when the turntables, sampler and vocals kciked in without any other instrumentation.... :lol:

there is a recording, of which i have a copy, and of which i believe our very own dan is the originator :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Karst wrote:Anybody who was there care to recall what it was like? And is there a tape of the event?

8)
the Utah Saints were drinking in the pub next door, which was cool and there were major rumours of von getting on stage with Hussey, so it was a wee bit of a let down when he only came on for a short time. Still very cool appearing all in black from the side of the stage.

In interview, he said he didn't know all the words and i can confirm he had them taped to the floor on the stage, but as he said, he couldn't actually see them :lol: :lol: :lol:

a good day and very very drunk ;D
Goths have feelings too
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Yeah, lots of memories:

Von not allowing the unofficial remix of 'Floorshow' being played at Basics to go on the compilation, but only giving Sandstorm / Untitled instead. Still, at least I got to share a 'smoke' with him...

Hussey allowing us (with Mick Brown) to remix Wasteland for the compilation and turning it into something like Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Plus Wolfie (RLYL) playing a solo over the recording backwards which just sounded normal when played back. Ho hum. Hussey vetoed it in the end and did his own remix...

Geting incredibly drunk...

People hoping Von would do the entire set with Utah Saints and being a bit disappointed...

Realising that Von with Utah Saints worked really well (even if he had to read the lyrics for New Gold Dream from the floor) and hoping they'd record something together...

Being glad to be back in Leeds, then leaving...

2003: Nostalgia making me dig out the compilation again and thinking it's not that bad...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
JansenClone

paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

JansenClone wrote:Yeah, lots of memories:

Von not allowing the unofficial remix of 'Floorshow' being played at Basics to go on the compilation, but only giving Sandstorm...
wowsa, you sound like you were "close" to that compilation. How? Seems rare to find now. I found a copy in the USA a few months back
Geting incredibly drunk...
me too :D
Realising that Von with Utah Saints worked really well (even if he had to read the lyrics for New Gold Dream from the floor) and hoping they'd record something together...
in various interviews, both parties said that they were working on stuff. Would love to know how far it got :?
Goths have feelings too
JansenClone

paint it black wrote:
JansenClone wrote:Yeah, lots of memories:

Von not allowing the unofficial remix of 'Floorshow' being played at Basics to go on the compilation, but only giving Sandstorm...
wowsa, you sound like you were "close" to that compilation. How? Seems rare to find now. I found a copy in the USA a few months back
Mostly because of bands friends of mine were working with, and also because he was such a nice bloke, I became quite good friends with Mick Brown around that time. Most nights out in Leeds then would end up back at Mick's. Also at the time The Sisters, m*****n and Wonder Stuff fan clubs were being run out of Mick's house so everyone tended to be 'around' there.
paint it black wrote:
JansenClone wrote:Realising that Von with Utah Saints worked really well (even if he had to read the lyrics for New Gold Dream from the floor) and hoping they'd record something together...
in various interviews, both parties said that they were working on stuff. Would love to know how far it got :?
I remember Von saying something about everyone thinking he should be the lead singer for Utah Saints and him saying they were right course! Tongue in cheek I suspect. But he dropped the ball on that one. Big missed opportunity for a new direction. Funny, looking at the bands on the compilation that whole event really marked the end of an era. Everything has its time I suppose if it can't or won't change!
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

My strongest memory is Andrew dancing at the side of the stage while Utah Saints were on before he joined them onstage. Then dipping behind a screen & re-emerging with 'Love God' written on his arm.

Almost worth the journey home.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

If you listen to the Utah Saints version of 'New Gold Dream' on record, it sounds eerily like Von himself. It certainly isn't the original Jim Kerr vocals that were used. Hmmm...
pikkrong
Overbomber

shivarising wrote:If you listen to the Utah Saints version of 'New Gold Dream' on record, it sounds eerily like Von himself. It certainly isn't the original Jim Kerr vocals that were used. Hmmm...
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

pikkrong wrote:
shivarising wrote:If you listen to the Utah Saints version of 'New Gold Dream' on record, it sounds eerily like Von himself. It certainly isn't the original Jim Kerr vocals that were used. Hmmm...
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:lol:

it certainly isnt von singing on the album ;) jez maybe?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
twp
Amphetamine Filth

I was listening to new gold dream last night and was thinking, "i recognise that voice".

I guess I was mistaken, but odd nonetheless
allfear

It was my first time to yorkshire it was a great day

La Costa Raza were a rather cool 2 piece indoe/goth band who became a 3 piece by the time the supported the sisters

Ringos High - They were like a bunch of old men doing 60s beat music with kipper ties and flairs, I got there return of the dung beatle 12" somewhere

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry - Kicked Arse

The m*****n - Fantastic always remember Andy Cousins having troble with his bass amp and having to change over mid song

Cud - I Liked them but they got bottled off!!!

Utah Saints - Everyone booed , then eldritch came on, couldnt quite work out if he was actualyy singing or now did 2 songs, Utahs Dat tape stpooed mid set, then more booing

At the end of the night there werew a LOT of pissed off people because eldritch didnt do more as the lare majority were there purely for m*****n and Spiggy.

I did buy 2 T Shirts!

Stayed the night in Bradford, cant remember much about it, only it was at the house of that guy Andy who ran the Scent and mascera goth zine, who Now i think has something to do with Infest!
Reptile
Amphetamine Filth

Had a great day as i blagged my way into VIP & chilled out with Mr. Marx, then Von turn up after being on stage. they signed my ticket stub which capped a great day.

Rise & Reverberate

Cheers Paul 8)

[quote]

If J.D. Drew Blood, Then The Sisters Cut Right
Through To The Bone. It Hurts. But Feels So.... oooo Good
Dan
Overbomber

At one point during the gig Eldritch could be seen posing on the balcony at the back in a pose very similar to this one in full view for all to see. 8) :)
twp
Amphetamine Filth

Utah saints speak

Who sings on New Gold Dream? It sounds a little like Andrew Eldritch?

"It does sound a little like him -the album was recorded in Leeds, UK, and Jez From Utah Saints is the singer on this track. "