MyDoom

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Any one else having fun with this?

Our bandwidth is saturated and I've just finished cleaning 1 500 of the fukcers from one of my servers mailq...
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

well ive had about 10 returned mails today.. all apparently originaly sent from bob@fourth...co.uk

what fun ;)

Gary.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I keep getting Mailer-Daemon "undeliverable mail" emails. The b*****ds seem to be spoofing my address :evil:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Thea
Overbomber

what is this? a virus or summat?
doesn't sound pleasant...
hallucienate
Overbomber

d00mw0lf wrote:what is this? a virus or summat?
doesn't sound pleasant...
yup :?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id ... 5&set_id=1
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Gary wrote:well ive had about 10 returned mails today.. all apparently originaly sent from bob@fourth...co.uk

what fun ;)

Gary.
aye. me too - i've been getting about 50+ a day returned to whatever@myheartland.co.uk for the last coupel of days ,

i've turned the catchall address off so at least i dont get them anymore, they just disappear into the ether.

:urff:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Firewall.
Bless...
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Gary wrote:well ive had about 10 returned mails today.. all apparently originaly sent from bob@fourth...co.uk

what fun ;)

Gary.
aye. me too - i've been getting about 50+ a day returned to whatever@myheartland.co.uk for the last coupel of days ,

i've turned the catchall address off so at least i dont get them anymore, they just disappear into the ether.

:urff:
actually, that'd create a bounce message, creating yet more traffic :wink: but now I'm getting pedantic.

So far I've only recieved a few messages on my work addy and none on my personal one (fingers crossed). It's cleaning up other people's mess that I'm hating.
mh
Above the Chemist

Karst wrote:Firewall.
Bless...
Aye, me too. Sheer bliss until some f**ker of a mobile user brings an already infected laptop onto your network. I had 3 months worth of self-congragulatory smugness go down the toilet last year with that.

So now I have 4 Firewalls (2 x Checkpoint in failover, 2 x Cisco Pix in failover), MailSweeper with NVC plugin, NAV corporate on all desktops kept fully up to date with alerting if anything gets in, and a bastard network admin (me) who won't even open ports to let himself have fun.

And still some poxy user brings it in on a floppy.

I give up.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Running a Mac tends to make one immune to most Windoze-targeted viruses :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
hallucienate
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Running a Mac tends to make one immune to most Windoze-targeted viruses :innocent:
You don't even have to use a mac for this one, just use a non MS Outlook based mail program an all will be OK. As long as you don't download it through Kazaa.

Pegasus mail works for me, so does windows update. and linux.

<rant>

All the networks I admin are done so remotely, so luckily I don't have to see the (l)users' faces. The worst are the ones that mail every bounce message they receive :roll: :roll:

</rant>
James Blast
Banned

markfiend wrote:Running a Mac tends to make one immune to most Windoze-targeted viruses :innocent:
:lol: :D :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Angelchild
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

On the topic of viruses can I ask if anyone else here has had the fake PayPal one which is doing the rounds?
Thanks!
"Ohne deine hilfe verliere
Ich mich in diesem ort"
cocoamix
Amphetamine Filth

Hey guys, don't worry. Uncle Bill says Viruses are good for Windows' maturation.

But if you're serious about security, you'd use Linux or OSX.
http://www.theregister.com/content/55/35175.html

And one more for the road.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Angelchild wrote:On the topic of viruses can I ask if anyone else here has had the fake PayPal one which is doing the rounds?
Thanks!
i get about 10 a day :urff:

thank christ for norton anti-virus :roll: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Angelchild wrote:On the topic of viruses can I ask if anyone else here has had the fake PayPal one which is doing the rounds?
Thanks!
i get about 10 a day :urff:

thank christ for norton anti-virus :roll: :notworthy:
I'm getting about 5-10 a day as well. But it's nice to get mail though isn't it?

AVG picks up and quarantines the virus with no fuss.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Thea
Overbomber

CellThree wrote:
I'm getting about 5-10 a day as well. But it's nice to get mail though isn't it?
aww bless! :roll: :lol:
mh
Above the Chemist

cocoamix wrote:Hey guys, don't worry. Uncle Bill says Viruses are good for Windows' maturation.
"To say that a system is secure because no-one is attacking it is very dangerous". Hmmmm. Why do I find myself agreeing with Bill here?

The vulnerabilities we know about are not the ones to be worried about, it's the stuff that may be lurking there that no-one knows about that gives me the heebeejeebies. At least with Windows, I can feel assured that if there is a vulnerability it will get discovered pretty quick (usually cos of some Linux evangelist trying to exploit it, how ironic), and if not patched then at least info on how to protect meself from it will be made available.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Linux is very good with security patches, patches to security holes are usually fixed in a number of days/hours.

We recently had a security issue with our form to mail script, notified the maintainer on the Friday and by the Sunday the patch was installed and working.

Most (if not all) of the worms effecting MS attack vulnerabilities that have been known about for months, and people just don't install the patches.

How I laughed when Slammer hit.
mh
Above the Chemist

Surely that's the fault of the people who don't install the patches rather than of the OS?
hallucienate
Overbomber

mh wrote:Surely that's the fault of the people who don't install the patches rather than of the OS?
yup, but also the fault of the provider. I mean, whoever thought "let's make a mail program that runs executables automatically!" has a lot to answer for.
mh
Above the Chemist

Can't argue with that, but in fairness they've gotten their act together a lot better with recent versions.
hallucienate
Overbomber

mh wrote:Can't argue with that, but in fairness they've gotten their act together a lot better with recent versions.
yeah, but all the old one's that give me nightmares.
mh
Above the Chemist

hallucienate wrote:
mh wrote:Can't argue with that, but in fairness they've gotten their act together a lot better with recent versions.
You ever see Windows 1? Now that was the true stuff of nightmares. An unstable, resource hungry text-based "GUI" with nothing but a file manager, a text editor and a clock!!!
hallucienate
Overbomber

mh wrote:
hallucienate wrote:
You ever see Windows 1? Now that was the true stuff of nightmares. An unstable, resource hungry text-based "GUI" with nothing but a file manager, a text editor and a clock!!!
nah, I was strickly a DOS kinda guy until I got a Pentium 100 with Win95 on it. I was lucky to skip all the early versions of Windows