"ninety-six below the wave"

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
spartacus mills
Amphetamine Filth

what the flippin' hell does it mean?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

f**k knows :roll:

interesting first resut in google though! http://soush*tsu.net/sasayaku/

the * should be an i by the way :roll:
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 01 Mar 2004, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

don't you just love those lyrics websites?

it seems that HIM (*cough spit*) actually wrote temple of lurve :roll:

http://www.lyricscafe.com/h/him/049.htm

eejits!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

or was it written by ofra haza :roll:

http://www.lyricscrawler.com/song/65195.html
Big Si
School Bully

U-96, Das Boot.....anyone?

:roll:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Big Si wrote:U-96, Das Boot.....anyone?
LOL! That was playing on the monitors at my "favorite" g*th/industrial club Sat. night! :eek: :roll: ;D
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
DomConway
Filth

spartacus mills wrote:what the flippin' hell does it mean?
ISTR some discussion of this somewhere (Dominion list / UTR / here), which I very usefully can't remember much about. Apart from someone said there was a song by a punk band Eldo may have liked called 96 Below or Below The Wave. Hope that rings some bells for someone else cos I'm not being that helpful am I... :?
the only thing to fear is fear itself
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Wow. Just googling "ninety six below the wave" and found this.

Nice.

Also, this post gets me to UBG. Yay!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Avoid Google Groups - some guy used it as his signature, and it's all over the place.

My current favourite interpretation is that it's a reference to Lemmings.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

There was a suggestion that it was a reference to 96 Tears by ? and the Mysterions, but I have no idea if it's true.
Begemot
Road Kill

Hi, this is my first post...been wondering about this for ages, but stumbled across this today:

The Ninety Six National Historic Site is an area of unique historical significance. The unusual name was given by early traders in the 1700's because they mistakenly believed it was the estimated number of miles to the Cherokee village of Keowee in the upper South Carolina foothills.
By the mid-1700's, European colonists found it a favorable place to settle. During Ninety Six's early days, troubles with local Indians increased. In 1760, Cherokees twice attacked Fort Ninety Six, built for the settlers' protection. By the early 1700's, Ninety Six village reached its peak with a growing population, 12 houses and a newly constructed courthouse and jail.

Ninety Six also figured prominently in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution. The first land battle south of New England was fought here in 1775 and in 1780, the British fortified the strategically important frontier town. From May 22 - June 18, 1781; Major General Nathanael Greene with 1,000 patriot troops staged the longest (yet unsuccessful) siege of the Revolutionary War against 550 loyalists who were defending Ninety Six. The park site covers 989.14 acres.
James Blast
Banned

just as long as it's got nothing to do with Nine Below Zero
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

interesting reference... any idea how it might tie in to the rest of the lyrics then?

i cant help but wonder if its more than a little artistic license & turn of phrase to fit with the meter of the song :?:

welcome by the way ;) :D
Begemot
Road Kill

A reference to an unconquered/unconquerable fortress being overwhelmed by an unstoppable force?
Being645
Above the Chemist

sickboy wrote:the heart, which has the least mass to liquid ratio is 96% water. and the ocean is 96% water, 4% salt. many of his images refer to love, blood, ocean, the ocean...personally, i dont prefer he would employ 96 as referring to the ocean, and to waves in the same image. I'd like to think that hes referring to tears as wave and the heart as the 96 (%) below that wave. i've overexplained myself.

:lol: ... cool, nonetheless ... 8) :notworthy: ...

Btw, did anyone already say welcome here, sickboy? ... :D ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Big Si is probably correct that it's a reference to Das Boot
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Given the continued theme throughout the song's lyrics of explosions, war & destruction, it's quite pleasing that one of the early (but post-war) nuclear weapon tests in 1946 - the Crossroads BAKER Test - involved detonating a nuclear device 96 feet below the surface of the ocean (you can watch a video here). Just thought that was worth a mention. ;)
Being645
Above the Chemist

lazarus corporation wrote:Given the continued theme throughout the song's lyrics of explosions, war & destruction, it's quite pleasing that one of the early (but post-war) nuclear weapon tests in 1946 - the Crossroads BAKER Test - involved detonating a nuclear device 96 feet below the surface of the ocean (you can watch a video here). Just thought that was worth a mention. ;)
Very interesting aspect ... thanks for the link.
Hell, those responsible for this were just flat crazy ... :eek: :urff: ...
iesus
Overbomber

It is definetely a reference to Das Boot and specific to U-96
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
mh
Above the Chemist

And mystery solved, courtesy of the interview at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28953 - it's 96 Tears.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

So here we go ...