Your Parents and Music!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Lamia
Amphetamine Filth

Just curious as to whether the music your parents listened to as you were growing up influenced you.

I remember my folks listening to a fair bit of motown and sixties rock n roll type stuff - it's ok, but wouldnt be my first choice, my baby bro on the other hand got hooked on 60s music (he's 30 now) when he was about 10 and could never understand my taste in music (he still doesnt!).

Must admit to being partial to a bit of Johnny Cash now and again.....! Have to blame the parents for that!! :wink:

I've never rammed my music down the throats of my kids, they have to develop their own individuality, am just glad to say they have outgrown Busted and Britney in their own time (which actually seems like an eternity!), but they got there in the end!

Takes all sorts to make the world go round - apparently!! :urff:
Intimations of mortality are all about me.....
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I was one of the luckier ones I think.
My folks brought me up on a diet consisting of Bowie, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Undertones, Queen, Talking Heads & Bauhaus to name but a few.

They set me up nicely. :)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
James Blast
Banned

There wasn't much music in my house as I grew up apart from Houswife's Choice on the 'light programme'. I had to make my own way...
Mott The Hoople and Alice Cooper were my first obsessions.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Glenn Miller dominated. :roll: No wonder I headed for Gary Numan.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

when i was growning up my mum was still into the stones, having been a massive fan in her youth.

my pa was into klaus wunderlich.

i guess i got my taste in music from her. :roll:

when i still lived at home, my mum used to like a lot of the music i was into - i came home one afternoon and she was playing one of my gene loves jezebel albums :lol: :notworthy: she also liked some of the later neph stuff :)

these days she's really into a lot of 80s synthpop bands - yazoo, depeche mode, erasure etc 8)

i think my dad still likes klaus wunderlich.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

Pulp! <snorts>
Much worse is having a girlfriend who is into $hite music, I had a 7 month relationship that was all Westlife, Boyzone, The Ugly one from t'Spice Girls, Thunder which wasn't to bad but mainly it was that Auzzie git Darren ex- Cabbage Garden.
Hellfire, what a man will do for a pretty face and big knorks!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Elvis.
James Blast
Banned

Viva Las Vegas!
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Red Sunsets wrote:Viva Las Vegas!
The City that Never Sleeps.

We had to leave our hotel at 4.30 am for the airport when we came home and damn if there weren't ppl out at the tables still gaming!! Got to love a town like that. And over Valentine's Weekend.... 3,000 weddings at those dodgy wedding chapels.... :kiss: How romantic!
Gripper
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My Mum and Dad weren't into anything at all- just a few Drifters and Perry Como albums lying about.
The breakthrough came when a friend's big brother got into Bowie, Alex Harvey and various Glam Rock bands. The die was cast...
My car's faster than your mum, but not as dirty.
James Blast
Banned

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band was the first ever live band I saw stride onto a stage. They supported Mott The Hoople at The Green's Playhouse before it became the famous Glasgow Apollo.
I was scared to death by the look and the noise SAHB made, I was 15 and all alone in my Hooplemania. Mott needless to say were most excellent, I remember thinking SAHB would sink without a trace, how wrong was I?
A few years later, The Who plus various supports live at Celtic Park - who roold thi day? Vambo Roold!
SAHB came home and rocked, I still smile at the memory of Alex's face when Faith Healer kicked in, he had the crowd in the palm of his hand and he knew it.

Hell, we need more Rock Gods like him!
may he R.I.P.

rant over
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

my mum was a big fan of the rolling stones and the beatles. it could have been worse i suppose judging by alot of the other threads on here! i still don't mind a bit of either of them now! she always supported me in the music that i liked though....always bought me the albums i wanted for birthdays and christmas, even menaged to track down some early sepultura imports for me! :notworthy:
James Blast
Banned

Always found The Beatles to be entertaining, The Stones too, just not my bag Bof.
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

To this day, I really dunno what my dad likes/liked musically speaking, because I've never actually noticed him listening to anything! I don't think he has any preference one way or another... *Boggles* :roll:

On the other hand, my mother has always been a music *fanatic*, having grown up in a family full of professional singers. I remember from childhood that she always had the radio blasting in the car, and the stereo blasting at home, and that because of her, my favorite song at the tender age of 5 was Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water." My mom's entire vinyl collection is still housed in my parents' basement, and includes:

The Rolling Stones
Jefferson Airplane
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beatles
The Moody Blues
Blind Faith
Otis Redding
Stevie Wonder
Aretha Franklin
Gladys Knight & The Pips
Carole King
Roberta Flack
Barbra Streisand
Dave Brubeck
Chicago Transit Authority
Sonny & Cher
Elvis
Jim Croce
Elton John
Simon & Garfunkel
Rod Stewart
Janis Joplin
Roy Orbison
Burt Bacharach
Engelbert Humperdinck
John Denver
Santana
Billie Holiday
Melanie
etc., etc., etc. She also has tons of movie soundtrack, Broadway musical, opera, and classical albums.

Did my mom's stuff influence my musical tastes? Erm...not so much.
:wink: :innocent: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wow! Tell us where you live and I'll burgle you ;)

My parents were into folk music mainly. My dad still pulls out his acoustic guitar and starts singing "Streets Of London" at the slightest provocation. A bit of country too, * and a slight sprinkling of odds and ends like The Hollies and Johnny Mathis.

* Is it just me, or was Johnny Cash a goth? Black clothes and songs about death... :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
sisxbeforedawn

hmmmmm, my parents where into Crystal Gale, Cliff Richard and the Nolans!! and they wonder why I turned out so warped :eek: :eek:

:von:

my worst memory was driving to France for a holiday and the only 8 track tape thingie they had was Crystal Gale and the Nolans 'the hits' locked in a confined space with that blasting into your skull. the only thing that made it worse was my younger sister and mum singing along.......
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
Black Shuck
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack bar, sucking sickly sausage rolls

Some bands my parents love but I hate.
Some bands I love but my parents hate (mainly 80s electronica).
But many bands we ALL love (Beatles, Bob Dylan, CSY+N, Neil Young etc.)

I suspect most peeps are in a similar position - I mean, your parents MUST have influenced you a bit, at least?
Gazza for England manager
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I grew up with alot of old Motown (Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops etc.) The Carpenters, Abba, Glen Campbell, Elvis Presley.
I remember watching Queen performing Bohemian Rhapsody on Top Of The Pops and uttering the now legendary words "Mum, can I have long hair too?"... "No you can't son, not while your living under my roof!" :)
The Scene won't save you...
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Dad was never into music. Mum was Patsy Cline, Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck. :urff:

One time she held a coffee morning and tried to be all hip and trendy and raided my record collection in my absence. Unfortunately, what she thought were 'safe' choices backfired.

Ian Durys 'New Boots And Panties' LP presented her with the spoken intro to Plaistow Patricia ' ...a*seholes, b*stards, f*cking c*nts and p*icks' whilst her attempt to save the situation with the Stranglers 'No More Heroes' LP simply dug her hole deeper with the chorus of Bring On The Nubiles ' ...lemme, lemme f*ck you, f*cuk you, lemme, lemme, f*cuk you, f*cuk you.'

Surprisingly, she never went near my record collection again.
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
wintermute
Amphetamine Filth

influenced maybe, but only in the sense of tabula rasa. neither of my parents even had a stereo, mine aged 12 was the first one in the house. mind you it was a few years ago.

not luddites, just not big music fans, so with only younger sibs, just radio 1 and peer group as influences.

can be liberating though, they never worried about what i was playing (so long as it didn't wake the neighbours) because it all sounded the same to them, philly soul or prog rock. plus l'il bro eventually developed reasonable taste and played me stuff i might not have listened to otherwise.
then he takes your hand in some strange californian handshake and breaks the bone
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Mother is a music teacher so I'm pretty classical trained (and play a bit Viola too - although it has been many moons).

8)
Big Si
School Bully

Abba, The Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel and Runrig :urff: :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

My Mum used to listen to Radio 2 all day. My Dad just wanted some peace and quiet. The only records I can remember them having were The New Seekers, Beatles Live @ Hollywood Bowl, a Sinatra compilation, a Benny Hill one with Ernie on it and the soundtrack to Oliver.

Got my musical influences from Top Of The Pops (Slade) and my elder brothers (Uriah Heep, Bowie, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd).
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Johnny Boy wrote:Ian Durys 'New Boots And Panties' LP presented her with the spoken intro to Plaistow Patricia ' ...a*seholes, b*stards, f*cking c*nts and p*icks'
I'll never forget the time my elder brother played that on my parents' mainly-for-show stereo in our living room. I'd not actually heard it but had heard of it. I cringed on the settee as my Mum read Cosmopolitan. She just looked up and smiled thinly at him. He'd always been a difficult child.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Thrash Harry wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:Ian Durys 'New Boots And Panties' LP presented her with the spoken intro to Plaistow Patricia ' ...a*seholes, b*stards, f*cking c*nts and p*icks'
I'll never forget the time my elder brother played that on my parents' mainly-for-show stereo in our living room. I'd not actually heard it but had heard of it. I cringed on the settee as my Mum read Cosmopolitan. She just looked up and smiled thinly at him. He'd always been a difficult child.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always a 'you can hear a pin drop' moment when it's played. ;D
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.