Geetar Gods

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

I just happen to be sat with my elbow on Issue #120 of Total Guitar magazine featuring Zakk Wylde - one of Junior's heroes, along with some geezer called Stevie Ray Vaughn (of Bowie's Let's Dance album fame, so I've since discovered). As I'm a firm believer in a catholic education, which other string twiddlers do you suggest he studies? Hendrix and Page are taken as read.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
James Blast
Banned

John McLaughlin - jazz speed
Robert Fripp - technque
David Gilmour of The Pink Floyd - genius
Peter Townsend of The Who - power chords
Scott Ian of the Anthrax - thrash metal rhythm geetar to the max
Will Sargent of EATB - style and verve
Bernard Butler - another genius
Steve Hackett of the Genesis - tenderness with power
John Squire of The Stone Roses (only) - genius

I'll stop now.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Kirk Hammet from Metallica. The guy is THEE supreme axeman IMO.
I actually respect a lot of guitarists in Death/Black Metal bands, the speed they play some of their solo's defy's belief sometimes. I guess they're classed as being in too diverse a genre to get any kind of recognition though. Shame.

Stick with Kirk & your onto a winner Thrashman.
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
James Blast
Banned

I really can't agree with you pl
I heard and saw Kurt Hamster do thee worst guitar solo, ever!, at the SECC, Snakepit#1 tour.
It was so bad, even I (a bass player) could have done a better job.

To this day, I still can't believe they booted Jason Newkid and kept the Hamster.
Ach! well, Voivod are back on track
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

This man is 'the' geetar god.......

http://www.satriani.com/2004/
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Geordie Walker
The Edge
Bill Duffy

To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

LMAO..... (generally)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote: Zakk Wylde
:oops: :wink:

um but seriously......pretty much any black metal guitarist like Samoth or Isahn from Emperor!
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Thankyou good people for your suggestions. I'll pass them on.

@Sunsets: He took a bit of convincing about Mr Gilmour, but TG magazine helped. He appreciated John Squire fairly quickly. He's definitely mentioned Townsend and I think I've heard the word Anthrax in a non-terrorist context.

@Purple Light: He's already a big Metallica fan. I agree with you on the speed metal thing. I always hated metal until Junior started playing and I began to appreciate the skill factor. All that two hand tapping stuff can be quite amazing. I'm still more of a lyric man, myself, though.

@Steve: He's definitely familiar with some of Joe Satriani's work. I think TG did a 'Variations on Parisien Walkway' by him and a couple of others I can't rememebr now. Is that a tabbed songbook you're suggesting? His birthday's coming up soon.

@Snub: I'm pretty sure he's heard of The Edge and I regularly subject him to the Love album in the car. Google tells me Geordie Walker's from Killing Joke. Doubt he's heard of him, but I'll suggest it.

Once again. Thankyou all for taking the time.

:notworthy:
Silver_Owl
The Don

@Harry - Yes mate.
Available here (along with a few other tab books).....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 24-1958061
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote:@Snub: I'm pretty sure he's heard of The Edge and I regularly subject him to the Love album in the car. Google tells me Geordie Walker's from Killing Joke. Doubt he's heard of him, but I'll suggest it.
GW doesn't do solos, but is king of the power chords IMO.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Cheers Steve. Just checked and it's only a fiver (plus p&p of course). Any others you recommend, I can't get away with spending that little on him! Amazon are suggesting Guitar World Presents Private Lessons. Any idea what that's like? Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen and Kirk Hammett are all guitarists I know he likes.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Nae problem Harry.

Despite what our esteemed friend Mr Blast thinks, I believe Kirk is technically superb and he just happened to see him on a bad day.

What about Randy Rhodes - don't know if there are any tab books?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol:
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Andie
Overbomber

snubnoseuk wrote:Geordie Walker
The Edge
Bill Duffy

The Edge.. :notworthy:

Billy Duffy... :roll: ...you cannot be serious...now i'm a big Cult fan...and a Billy fan...yeah babe...but as a geetar god...no way in this life or the next...he is average IMHO...sex god is prolly a better description... :twisted:
Mrs. Snowey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Red Sunsets wrote:Will Sargent of EATB - style and verve
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Not to mention cool as a very cool thing indeed :D
Silver_Owl
The Don

Burn wrote:
snubnoseuk wrote:Geordie Walker
The Edge
Bill Duffy

The Edge.. :notworthy:

Billy Duffy... :roll: ...you cannot be serious...now i'm a big Cult fan...and a Billy fan...yeah babe...but as a geetar god...no way in this life or the next...he is average IMHO...sex god is prolly a better description... :twisted:
He's a reet short arse - that Duffy. He's no sex god or geetar god. Bless him.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Well I think BD is a really, jolly super guitar player. I shall defend him with my life.

Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Padstar wrote:LMAO..... (generally)
You're not tempted to join in then?
James Blast
Banned

Mrs. Snowey wrote:Not to mention cool as a very cool thing indeed :D
Indeed Mrs. Snowey he is one of my all time favourites, Broke My Neck (long version) still sends shivers.
~ Peter Steele
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Thrash Harry wrote:I think TG did a 'Variations on Parisien Walkway' by him and a couple of others I can't rememebr now.
Junior wrote:No, Dad, it was Guitar Techniques magazine with Setzer, Satriani and Carlton playing Sleepwalk. And Satriani taught Steve Vai.
Sorry Son. I'll go and make your tea now.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Thrash Harry wrote:
Padstar wrote:LMAO..... (generally)
You're not tempted to join in then?
To be honest, if i got started ide never stop!!!

Maybe ill meet junior one day and we can chat guitarists!!! more than happy to do that !!!!

For me there are just soooooo many guitarists i like....

My advise is just learn what you like to start with, get in a band as soon as poss, and take guitar lessons AFTER you have deveoped some bad habits.... it will open doors but not force uniformity into your playing style.

:)
Paddy.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Gary ??? Jim ??? Ian Smurph ??? Keys ??? Moonknight???

Anything to add you guys ???

Paddy.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Padstar wrote:Maybe ill meet junior one day
You're already first in thh Thankyou list on his first album.
Padstar wrote:get in a band as soon as poss
I know he wants to but he's a bit shy and not sure how to go about it. And I thought learning guitar would make losing his virginity easier.
James Blast
Banned

Thrash Harry wrote:And I thought learning guitar would make losing his virginity easier.
Just get in the van.
~ Peter Steele