Happy St George's Day

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

Tis a beautiful sunny day too.

And a Mish gig tonight, we might get the empire back at this rate
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

you can't have it, its mine.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Ed Rhombus wrote:we might get the empire back at this rate
I hear Ron Atkinson's available if you're looking for Generals.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
hallucienate
Overbomber

fight! fight!
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I have Big Si as MY UberGeneral.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

lol.... come the revolution... he he.....

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

AND Sinny AND Paddy.
let the battle commence. blast 'em with riffs, pads!
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

AND Miss Goth is one of my special weapons.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Saint George? He was instrumental in the extinction of an endangered species. Ecological vandal!

Well, be honest, you don't see any dragons these days do you?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Big Si
School Bully

emilystrange wrote:I have Big Si as MY UberGeneral.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

DID you get that bloody U boat you wanted?
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

emilystrange wrote:AND Miss Goth is one of my special weapons.
you really are quite delusional aren't you?

:roll:
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

but she is.... its secret.

you would be delusional too, if you worked in pensions. It was Black Shuck who crowned me.
Tuscan Chimaera
Amphetamine Filth

St George was not English, never lived there, and all he did was possibly kill a dragon in what is possibly now Turkey.

Fvcking irrelevant.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

and at the risk of dragging this back on-topic...

as well as england, ol' georgey boy is also patron saint of aragon, agricultural workers, archers, armourers, beirut, lebanon, boy scouts, butchers, canada, cappadocia, catalonia, cavalry, chivalry, constantinople, crusaders, equestrians, farmers, ferrara italy, field hands, field workers, genoa, georgia, germany, gozo, greece, herpes, horsemen, horses, husbandmen, istanbul, knights, lepers, leprosy, lithuania, malta, moscow, order of the garter, palestine, palestinian christians, plague, portugal, riders, saddle makers, saddlers, skin diseases, skin rashes, soldiers, syphilis, teutonic knights and venice.

so, something for just about everybody.

and if you're a palestinian christian, farming leper who recently contracted a dose of syphilis in venice to go with the skin rash you picked-up in catalonia earlier in the year it's time to take to your horse and lead a parade of boy scouts through the streets of moscow...
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

emilystrange wrote:you would be delusional too, if you worked in pensions.
you work? when do you find the time? or is working in pensions a euphemism for pissing about on t'internet at someone else's expense?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just as a matter of interest, is anyone sure he ever existed? I know that a lot of the early "Christian Saints" were apocryphal (transfers of local deities into the fold if you will) so does anyone have any idea about ol' Georgie-boy?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

Wasn't he Pallestinian?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

According to Fortean Times:
23 April. St George's Day. 'Green George' was the spirit of spring, and his image was common in old church carvings, a human head surrounded by leaves or looking out of a tree trunk. Some called him the witches' god. George the dragon killer evolved from a mixture of Green George, the Northern hero Sigurd (Siegfied) the dragon-slayer and an Arian bishop of Alexandria who put to death an orthodox Master of the Mint called Dracontius (dragon). St George was adopted as the patron saint of England in 1349 when Edward III founded the Order of the Garter.
—Bertrand Russell
Karst
Slight Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote:and if you're a palestinian christian, farming leper who recently contracted a dose of syphilis in venice to go with the skin rash you picked-up in catalonia earlier in the year it's time to take to your horse and lead a parade of boy scouts through the streets of moscow...
And your point is...?

8)
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

RicheyJames wrote:or is working in pensions a euphemism for pissing about on t'internet at someone else's expense?
Have you checked the value of your pension fund lately?
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

markfiend wrote:According to Fortean Times:
23 April. St George's Day. 'Green George' was the spirit of spring, and his image was common in old church carvings, a human head surrounded by leaves or looking out of a tree trunk. Some called him the witches' god. George the dragon killer evolved from a mixture of Green George, the Northern hero Sigurd (Siegfied) the dragon-slayer and an Arian bishop of Alexandria who put to death an orthodox Master of the Mint called Dracontius (dragon). St George was adopted as the patron saint of England in 1349 when Edward III founded the Order of the Garter.
I hope you haven't spent the last two hours looking for that, Mr Fiend. I advise you to get out now while you've still got a semblance of sanity left.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Thrash Harry wrote:I hope you haven't spent the last two hours looking for that, Mr Fiend. I advise you to get out now while you've still got a semblance of sanity left.
:lol: No, don't worry, the FT site is on my favourites anyway; just a coincidence that the St George stuff is there. Apart from the fact they do an "on this day" slot every day.

I've actually been doing some work (shock horror!) :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

RicheyJames wrote:
emilystrange wrote:you would be delusional too, if you worked in pensions.
you work? when do you find the time? or is working in pensions a euphemism for pissing about on t'internet at someone else's expense?
i work hard. i passed exams for this. and i hate it. so give me a break.. i need to disengage sometimes.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

emilystrange wrote:i passed exams for this. and i hate it. so give me a break.. i need to disengage sometimes.
:cry: F*ck me that sounds familiar :evil:
—Bertrand Russell