What to do in York

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Hey!

Ok, I may be heading up to York for the weekend this coming Friday. The day time is sorted out with the normal touristy things, but what to do in the evening? I don't know York that well at all, so I don't know what sort of clubs there are there or anything. Also I need cheap good accomodation. Anyone from that area?

And one other thing, it's possible I may be heading out in Leeds on the Sat night as I've been chatting to some people in one of the offices we deal with in Leeds and they've invited us out, so as we're in the area...Again, things to do would be good!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

leeds?

only half decent place left is the cockpit, underneath the railway station. the small room plays 80s indie and alternative classics: chameleons, sisters, smiths, cure, puressence, clash, buzzcocks, stranglers, and a bit of manc stuff: joy division, new order, stone roses, etc etc

the other two rooms in the cockpit are to be avoided like the plague though ;)

however, next saturday could well be "the wendy house" at the uni :D

http://www.thewendyhouse.org/

always worth a laugh ;)

might even be out and about myself - not sure yet ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

For a 'ruby' in York, ye cannae beat the Kagan Valley... but that was 1983. :oops:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

CellThree wrote:it's possible I may be heading out in Leeds on the Sat night...Again, things to do would be good!
Do you look anything like your avatar?
Go to sleep now, Francis.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Clubs in York? Not unless it's improved since my student days.

Many nice pubs, proper olde-worlde style drinking dens (especially the Blue Bell on Fossgate, even if it is tiny). A decent Italian restaurant, Fellini's, just opposite said boozer. Even, in this modern era, a half-decent art-house cinema. And it's very pretty if the weather's good and you're not over-run with tourists.

But no clubbing. Three candidates, all grim. Toffs is probably the least worst, but only in the sense that losing one eye is better than losing both.

* All recommendations date to my most recent visit, which was in 1998.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

andymackem wrote:Clubs in York? Not unless it's improved since my student days.

Many nice pubs, proper olde-worlde style drinking dens (especially the Blue Bell on Fossgate, even if it is tiny). A decent Italian restaurant, Fellini's, just opposite said boozer. Even, in this modern era, a half-decent art-house cinema. And it's very pretty if the weather's good and you're not over-run with tourists.

But no clubbing. Three candidates, all grim. Toffs is probably the least worst, but only in the sense that losing one eye is better than losing both.

* All recommendations date to my most recent visit, which was in 1998.
it hasnt changed :urff:

the blue bell is rather smashing though - in a pokey old world dive kinda way :notworthy:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I was slightly embarrassed when the barstaff actually recognised me if they encountered me elsewhere in the town. Bootham Crescent, Sainsburys .... I was stalked, and forced to consume more strange brown liquids.

Of course, back then it was a Vaux house, and had bottled Double Maxim or draught Waggle Dance. Happy days ....
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:however, next saturday could well be "the wendy house" at the uni :D

always worth a laugh ;)

I believe the Wendy House is this Saturday. I have been persuaded (against my better judgement :lol: ) to go...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

CellThree wrote:Hey!

Ok, I may be heading up to York for the weekend this coming Friday. The day time is sorted out with the normal touristy things, but what to do in the evening? I don't know York that well at all, so I don't know what sort of clubs there are there or anything. Also I need cheap good accomodation. Anyone from that area?

And one other thing, it's possible I may be heading out in Leeds on the Sat night as I've been chatting to some people in one of the offices we deal with in Leeds and they've invited us out, so as we're in the area...Again, things to do would be good!
always get chester and york mixed up :lol: :lol:

we stay in anice little B&B in Bootham, 2 mins form the ground and 3 mins from Bootham Bar.

Last time we were there, we managed to find a guide / pub crawl map around York. that was good fun :roll:

here's a link to stuff. just in case

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... gland.html
Goths have feelings too
snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

If in York always remember to go to a pub called "The Maltings". 5 mins away from the railway station. Best selection of real ale for such a small pub... :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:however, next saturday could well be "the wendy house" at the uni :D

always worth a laugh ;)

I believe the Wendy House is this Saturday. I have been persuaded (against my better judgement :lol: ) to go...
ahhhh :lol:

in which case....

i'm off to beautiful downtown bramall lane this saturday afternoon, but when i get back from sunny sheffield i might pop along to WH...

you definitely going then mf?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:you definitely going then mf?
Yup. Barring act-of-god ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Moz Magister
Road Kill

snowey wrote:If in York always remember to go to a pub called "The Maltings". 5 mins away from the railway station. Best selection of real ale for such a small pub... :D
That's 4 seconds away from my front door!

The Ackhorne (just off Micklegate) has a lot of good real beer as well.

The best thing I've found to do in York is dress up gothy & pretend you're leading a ghost walk. You can then take a bunch of gullible tourists anywhere you want.
Have Fun!

"As one door closes, another slams in your face"
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

The Maltings, the Ackhorne ... add in the Golden Ball and what used to be the Other Tap and Spile (now the Last Hussar?). Maybe the Spread Eagle before it was redone, and definitely the student mecca that was Heslington's Charles XII and I'm almost getting nostalgic for the old place.

Maybe I should drop by some day ... or maybe I'm better off with my memories.
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Go see Dick Turpin's grave , very easy to find . York dungeon is ok too .The viking place is rubbish though .
Don't suppose the railway museum would interest eh :D
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote:
CellThree wrote:it's possible I may be heading out in Leeds on the Sat night...Again, things to do would be good!
Do you look anything like your avatar?
Erm, no. Being of the male, non-eastern european, stripping persuasion!

All good ideas from everyone else!

I quite like Jorvik museum (although I haven't been there for a long time) and I intend to do the ghost walks and dungeons and all that as well.
Used to love the railway museum when I was a kid. Trains have lost their fasination nowadays, although you can't beat the smell of a steam train!

Cheers for the link PiB!

Hmm, me and my housemate are making a decision whether we'll be able to go or not at the mo. The Cat sitting may prove a problem. I'll keep ya posted!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

CellThree wrote:Erm, no. Being of the male, non-eastern european, stripping persuasion!
Shame. Leeds could do with a few more of them. I'm with Biggy on the Jorvik Centre - hugely unentertaining. And they're charging £6.50 to get into the Minster now. My advice would be to walk into the nearest pub and stay there until they chuck you out. And don't be tempted to run up the Castle hill. You'll only regret it.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

£6.50! For the Minster?!?!?!?

I'd suggest brushing up on that bit where jesus turned the money-changers out of the temple and having a bust up with the staff.

I caused great distress on a school trip to France when we went to some church which had a huge stained glass depiction of said biblical event. I didn't object to that, but I was a bit less impressed when I saw a stall selling reproductions and postcards of it ... in the middle of the church. At age 14 my French wasn't all _that_ fluent, but I still managed to embarass our teacher by trying to point out this ironic juxtaposition to our guide.

And you'll never regret trying to run up the mound on which Clifford's Tower stands (is that what you mean by Castle Hill?). Getting up there will almost kill you, but rolling back down while pissed is hilarious. The local police always think so, too :oops:
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

andymackem wrote:is that what you mean by Castle Hill?
Apparently so.

http://www.castlegatewebdesign.com/castles/YORK/