Birmingham Powerhouse March 1985

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Was anyone here at the show/Does anyone know what is going on at the end of the show?

The band have almost finished 'Knocking on heavens door' when the power appears to get turned off, ending the track there and then.

Then someone with a Birmingham acccent (I'm guessing it's the promoter/venue owner) comes to the mike (which is now turned back on)and says "Yea, that's really intelligent, look there's a f*****g football stadium for sale up there. If you want to go, just bloody go".

At this point the crowd burst out laughing and jeering.

Does any one know what happened?
Give me one good reason
Hojyuu-obi

I have also wondered about this ?
Doctor Avalanche
Amphetamine Filth

me too
"My mommy always said
there were no monsters"

"No real ones"

"But there are,
aren't there?"
Dan
Overbomber

Listening to my tape I hear people in the audience mention "aggro merchants" & "hooligans", then the guy on the mic with "there's a f*****g football stadium
up the sta(ge).. up there".

I assume they stopped because of people in the audience fighting.
James Blast
Banned

I take it it's an oblique ref. to
if you want to fight, go up the football ground?
:roll:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Dan
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I take it it's an oblique ref. to
if you want to fight, go up the football ground?
:roll:
Not so oblique. England is well known for it's football hooliganism, and there was a lot more of it in the 80's than today.
Dave R

Twas a habit back in the day to launch oneself from the balcony of the powerhouse into the mosh pit, (amazing the powers of drugs eh?) and a familiar sight at sisters/play dead/lorries/nma gigs at the powerhouse was the "aerial mosh" whereby some foolhardy young lads :innocent: :innocent: would leap into the pit and start a right good ruck. One local promoter (Name of Andy - wrote the music column in the local rag) got so pissed off with it eventually it led to this.

References to the sad clan up at Small Heath Association Football Club, or Zulu Army as they like to be known.

It was a common thing for the power to be cut at the Aptly named powerhouse, was why most discerning bands played at the Fantasy in Bradford Street instead.......

And yep, i was there.....appy days...goes all teary eyed and hobbles off with war wound..... :twisted:
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?
Hojyuu-obi

Dave R wrote:Twas a habit back in the day to launch oneself from the balcony of the powerhouse into the mosh pit, (amazing the powers of drugs eh?) and a familiar sight at sisters/play dead/lorries/nma gigs at the powerhouse was the "aerial mosh" whereby some foolhardy young lads :innocent: :innocent: would leap into the pit and start a right good ruck. One local promoter (Name of Andy - wrote the music column in the local rag) got so pissed off with it eventually it led to this.

References to the sad clan up at Small Heath Association Football Club, or Zulu Army as they like to be known.

It was a common thing for the power to be cut at the Aptly named powerhouse, was why most discerning bands played at the Fantasy in Bradford Street instead.......

And yep, i was there.....appy days...goes all teary eyed and hobbles off with war wound..... :twisted:
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell?
Dave R

Yet another Powerhouse anecdte, seeing as i am in the mood..........

When the Mish did Expedition I they played the powerhouse, yep you all knew that...

What a lot of folk are not aware of was one certain Gent :von: in the audience to witness a rather drunk wayne (no surprise there) duetting with Fat Mark from Balaam....

During said gig, the aerial mosh was well under way, but this time was met with anti aircraft fire, in the form of squshy glasses half filled with various liquids......use your imagination....

When one of these AAF Missiles did not find its target, some flying lout...but instead bounced just in front of the desk onto one certain Gent who then promptly left......

What I would like to have heard the sound guy say would have been:

"Ladies and Gentleman, Eldritch has left the building..."

a missed opportunity that one.... :D
M . I . A .

On Patrol..............?